Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2020, 04:24 PM   #1

macerator pump

I知 looking for a sewer pump to use when camping next to several friends whose homes are built up higher than where I can setup my trailer. The only available places to push the sewer matter is at least 5 feet above my sewer hose connector. Has anyone had any experience with these type of pumps that can push sewer water/matter that high or higher. I知 looking at using a regular garden hose to do this. Cost is not a factor but reliability is. If you have had personal experience with one of these pumps I壇 love to here from you. Dennis
Dennis878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:24 PM   #2

I bought one of these pumps to pump to our clean out in the garage that gets power from the RV batteries.

https://amarine.store/products/amari...boat-rv-marine

We only pump 50' up 3-4', but it works great. I use a 3/4" garden from the pump to the clean out.

It has a RV connector on the one end, but I would not connect it directly to you drain pipe, it is flimsy. I made a small 2' section of regular sewer hose using an old hose and a connector like these.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BQR8TE..._toBoFb91PYG16

And one of these to help flush the hose and see what's going on.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002UHVAA..._QqBoFb75EDS8J
corocky1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 08:37 PM   #3

I have one also. On my 2nd one as seal failed on first and rusted out bearing (look the same 2 different brands,). No room in current MH cabinet
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 10:40 AM   #4
Retired Panpsychist

I bought one of THESE from a forum member a few months back. We used it recently when dry camping to empty our tanks using a 3/4" hose into our blue-boy perched in the truck's bed (approx. 4'). No problem with that uphill push. You certainly want to use 3/4" hose and not 5/8".

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 10:54 AM   #5

I purchased a Flojet pump to move my waste up into a tank in my pickup.

It uses a positive displacement pump and appears capable of lifting the liquid waste dozens of feet. Super handy if the disposal site is a lot higher than the waste discharge port on the RV.

A note on the Flowjet pump. When I received mine the first use blew the fuse on the control "handle". I checked the rotor to see if it was free and sure enough the rubber impeller in the pump portion had stuck to the pump body due to just sitting after assembly with no lube.

I put a tablespoon of Dawn detergent in the inlet, turned the metal "chopper wheel" with a screwdriver. Replaced the fuse and it's worked flawlessly since. Once used it gets plenty of natural lubrication to prevent sticking.

Stores in a nice plastic container and is easy to store. Box is about the size of a cordless drill storage box.

A little pricey at $220 or so but worth the money considering the ease of use and versatility. I wired mine so it gets power from my tow vehicle with a long extension (heavy wire) so I can pump into my TV even if it's parked on the other side of my TT.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 12:01 PM   #6

This pump Amarine Made 12V Self-Priming RV Mount Macerator Waste Water Pump 45 LPM 12GPM Boat RV Marine gets very poor ratings from Amazon. 55% give 5 stars, 3.8 over all.

The floret Jet is much more expense and not without its problems also but better ratings from Amazon. I知 sure different models maybe better than another.

This is one item I don稚 want to skimp on for obvious reasons. I知 still looking and thanks for the responses.
Dennis878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 12:24 PM   #7

The Amarine unit is a stripped down pump. Among the missing items are that control switch, storage box, and not sure it is a positive displacement pump (just a centrifugal pump which may run out of steam with higher lifts). Also no flush fitting to help "jet out" any stubborn residue from the black tank.

There is also the "Recpro" macerator pump that is a knock off of the Flojet but most knock off's usually are built as cheap as possible. How else can they keep the price down.

The Flowjet has thermal protection so if it heats up from use the motor won't destroy itself. Let it cool and back in business (of getting rid of your business ).

Flojet has almost 1200 reviews on amazon. As I read through many of the negative reviews it is apparent that operator error of basic knowledge of electric/mechanical devices was lacking. Just check to see if motor runs freely before trying to pump sewage, being careful to not break lock tabs off when attaching, and not running forever or through a small hose can go a long way toward eliminating those issues.

I don't sell Flojet pumps but have had my fill of cheap knockoffs so I don't buy on the basis of price. But that's just me.

Old 08-20-2020, 12:30 PM   #8

Old 08-20-2020, 02:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I purchased a Flojet pump to move my waste up into a tank in my pickup.

It uses a positive displacement pump and appears capable of lifting the liquid waste dozens of feet. Super handy if the disposal site is a lot higher than the waste discharge port on the RV.

A note on the Flowjet pump. When I received mine the first use blew the fuse on the control "handle". I checked the rotor to see if it was free and sure enough the rubber impeller in the pump portion had stuck to the pump body due to just sitting after assembly with no lube.

I put a tablespoon of Dawn detergent in the inlet, turned the metal "chopper wheel" with a screwdriver. Replaced the fuse and it's worked flawlessly since. Once used it gets plenty of natural lubrication to prevent sticking.

Stores in a nice plastic container and is easy to store. Box is about the size of a cordless drill storage box.

A little pricey at $220 or so but worth the money considering the ease of use and versatility. I wired mine so it gets power from my tow vehicle with a long extension (heavy wire) so I can pump into my TV even if it's parked on the other side of my TT.
BTW, on the end of the motor there is a rubber cap you can remove to expose the end of the shaft...it has a slot to use a screwdriver. Turn clockwise to unfreeze. (see your instructions for more details)
Kcoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 06:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
I bought one of THESE from a forum member a few months back. We used it recently when dry camping to empty our tanks using a 3/4" hose into our blue-boy perched in the truck's bed (approx. 4'). No problem with that uphill push. You certainly want to use 3/4" hose and not 5/8".
I have one of these as well. I use 1" hose for mine. Basically...this hose https://www.amazon.com/Clean-Dump-CD...3GQ8KWV12PWXMP
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 11:00 AM   #11

I also use the Flo-Jet macerator pump and can say good things about it. I use mine to pump up to the tank in the back of my truck and to a sewerage connection at home. To see how effective this pump is I filled my black tank with clean water at home, hooked up the pump with a 5/8" discharge hose, turned on the hose and held it as high as I could reach. The flow was good with the hose end about eight ( 8) feet off the ground.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump