Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2020, 04:10 PM   #1

MAX Flow RV Water Pressure Regulator

I'm in the market for a new water pressure regulator, having unintentionally gifted my adjustable regulator to whoever came in behind me the last time we were out. I saw this on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CHP9BJT...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Has anyone used one or have an educated opinion? Seems like a good principle but it's a bit pricey.

Thanks,
Mark
MarkPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 09:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkPW View Post

Has anyone used one or have an educated opinion? Seems like a good principle but it's a bit pricey.

Thanks,
Mark
Only an educated opinion.

Can't see why one would need that much flow capability unless you have a couple bathrooms and everyone runs the faucets at the same time.

Most faucet flow is limited to ~2 gallon per minute or less. If your water system functions well on the water pump that's usually ~3-5 gpm so again not sure the extra flow claimed is needed. Pricey for a regulator that is not adjustable and has no gauge.

Washing machine? Maybe greater flow needed.

I have one like this:

https://smile.amazon.com/RVGUARD-Pre...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

It has gauge and can be adjusted for whatever pressure you want.

I can run all faucets in my TT and shower with no flow loss due to pressure drop. These can be had for $22-$29.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 09:46 PM   #3

X2 with the need for such heavy flow. I also run an adjustable regulator set at 40 psi.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 10:31 PM   #4
NXR

"The Max Flow RV Regulator produces 47 PSI at the outlet, ..."

If you have a Shurflo 4008 water pump as many RV's, including ours, uses, the water pump turns on at 40 PSI and off at 55 PSI. I keep my adjustable regulator set at 55 or so because if the water pump will deliver it, it must be safe. (Pex is tested to 100 PSI initially and then dropped to 80 PSI for the remainder of the testing, I believe.)

We notice a pretty good difference in the shower pressure when the incoming water pressure is 45 or lower.

Ray
Old 11-28-2020, 06:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Can't see why one would need that much flow capability unless you have a couple bathrooms and everyone runs the faucets at the same time.
I don’t disagree with your thoughts on the amount of flow needed for RV water usage, but when it comes to PRVs, generally, the amount of flow is an indicator of the quality and performance of a PRV — the less restriction caused by a PRV, the better. This factor is always something to be considered when deciding which PRV is most suitable for a particular installation with larger water systems.

I’ve never before seen the PRV the OP posted a link to, but based on its shape and body size, relative to the inlet and outlet, it has a fairly good-sized diaphragm with room for a fairly good-sized spring which are the two main things that make up a good PRV.

Bruce
Old 11-28-2020, 02:11 PM   #6

Unhappy Sub freezing temps

Don't forget to keep your regulator in the house or other area that will not freeze. Freezing can wreck a good water regulator. Don't ask how I know!!!
petrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 02:22 PM   #7

I use one just like this and I set the pressure at about 55 psi.
Works great and I never have to worry about water pressure being too high.
Unlikely but removes worry.
Dbrote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 02:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
I don’t disagree with your thoughts on the amount of flow needed for RV water usage, but when it comes to PRVs, generally, the amount of flow is an indicator of the quality and performance of a PRV — the less restriction caused by a PRV, the better. This factor is always something to be considered when deciding which PRV is most suitable for a particular installation with larger water systems.

I’ve never before seen the PRV the OP posted a link to, but based on its shape and body size, relative to the inlet and outlet, it has a fairly good-sized diaphragm with room for a fairly good-sized spring which are the two main things that make up a good PRV.

Bruce
It probably is a good regulator but for my desires it lacks an integral gauge and means of adjusting pressure.

Couple that with a price 50% higher than the ones that do have those features this one will never show up on my Wish List.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 08:05 PM   #9

High water pressure may be nice, but remember, higher pressure moves more water and that can lead to a need for more water tank fills and same need for holding tank dumps. For me, I went through less water at 40 lbs in previous TT. Again, this is camping and not our residential homes.
Old 11-28-2020, 09:38 PM   #10
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob2019 View Post
High water pressure may be nice, but remember, higher pressure moves more water and that can lead to a need for more water tank fills and same need for holding tank dumps. For me, I went through less water at 40 lbs in previous TT. Again, this is camping and not our residential homes.
Sorry, I'm not following. The regulator is external so it cannot lead to more tank fills. It can fill the fresh tank faster, though.

With our Shurflo water pump, we're getting 55 PSI out of the fresh tank whether we want it or not. Hint: We do.

Ray
Old 11-28-2020, 11:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Sorry, I'm not following. The regulator is external so it cannot lead to more tank fills. It can fill the fresh tank faster, though.

With our Shurflo water pump, we're getting 55 PSI out of the fresh tank whether we want it or not. Hint: We do.

Ray
The higher the water pressure when you turn on a lav, sink, or shower faucet, the more water volume flows. Many times a person doesn't realize how much water is passing through. I certainly note this with a higher pressure pump, whether from the internal water tank or from high city water pressure. Note some time washing your hands, taking a shower or brushing teeth. You use a lot more volume of water at higher pressures than low. A person really has to be conscious with the water volume and limit amount going down the drain or you will find the water tank dry or gray tank full.
Old 11-29-2020, 12:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Sorry, I'm not following. The regulator is external so it cannot lead to more tank fills. ...
I took that to mean more tank drains, as in having to dump the gray tank more often if higher water pressure leads to higher flow rates.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 11:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Only an educated opinion.

Most faucet flow is limited to ~2 gallon per minute or less. If your water system functions well on the water pump that's usually ~3-5 gpm so again not sure the extra flow claimed is needed. Pricey for a regulator that is not adjustable and has no gauge.

Washing machine? Maybe greater flow needed.

I have one like this:

https://smile.amazon.com/RVGUARD-Pre...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

It has gauge and can be adjusted for whatever pressure you want.

I can run all faucets in my TT and shower with no flow loss due to pressure drop. These can be had for $22-$29.

Could you tell me if this will completely drain when detached from the water system. Example it is freezing tonight and I will detach my water lines and this RVGUARD. If I also detach from the hose will
it drain completely so I can store it over night in my outside storage or will I have to take it in the TT for save storage?

Thanks
campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 11:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by campers302 View Post
Could you tell me if this will completely drain when detached from the water system. Example it is freezing tonight and I will detach my water lines and this RVGUARD. If I also detach from the hose will
it drain completely so I can store it over night in my outside storage or will I have to take it in the TT for save storage?

Thanks
Usually where it is freezing, the parks have frost free sillcocks. So you have to remove the hose to let them drain back below ground. I remove the regulator from the faucet (with hose), then remove the RV end of the hose and drain the hose. Usually I just leave the hose on the ground, but if it's really cold, I just use the hose to fill the fresh tank, remove, and use the pump.
Then no worries about the hose, regulator, or faucet.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure, water