Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2022, 11:01 PM   #1

Messed up on black tank flush and now toilet is backed up! :/

Hello friends. New to the thread and RV life. Full timer as of a couple of weeks. I own a 2021 Thor Chateau 28Z.

Here is the situation. I noticed my black tank was full. Not sure how but I went with it and opened the drain valve but nothing really came out. I assumed it was a sensor issue since I read about them alot. I tried to flush the tank from the sewer flush inlet on the exterior. I did what others have done here. Well, I forgot to open the dump valve and got distracted by another task and heard my wife and kid screaming that the toilet and sink were overflowing. I got the water turned off and tried to dump the black tank But my toilet was full of black tank water and so was my sink. Gross! Anywho, I couldn't flush the toilet! I turned off my fresh water hose bib at the campsite and tried flushing again. But the only thing that happened was I was able to drain the sink and not the toilet. I plunged it at first and nothing happened but water bouncing in and out of the sink ha. So I tried some youtube suggestions but the toilet is still backed up with standing water. I was going to get a black tank rinse. The one where you open the gate valve and hook your water hose up to it.

So I have no idea what to do. I don't want to break camp and take it to the shop even though I have a warranty. It has to be a clog. What have you done to get this flowing again? We haven't used the toilet much so I can't imagine what was in there. It was cleaned at the RV dealer before we got it.
Old 01-25-2022, 12:10 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffmanFamilyCircus View Post
I was going to get a black tank rinse. The one where you open the gate valve and hook your water hose up to it..
That's probably not the best move you could make at this time. That's going to put more water into the black water tank and you'll get more backup into your toilet and sink.
It sounds like you've got a clog or a stuck valve. You said you've tried other remedies. Have you tried running a snake down there to see if there is an obstruction.... or an endoscope made for seeing down pipes? Sometimes opening and closing the dump valve a few times will help dislodge an obstruction.
Is this the first time you've tried to dump the black tank? This could be caused by construction debris or something that doesn't dissolve being 'flushed'. You might want to call your dealer and see if they'll authorize a 'mobile mechanic' coming out to take a look.
It sounds like you've got a rig where the bathroom sink is plumbed into the black water tank. So even though you haven't used the toilet much, the sink has been pouring water into that black tank. Our rig is plumbed like that and we've taken to washing our hands in the kitchen sink.
Old 01-25-2022, 12:14 AM   #3

Quote:
... I did what others have done here. Well, I forgot to open the dump valve and got distracted by another task and heard my wife and kid screaming that the toilet and sink were overflowing. ...
You, too, have been baptized, in a sense. (I did that last summer.)

Old 01-25-2022, 05:27 AM   #4
Camping the Natural State

I think surely the dump valve isn't opening.
Old 01-25-2022, 08:01 AM   #5
Trailer Park Supervisor

This thread might point you in the right direction.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4...lve-25972.html
Old 01-25-2022, 08:12 AM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Hello friends. New to the thread and RV life. Full timer as of a couple of weeks. I own a 2021 Thor Chateau 28Z.

Here is the situation. I noticed my black tank was full. Not sure how but I went with it and opened the drain valve but nothing really came out. I assumed it was a sensor issue since I read about them alot. I tried to flush the tank from the sewer flush inlet on the exterior. I did what others have done here. Well, I forgot to open the dump valve and got distracted by another task and heard my wife and kid screaming that the toilet and sink were overflowing. I got the water turned off and tried to dump the black tank But my toilet was full of black tank water and so was my sink. Gross! Anywho, I couldn't flush the toilet! I turned off my fresh water hose bib at the campsite and tried flushing again. But the only thing that happened was I was able to drain the sink and not the toilet. I plunged it at first and nothing happened but water bouncing in and out of the sink ha. So I tried some youtube suggestions but the toilet is still backed up with standing water. I was going to get a black tank rinse. The one where you open the gate valve and hook your water hose up to it.

So I have no idea what to do. I don't want to break camp and take it to the shop even though I have a warranty. It has to be a clog. What have you done to get this flowing again? We haven't used the toilet much so I can't imagine what was in there. It was cleaned at the RV dealer before we got it.
Not sure about your THOR unit but some R/Vs have TWO black tank valves for the SAME black tank. The 2nd (actually it's the 1st) valve is on the opposite side of the R/V.

Days Camped: '17=38 '18=49 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=88
Old 01-25-2022, 08:19 AM   #7
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Not sure about your THOR unit but some R/Vs have TWO black tank valves for the SAME black tank. The 2nd (actually it's the 1st) valve is on the opposite side of the R/V.
I only skimmed the thread I posted above your post, but that's what I'm thinking.
Old 01-25-2022, 08:31 AM   #8

5Picker is correct.
Follow the black tank tube across the back of the coach. The tube makes a 90 degree bend and heads toward the front of the coach. You'll find a second dump valve shortly after the bend.
Old 01-26-2022, 08:16 AM   #9

It's a dirty job, but somebody has to do it. But you have already been christened. What I suspect is happening is that the TP and solids have blocked the exit pipe. I did a MacGyver and found a metal clothes hanger in the closet. I made a straight wire out of it, bending it toward the discharge opening and used it as a plumbing rat. Working from the toilet, you will be able to tell when the wire hits the tank wall or penetrates the opening. Poking it repeatedly when it is in the opening should break it loose. A little bend in the wire at the end will help dislodge the solids. It may take some prodding before the tank has a bowl movement. It will come out like diarrhea, so I wouldn't suggest working from outside. Hope this helps.
Old 01-26-2022, 09:01 AM   #10

Second valve possibly. Follow the outside discharge and see if another valve exists.
The poop pyramid: my valves are located above the under belly. What a pain to remove the panels. The valve was working fine. Now for the semi gross part. It is your matter so….
Water off, trash bag on the arm. Push the pedal to open the flush plate. A helper is good because the spring has some tension. Now down the hole with hand/arm and massage action to break up the . It worked for me…
Oh honey the toilet does not flush, I thought broken part, Notta! How often were you draining this tank? Every 2-3 days. I advised *♀️not to do it for a week. It worked! It’s your turd . My arm was down the hole….
Good Luck
Old 01-26-2022, 10:38 AM   #11

"I was going to get a black tank rinse. The one where you open the gate valve and hook your water hose up to it."

I didn't fill my tank anywhere as much as you, but I tried a reverse rinser and it too weak for any effect. I used a Swivel Stick down thru the toilet and finally broke it free, but it sounds like you can't add any more water without flooding the rig more. I'm wondering if you could call in a honey truck to suck it out thru the toilet or the discharge?
Old 01-26-2022, 10:47 AM   #12

With your toilet being located on the passenger side, most likely a second valve. If not, you have a bad clog.
After my last rv with the toilet on the passenger side, I will never own another one. Nothing but trouble with the black tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	055B6E8D-54C2-43C3-A946-277235AA4E60.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	268193  
Old 01-26-2022, 11:12 AM   #13

The acted like a reverse plug and clogged the riser pipe from the tank to the toilet. Not enough water and to much paper and # 2 = the 10 second flush rule.
Old 01-26-2022, 12:50 PM   #14

My new (at the time) Wildwood had the same problem. I eventually hired a honey dipper to suck out the black tank. Found the manufacturer left a plug inside the tank from when they installed the tank wash system. That round "plug" closed off the drain line. A cheap and quick fix to a terrible situation.
Old 01-26-2022, 02:10 PM   #15

Quote:

I like the honey wagon solution, I never thought of that. I use to have terrible dumping problems with my current RV. It always wanted to clog. One thing I did to help was to leave the black tank valve open and briefly open the valve on a full gray tank. Open it just long enough to create a vacuum then close the gray tank valve and pray. I had to do it several times to get it to pull the black tank stuff out. Good luck.
Old 01-26-2022, 02:20 PM   #16

We had a septic service come empty our RV this fall at home in the driveway when we winterized - very handy and not expensive $40
Old 01-26-2022, 06:53 PM   #17

A Flush King might allow you to create pressure/suction to help remove the clog. I have also had success with a plunger if you can keep from losing your pressure through the sink by stuffing a wet rag in it. Still may not work if the vent releases the pressure.
Old 01-26-2022, 07:00 PM   #18

Almost two days and no reply. Certainly fixed by now ?
Old 01-26-2022, 08:16 PM   #19

Are you serious?

Quote:

Grey tanks now dump into black tanks??
Old 01-26-2022, 09:57 PM   #20
Canadian Member

The thread that NJKris linked to includes a post with the layout of the wastewater drainage system in that coach. (I wish FR would release documents like that!) I've attached that PDF file. See page 17 in the PDF file.

There is a single dump outlet with separate termination valves for the black and grey tanks (one tank each). However, it looks like there is also another 3-1/2" waste valve at the black tank outlet. Its part number 1 on page 17. Never seen that arrangement before. Hopefully CoffmanFamilyCircus can figure out where that valve is and make sure that its open.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Chateau-Four Winds_28Z_diagrams .pdf (2.95 MB, 82 views)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

Closed Thread

Tags
black, black tank, black tank flush, flush, tank, toilet