Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2015, 02:36 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaddiva View Post
Oh man I sure hope my 2016 2604ws is not set up that way!! Not a good setup for a boondocker.
Is there a way for me to find out without too much trouble?Thanks!!
My 2010 Rockwood 2604's shower drains into the black tank, apparently because it is right over it. Bathroom and galley sinks drain into the grey tank. Go figure.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 03:35 PM   #22

My gray tank always fills long before my black tank. Having this could be a bit of a blessing. You have me thinking maybe I should run my sink into the black tank. Guess what, your home sink runs into the same drain line as your home toilet. Nothing wrong with that. That's why we have traps. As long you are using the sink, it will have adequate water in the trap. Of course, pour some RV antifreeze in the trap when winterizing.

I wouldn't do anything until you have some experience with the rig. If you consistently fill your black tank first, and that creates a problem, then that would be about the only reason to go to the effort of rerouting the sink drain line. If the gray fills first, don't change a thing. Otherwise, its fine.

Charlie
CharlieS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 03:47 PM   #23
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOODMAN View Post
Two things going on here...
1. I don't think it is EVER a good thing to route gray water to a black tank. Besides the potential backups, there is the odor issue. You shouldn't smell stanky frmo any sink...
That's what P traps are for is to seal the drain from the sewer so the odor from the main line or septic tank doesn't escape thru the drain. It's that way in houses, etc. where all drains. toilets, etc. go into a common pipe and into the main sewer line or septic tank.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 06:03 PM   #24

The bathroom sink on my Georgetown drains into my black tank. Odor has never been a problem.

I verified it by opening the black tank drain and running the sink. Sure enough water came out of black tank while sink was running. I kind of like the extra clean water and soap mixing into the black tank. Helps keep things clean.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 06:03 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieS3 View Post
My gray tank always fills long before my black tank. Having this could be a bit of a blessing. You have me thinking maybe I should run my sink into the black tank. Guess what, your home sink runs into the same drain line as your home toilet. Nothing wrong with that. That's why we have traps. As long you are using the sink, it will have adequate water in the trap. Of course, pour some RV antifreeze in the trap when winterizing.

I wouldn't do anything until you have some experience with the rig. If you consistently fill your black tank first, and that creates a problem, then that would be about the only reason to go to the effort of rerouting the sink drain line. If the gray fills first, don't change a thing. Otherwise, its fine.

Charlie
X2

There's another thread running right now where folks were lamenting the more-or-less 50/50 split between their grey and black tanks and wondering why the manufacturers don't make them more like 75/25. You may have a blessing in disguise. Just need to watch the black tank a bit closer than the rest of us.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:50 PM   #26

OP here, thanks every one for your input and thoughts.

Sounds like my "issue" isn't really one after all. Not sure I like the idea of the sink hooking to the black tank, but now I know it doesn't seem to be a factory screw up.

I continue to learn, thanks in no small part to all of you sharing your knowledge. And now I know something I'm going to make sure to ask about on the next TT.

Bob
Old 11-05-2015, 09:00 PM   #27
Cyber Phrenologist

As others have said, that was done to make servicing/cleaning out the black tank that much easier.

All I would do is assign the "black tank sink" to the one who uses water less, or more, once you get some experience in which tanks fill the fastest and learn how you want to manage you tanks.

For us it's the galley grey. Always fills first. But our dishes are clean!

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:25 PM   #28

I know I'm showing my age but the first couple of TT that I camped in didn't have gray water tanks and we all lived. Just remember it was yours before it was in the tank so don't make a big deal about it.
DocRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 11:24 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRob View Post
I know I'm showing my age but the first couple of TT that I camped in didn't have gray water tanks and we all lived. Just remember it was yours before it was in the tank so don't make a big deal about it.
X2

---My first one had a seat with a bucket under --- But it did have a lid and a 5 gal fresh water and 5 gal grey water. Then one with 28 and 28 gal and now one with 100 freah and 30 black and 30 grey. The only problem after days and days of camping is not enought grey tank so so when I see 40 gal black and 50 grey in new trailers we are looking at I wonder what we will do with it all
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 11:50 PM   #30

For gray water, someone really needs to develop an inexpensive filtration drain so we can dump it out without harming the environment and throw the used filter in a trash bag.

We actually have systems like this for household use; they just need to be simplified and adapted. ("Just")

http://www.aqua2use.com/products/gwdd.html
Old 11-15-2015, 07:26 PM   #31

Biggest drawback is the filter doesn't do dishes! Literally it excludes kitchen drains due to oils, food bits etc. You would have to replumb your RV to accommodate the change, and still have grey water to dispose.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 11:17 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Biggest drawback is the filter doesn't do dishes! Literally it excludes kitchen drains due to oils, food bits etc. You would have to replumb your RV to accommodate the change, and still have grey water to dispose.
That's a downer.
MNtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, drain, roo, tank