RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 07-18-2020, 05:41 PM   #21
Site Team

For non-food/drinking use I would use Odoban found any any big box store. Not as hard on seals etc as bleach but as effective.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 05:50 PM   #22
Dazed & Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
I came down with C. Diff....{wait for it}...in hospital after surgery!
Does not surprise me at all. https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...nfections.html
M&K Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 06:02 PM   #23

I am not an expert in anything but what is C Def. I have never heard of it I don't think and I am 75
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 06:22 PM   #24

It's C. Diff.

And it is misery.
lizARdman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 06:51 PM   #25
Retired Panpsychist

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
{snip}...what is C Def.
C. Diff. is a bacterial infection which is transmitted by spores. In my case, I had a 103º fever and a renewing 24-hour reservation in the nearest bathroom. I had to go back in hospital for about 5-days for isolation and a course of antibiotics.

Interestingly, once a day I was moved to a separate area while a robot with UV lights shuffled around my vacant room killing bacteria. They SAY the robot was just disinfecting my room, but I never did find my watch.

Not sure the robot would have fit in RV holding tanks, though.

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper")
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 07:16 PM   #26

Ozone generator effective???

Is there any value in disinfecting using an Ozone Generator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Turf View Post
I am a nurse with a lot of experience caring for patients with C diff as well as trying to prevent the spread of the bacteria. Bleach is the only disinfectant, that we can get retail, that will kill the spores of this bacteria. Many hospitals use Oxycide to disinfect. This is a combination of hydrogen peroxide and paracetic acid (vinegar) but it must be prepared daily as the shelf life is only 24 hours.

Bleach will definitely work on hard surfaces of your trailer but how do you disinfect fabrics, the mattress, etc. without discoloring it? Another tool used by hospitals is ultraviolet light. After a room is disinfected with bleach or Oxycide a large ultraviolet light is placed in the room for up to one hour. If I was trying to get rid of as much C diff as possible from my RV I would get a UV light. Amazon has many different UV lights.

It is quite rare for a healthy person to get a C diff infection. Most people who get C diff have recently been on antibiotics or have a compromised immune system due to chemotherapy or radiation. Thorough hand washing with soap and water, especially before eating is your best defense.
Richy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 10:35 PM   #27

Titan,Is there some kind expriation date/code on the container we should be aware of??
2012 Dodge Challenger
If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence, try orderin' someone else's dog around.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 11:51 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Titan,Is there some kind expriation date/code on the container we should be aware of??
I haven't looked but one day ran across some info on what bleach would and wouldn't kill and the official used the term "unexpired bleach".

I'm sure there is the usual expiration date or "best by date".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:33 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I haven't looked but one day ran across some info on what bleach would and wouldn't kill and the official used the term "unexpired bleach".

I'm sure there is the usual expiration date or "best by date".
Then this may help,
Clorox recommends replacing any bottle of bleach that is over a year old. Another way to tell if your bleach is expired is to note its odor. Don't open the bottle and take a whiff! The human sense of smell is sensitive to bleach, so you should be able to smell it as soon as you pour it from its container.
2012 Dodge Challenger
If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence, try orderin' someone else's dog around.
Old 07-19-2020, 09:36 AM   #30
PhD, Common Sense

I would prefer more independent advice than that from Clorox. They are trying to sell bleach.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:43 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
I would prefer more independent advice than that from Clorox. They are trying to sell bleach.
Ah, you should be a little more positive, But OK.
https://www.google.com/search?q=does...hrome&ie=UTF-8
2012 Dodge Challenger
Old 07-19-2020, 11:03 AM   #32

Quote:
Then this may help,
Clorox recommends replacing any bottle of bleach that is over a year old. Another way to tell if your bleach is expired is to note its odor. Don't open the bottle and take a whiff! The human sense of smell is sensitive to bleach, so you should be able to smell it as soon as you pour it from its container.
Thanks. I looked at my bleach bottle this AM and all it has is a "code" printed on the bottle. Couldn't decode any date from it.

With the importance of using bleach today to sanitize so many things, and how inexpensive bleach really is, I think I'll just pour my over one year old bleach in my various sink drains to keep the P-traps from getting stinky and buy a new bottle.

I think I can afford ~$2.50 or so for a half gallon of bleach once per year. Expecially if I want to make sure it will kill what I want to kill.

The more I think about it the more I think that the year 2020 is like one of those bad Sci-Fi movies of the 50's and 60's where some out of control organism from another planet was trying to kill off earth's population. Now our only defense isn't flame throwers and tanks but a jug of Clorox

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 07-19-2020, 11:23 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizARdman15 View Post
I am genuinely concerned about my handling/cleaning of the poop tubes. I am a country boy with a little farm history, so being thigh deep in poop has never really been an issue with me. I may have been more lax than I should have been on handling/cleaning the tubes for storage.
After you've cleaned your tanks....If you're worried about the tubes, I'd get a large container (like a garbage can), put the hoses in the can and fill it with the bleach solution, then let it sit for the recommended time.
The alternative would be purchasing all new hoses which might be a safer solution.
Old 07-19-2020, 11:24 AM   #34
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Ah, you should be a little more positive, But OK.
https://www.google.com/search?q=does...hrome&ie=UTF-8
I should have been more clear. I did not intend to dispute whether bleach expires. The whole point of bleach is that chlorine combines with other things, which kinda uses up the chlorine. Over time, the chlorine will find stuff to combine with, and that will deplete the effectiveness of the bleach in the bottle.

No, my point is that the last people in the world you should ever take advice from are people who benefit from the advice!
Old 07-19-2020, 11:46 AM   #35

Quote:
I should have been more clear. I did not intend to dispute whether bleach expires. The whole point of bleach is that chlorine combines with other things, which kinda uses up the chlorine. Over time, the chlorine will find stuff to combine with, and that will deplete the effectiveness of the bleach in the bottle.

No, my point is that the last people in the world you should ever take advice from are people who benefit from the advice!
That's a rather broad statement. It could also include Doctors, Lawyers, CPA's, and just about every other professional we call for "advice" when we don't know for ourselves. What about "your mechanic"?

One thing to consider, with laws in place as well as various government agency "rules" when a company makes a claim for their product they have to be able to provide proof it does what they say it does. Since Clorox (and others who make bleach products for consumers) make claims that their product "kills germs" you'd think they have done extensive research on the subject.

As for Clorox, they make a lot of money every year from more than just "Bleach"

Quote:
Clorox markets some of the most trusted and recognized consumer brand names, including its namesake bleach and cleaning products; Pine-Sol® cleaners; Liquid Plumr® clog removers; Poett® home care products; Fresh Step® cat litter; Glad® bags, wraps and containers; Kingsford® charcoal; Hidden Valley® dressings and sauces; Brita® water-filtration products; Burt’s Bees® natural personal care products; RenewLife® digestive health products; and Rainbow Light®, Natural Vitality® and Neocell® dietary supplements. The company also markets brands for professional services, including Clorox Healthcare® and Clorox Commercial Solutions®. More than 80 percent of the company’s sales are generated from brands that hold the No. 1 or No. 2 market share positions in their categories.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 07-19-2020, 12:01 PM   #36
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
That's a rather broad statement. It could also include Doctors, Lawyers, CPA's, and just about every other professional we call for "advice" when we don't know for ourselves. What about "your mechanic"?

One thing to consider, with laws in place as well as various government agency "rules" when a company makes a claim for their product they have to be able to provide proof it does what they say it does. Since Clorox (and others who make bleach products for consumers) make claims that their product "kills germs" you'd think they have done extensive research on the subject.

As for Clorox, they make a lot of money every year from more than just "Bleach"
“...who benefit...”

Moving on.
Old 07-19-2020, 12:10 PM   #37

Be careful

This is one reason why I take time at the dump site. COVID-19 has been reported to be found in fecal waste as is C-Diff, E.coli, Salmonella and other nasty stuff / pathogens. While in line to dump I spoke to the gentlemen in back of me that my 2606WS drains slow, plus I have two different systems. The black water and shower / bathroom sink use the same discharge outlet and the kitchen sink has it own discharge outlet, all three tanks do not use the same discharge point. So it takes me additional time to dump, I have up to 135 gals of waste water to dump. I maybe over cautious but after I dump the black tank I then dump both the gray water tanks. Then I disconnect my 45 rinse and toss it in a bucket that I had previously mixed a bleach solution in. Rinse of my hose and stow all my stuff. Off course I use proper PPE. So have patience while your behind people at the dump site, they may have physical or health issues.

Be safe, stay healthy and enjoy life.
Chief55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 06:59 PM   #38

If you decide to purchase a UV light make sure it emits UV-C Light as that is the only UV rays that kill bacteria. The Lysol laundry sanatizer requires a hot water wash cycle, then you’ll pause the washer and let it sit for a while (I don’t remember how long, but it will tell you in the directions) the rinse cycle water temp doesn’t matter.
Lighting546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 07:41 PM   #39

Is it possible to dispose of all your dumping hoses and attachments after you finish cleaning out and bleaching your black & grey tanks ?
There are way too many nooks & crannies in the hoses and attachments for c dif to hide.

Please thoroughly bleach down the surrounding areas at the dump station. You may want to let the facility know so they can warn their pump wagon operator.

Bleach kills the good enzymes that "eat our feces" you may need to add enzymes to the tanks you dumped the bleach solutions into.
NC MiniLite 7-2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 07:55 PM   #40

Quote:
“...who benefit...”

Moving on.
EYE,
2012 Dodge Challenger

Tags
black, tank