Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2016, 07:30 PM   #1

New guy dumb question?

My wife and I just bought a Coachman Clipper 17fq. We haven't had it out yet, but I dewinterized this weekend, in preparation for a trip in a couple weeks. I noticed that in addition to the drain valve on the fresh water tank, there are two other valves (a blue and a red capped) with the label "low point drain." Opening the low drain point did not drain the fresh water tank.

I am guessing these are the low points for draining the water in the "pipes," so to speak? Can you help this rookie understand his trailer a bit better, please? What are these drains?
hbidlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:36 PM   #2

Your analysis is correct. Open the Low Point Drains and then open all the faucets in the unit to drain the pipes. Note. Drain the hot water tank separately. Don't forget the outside shower if you have one.
pvillebly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:59 AM   #3

X2. Remember there are no dumb questions. We were all new to this stuff at one time and learned either by making mistakes or asking questions. It's alot easier, cheaper, and less embarassing to gain knowledge by asking questions .
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbidlack View Post
My wife and I just bought a Coachman Clipper 17fq. We haven't had it out yet, but I dewinterized this weekend, in preparation for a trip in a couple weeks. I noticed that in addition to the drain valve on the fresh water tank, there are two other valves (a blue and a red capped) with the label "low point drain." Opening the low drain point did not drain the fresh water tank.

I am guessing these are the low points for draining the water in the "pipes," so to speak? Can you help this rookie understand his trailer a bit better, please? What are these drains?
also remember that the hot water is just that HOT. So let it cool before you unscrew the cap. You can probably guess how i learned this "valuable" piece of advice
Old 05-16-2016, 11:55 AM   #5

There should be a separate drain valve for the fresh water tank. Probably on the underside (lowest point) of the tank on the wall opposite direction the fill inlet. Should be a label for it.
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:03 PM   #6

Main drain

First make sure you shut off the electric water heater before you drain the red one. Those are the low point of the pipes. There should be another 11/4" valve to drain the fresh water tank. People claim you should not leave them completely dry. Make sure you sanitize the fresh water system. I think there is another drain for the water heater, but the red line may do it. Like said above open some valves inside. And the last bit of wisdom I have learned in the last 5 months is make sure to get the air out of the lines before you turn on the w heater. And don't run the pump dry.

2016 EVO 26'oa trailer
Stetay is offline   Reply With Quote