Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2020, 02:06 PM   #1

New Old Dude

I'm new to the forum, new to a travel trailer (Cherokee Wolf Pup 16 PF), but spent my entire life outdoors, hunting, fishing, camping (tent), hiking, farming, etc. Following the instructions to introduce myself...hello!

I suppose I should start a thread on another area, but I'll start here and you redirect me as necessary.

I was dewinterizing the pup, filled the freshwater tank, turned all the valves as necessary on the water pump and hot water tank, let the pump run for about 70 seconds, tried the faucet, got water for a bit, then it stopped. Seeing that, I figured the pump lost its prime so I shut it down. I crawled up in the storage compartment and turned the valve to the short hose (the one that would normally go into a jug of anti-freeze) and put it down into a bucket of water. Had my wife turn on the pump, could tell it was sucking water out of the bucket. She turned it off. I turned the valve back to the freshwater tank and told her to turn it back on. It ran for a few seconds, then seemed to struggle and finally was pumping super slow (took all of about 7 - 10 seconds) so I asked my wife to turn it off. For a while, it wouldn't even come back on. I figured I blew a fuse...nope. Then I thought may an in-line fuse (orange thing on the wires looked like it would contain an in-line fuse). Before I could open that up, I tried it again later than evening just to listen to see if it would try to come on and it did! I turned it right off. I don't want to burn it up. The pump never got hot. Any ideas of what's happening? Thanks. Chris.
CNiehaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 02:53 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum and RVing from South Jersey. They take a while sometimes to fill all the lines and build pressure. At your pump, before the incoming line is a sediment filter with a clear cover. Check it and make sure its not cracked, clogged, and it is tight. It unscrews. Hope this is it.
Old 05-07-2020, 03:09 PM   #3

Thanks Deuce! Yes, I saw that filter. No leaks from that as I watched it and it was clear. I would have expected to see some bubbles in it as water passed through and I didn't. It was clear as a bell. Maybe I should remove that clear cover and check it! I appreciate the suggestion. Take care!
CNiehaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 01:42 PM   #4

If the faucet you opened was for hot water and you didn’t bleed the air out of water heater, that will cause air to come out of the faucet with pulses of water. Jay
New TV 2020 2500HD gas.
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 01:53 PM   #5
Multi-Slacker

Welcome from SoCal!
You obviously have electric to the pump. If nothing on the infeed side is clogged maybe let it run to build pressure? Monitor heat build and signs of distress.