RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-05-2020, 07:50 AM   #1

New Owner Winterizing

Hi,
I'll be winterizing my Arctic Wolf 287 BH for the first time next week, and here's my checklist. Am I missing anything?

- Turn off city water
- Disconnect and coil water supply hose
- Drain hot water tank
- Turn both valves on hot water tank to bypass
- Open all taps
- Open low point drain
- Clear city water check valve
- Set valve on water pump to suction hose
- Close all taps and low point drain
- Turn on water pump and put hose in antifreeze jug
- Run cold taps until they are pink (Outdoor shower, kitchen sink, bathroom sink, shower, toilet)
- Run hot taps in the same order
- Pour 2 cups of antifreeze down kitchen sink, bathroom sink, shower, toilet
- Open refrigerator and freezer doors
- place desiccant in both bedrooms, bathroom and living area
jmorris4371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:01 AM   #2

Looks good. If you have an ice machine in the freezer, that should also be winterized.
Lablong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:05 AM   #3
PhD, Common Sense

Make sure that there is no pressure in the HW tank before draining.

Look for renewable dehumidifiers (essentially desiccants with heating elements). When they change color, plug them in for a few hours to “dry” them out.

They are mainly marketed for gun safes, but we keep two in our RV during winter storage. We have four and rotate them each two weeks to one month. During RV season, when our r-pod lives in our driveway while not traveling, we keep all four in the RV except while renewing.

Depending on the brand, they are $15 - $30 each.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:16 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorris4371 View Post
- Run cold taps until they are pink (Outdoor shower, kitchen sink, bathroom sink, shower, toilet)
- Run hot taps in the same order
- Pour 2 cups of antifreeze down kitchen sink, bathroom sink, shower, toilet
That last step isn't entirely necessary since you are going to have AF going down the drains when you open the taps.

It won't hurt anything though...
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:43 AM   #5
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
That last step isn't entirely necessary since you are going to have AF going down the drains when you open the taps.

It won't hurt anything though...
Very true, but if the OP has not allowed some AF to accumulate in the bowl, that would be the step to take that precaution.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:57 PM   #6

I might suggest more than 2 cups in the black tank. It is good practice to make sure the black tank always stays wet so solids do not dry out and build up over time. After I dump my 45 gallon black tank...I always dump 2 gallons of fresh water back in through the toilet with 2 treatment tabs to make certain the tank always stays wet and fresh smelling. When I winterize, i put a full gallon of antifreeze into the tank for extended cold weather storage. Stuff is cheap at walmart...less than $3 a gallon. I live in Colorado where it is extremely dry so evaporation is high...and we can can some very cold days in the winter.

2014 Spartan 1032
2015 GMC 3500HD Denali 4WD/Duramax
RockyMtnMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:17 PM   #7
Site Team

Low point drain(s) - plural. Usually, there's one for hot water lines and one for cold water lines. Plus you should drain your fresh water tank.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 = 108; booked = 0
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 09:09 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMarty View Post
I might suggest more than 2 cups in the black tank. It is good practice to make sure the black tank always stays wet so solids do not dry out and build up over time. After I dump my 45 gallon black tank...I always dump 2 gallons of fresh water back in through the toilet with 2 treatment tabs to make certain the tank always stays wet and fresh smelling. When I winterize, i put a full gallon of antifreeze into the tank for extended cold weather storage. Stuff is cheap at walmart...less than $3 a gallon. I live in Colorado where it is extremely dry so evaporation is high...and we can can some very cold days in the winter.
If you flush and drain your black tank when you winterize, there shouldn't be any solids in there to worry about.

The only AF I have in my black tanks is whatever runs down the drain when I winterize the toilets.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, winterizing