Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2023, 07:50 AM   #1

New RV-Winterizing?

The dealer said the travel trailer has been winterized. But is it? If it is from the factory to the dealer I would assume no water has been run through the system. During the PDI I did not check the water or sewer being it would be below freezing for a while yet. I did notice the andoid for the water heater was out. Once it warms up enough not to worry about freezing pipes I will check it out at home. I have not picked up the rv yet, but I will next week.

Did the dealer actually put in antifreeze? If they did what do I need to do? I have never had to winterize or dewinterize a rv. Can I just flush out the lines into a rubber tote where I could dispose of it?
reubenray374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 08:04 AM   #2

You have valid questions as a new owner, but before the forum answers specific questions, have you familiarized yourself with the winterizing FAQ threads? https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f225/
Old 02-04-2023, 08:56 AM   #3

When we dewinterize, I just flush clean water through the entire system, and it all gets drained the first time we empty the tanks.

TT: 2020 26' Hemisphere 26BHHL
TV: 2020 GMC 2500HD 4x4
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 01:08 PM   #4

X2^^. except I use chlorinated water from holding tank to flush out lines. Leave HW tank bypassed until your done.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 01:47 PM   #5

Same as MillMitch.

Completely dump the current fresh tank, then fill your fresh tank with a bleach solution (1/4 cup for each 16 gal of fresh water), run this mix through the entire system (keeping the HWH on bypass), let it sit overnight-24 hours, then dump and refill with fresh water again.

Specific deets here.
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 01:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray374 View Post
Did the dealer actually put in antifreeze? If they did what do I need to do? I have never had to winterize or dewinterize a rv. Can I just flush out the lines into a rubber tote where I could dispose of it?
If the rod for the water heater is out, he's probably already winterized it. When you pick it up, ask the dealer how to de-winterize it. There may be valves you need to turn to get water into the water heater before you turn it on.
You don't need to do anything til you're getting ready to use it and then you can flush the antifreeze out of the system. Rv antifreeze is non toxic so you can flush it onto the ground if you want.
And, of course, sanitize the water system before you use it.
Old 02-04-2023, 02:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
If the rod for the water heater is out, he's probably already winterized it. When you pick it up, ask the dealer how to de-winterize it. There may be valves you need to turn to get water into the water heater before you turn it on.
You don't need to do anything til you're getting ready to use it and then you can flush the antifreeze out of the system. Rv antifreeze is non toxic so you can flush it onto the ground if you want.
And, of course, sanitize the water system before you use it.
This is what I was hoping to do being I live in the country. I was thinking about getting this to connect to a water hose. This would allow me to get it in the ditch or to my sewer cleanout.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Durable...540624&sr=8-35
Old 02-04-2023, 03:20 PM   #8
REL

Picked mine up in the winter. As s part of my PDI I had the dealer put water in the tank,and water heater so I could verify the water heater worked and there were no plumbing issues. They had no problem doing that and winterizing it before I handed over any $ or signed anything.
REL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 07:19 PM   #9

I picked up our travel trailer today. I had the PDI person show me where the water heater bypass valve is and how the antifreeze was put in at the water pump.
Old 03-10-2023, 07:13 PM   #10

DeWinterizing???

I leave for my maiden trip in a week. Prior to that trip I plan on dewinterizing and sanitizing my system. The forecast now is calling for it to get down to 29 the two mornings before I leave. What precautions can I take to keep my pipes from freezing?

I am guessing I would need to have my heat on. I figured I would drain the low point drain, have the water heater turned on and open the faucets. Will the water heater work with 15amp power?
Old 03-10-2023, 07:28 PM   #11

Quote:
I leave for my maiden trip in a week. Prior to that trip I plan on dewinterizing and sanitizing my system. The forecast now is calling for it to get down to 29 the two mornings before I leave. What precautions can I take to keep my pipes from freezing?

I am guessing I would need to have my heat on. I figured I would drain the low point drain, have the water heater turned on and open the faucets. Will the water heater work with 15amp power?
29 degrees overnight? Don't worry about it.
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 11:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseeker16 View Post
29 degrees overnight? Don't worry about it.
I agree. Now if it were going to stay freezing during the day, you might want to drain the lines and blow them out with compressed air (45 psi or less). Since you sanitized your lines, all you'd have to do is add water when you're ready to use it.

What kind of water heater do you have? If it's one that can be operated on propane, you won't have to worry about a 15 amp connection to the rig. The battery will ignite the propane. Make certain you've filled the heater with water before operating on gas or electric.

That twist on cap works well to drain the grey water. We've never tried it on black water. It might get clogged up with solids from the tank. To get to your sewer cleanout, you could either buy a long sewer hose or connect it with plastic pipe.
Old 03-11-2023, 07:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
I agree. Now if it were going to stay freezing during the day, you might want to drain the lines and blow them out with compressed air (45 psi or less). Since you sanitized your lines, all you'd have to do is add water when you're ready to use it.

What kind of water heater do you have? If it's one that can be operated on propane, you won't have to worry about a 15 amp connection to the rig. The battery will ignite the propane. Make certain you've filled the heater with water before operating on gas or electric.

That twist on cap works well to drain the grey water. We've never tried it on black water. It might get clogged up with solids from the tank. To get to your sewer cleanout, you could either buy a long sewer hose or connect it with plastic pipe.
Both days will be partly cloudy and the high temperature's will be in the mid to upper 40's.

I will only be using the twist on cap to drain the tanks after dewinterizing and sanitizing. There will be no solid material in the black tanks. This first time will be trial and error method. The hose method may take to long. I figured I would have the tanks open when flushing and sanitizing instead of filling up the tanks.

My water heater is propane and electric. I don't know how far two 20 lb tanks will go using the furnace and water heater. This is why I would want to use electricity if possible prior to leaving on the trip. I will be on this maiden trip for four nights and a furnace will be necessary. I am used to a huge propane tank with my previous motorhomes. My motorhomes had heat pumps also, so the furnace was not used much. I will use electricity for the water heater at the campground.
Old 03-12-2023, 06:24 PM   #14

Dang - I wish the weather would make up it's mind. They are now calling for the low to be in the mid 20's the morning I leave.
Old 03-12-2023, 07:08 PM   #15
Pickin', Campin', Mason

DO NOT turn on the water heater (as you mentioned) if you drain the plumbing and the heater.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 12:42 PM   #16

The forecast now are predicting a low of 21 degrees the morning I leave. I will have to either dewinterize that day before I leave around 10 AM or do it at the campground.
Old 03-13-2023, 03:49 PM   #17
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
The forecast now are predicting a low of 21 degrees the morning I leave. I will have to either dewinterize that day before I leave around 10 AM or do it at the campground.
Dewinterizing and sanitizing at a campground is common. My friends, my family members and I have all done so on the first trip in the the spring many times. I've also done so the last 4 winters on our southern trips as soon as we get far enough south to not worry about freezing since we leave after having to winterize in the fall.

A couple gallons of bottled water is all that's needed until we do.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 08:46 PM   #18

This may be my only option being they are predicting 18 degrees now. I do plan on draining my low point and fresh water tank before I leave. I rather drain these in my yard instead of on the site pad.
Old 03-14-2023, 07:23 PM   #19

Due to the below freezing temperatures up to the day I leave I will be doing the flushing and sanitizing at the campground, but I have a few questions still.

Everything I have read says to flush the pink out. How long will I need to flush this and will I use fresh water tank water or city water for this?

I would then mix the bleach/water mixture and put it in the fresh water tank and add water to the tank. Do I fill the tank up? I will run that water until I smell the bleach. After this sits for a few hours (4 to 12) I would flush this. Do I flush this with the fresh water tank water or the city water?
Old 03-15-2023, 11:17 AM   #20

I use city water to flush pink stuff, but chlorine goes into tank with about 15 gallons of water. Run through all faucets and toilet, let it sit, then drain, then flush all lines with city water. If your at a campsite and don’t want to dump fw tank on ground, turn a faucet on until you drain most of the tank. Leave HW heater bypassed until your done.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, winterizing