Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2012, 08:37 PM   #1

New to me Flagstaff owner no hot water pressure

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a used "new to me" 2006 Flagstaff 831RLSS. It's in great shape. I knew when I bought it that it had an issue with the hot water system however, I am pretty handy and am hoping it is an easy fix.
I know the heater is functioning as I was able to get hot water by opening the pressure relief valve.

However, when I have the bypass valve closed so it pressurizes the hot water tank, I get no pressure at all from any faucets. It is almost like the output valve on the tank is closed however, mine doesn't have a valve coming out on the hot water side.

I have read on previous posts that their is a check valve that sometimes is a culprit however, I don't even see a check valve. It's a clear plastic line going outbound of the hot water side and then it goes straight down from there. Is it possible the check valve is located underneath the trailer behind the plastic cover?

Does anyone have any ideas where the check valve could be located? Does anyone have an idea if it could be something else other than this check valve?

Please help, hoping to get it fixed so I can take the family out atleast once before the cold sets in here in Northeast PA.

Thanks in advance!
Flagstaffer06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:42 PM   #2

Generally two valves are used to bypass the water heater, one on the inlet and one on the outlet with a tube between the two which takes the tank out of the loop allowing antifreeze to be pumped into the lines but not the tank. You may have to remove a panel or cover to locate the second valve.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:28 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply, yes I am pretty good mechanically and I know there is a 2nd valve. I believe in my case it is a check valve as my one valve is located solely as the bypass. I guess I should have rephrased my question to find out if anyone has any ideas where they could have been located. I have seen some with check valves right where the hot water comes out. My Flagstaff doesn't have that, you would think it would be in an accessible place but, you never know. I'm going to look underneath and maybe start pulling some cabinets apart below to see if there is anything before removing the plastic underbelly to try and locate it. If anyone has any other ideas for locations it's greatly appreciated!
Old 09-17-2012, 09:59 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

OK, here is the thing.

There are three types of bypass systems (that I am aware of anyway).

1) A one valve bypass system that has a valve that is "T" shaped (located at the bottom of the water heater) and a pipe that goes up to another "T" fitting at the outlet of the water heater and also uses a check valve AT the water heater exit at top. (see photo)

2) A two valve bypass system that uses an inlet valve at the bottom (cold) feed connected to a "T" fitting to a pipe that goes into the bottom of the tank and a bypass valve in the vertical pipe. It also needs a check valve at the outlet of the hot water tank. (no photo of this; but it is identical to the 3 valve system except the top valve is replaced by a check valve)

3) A three valve system that uses an inlet valve at the bottom (cold) feed connected to a "T" fitting to a pipe that goes into the bottom of the tank and a bypass valve in the vertical pipe. It also a valve at the outlet of the hot water tank AND NO check valves. (see second photo)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4092.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	19591   Click image for larger version

Name:	bypass.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	19592  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:09 AM   #5

Herk, thanks for the reply! Mine is similar to the top picture however my valve is alot further from the water heater about 2ft or so. Nonetheless, that's the setup. However, maybe I am looking at this wrong or maybe just too in depth. Where is the check valve in this setup? Is this the darker spot in the tubing between the 90 going out and the T fitting? I have the 90 bend going out and it runs straight to the T-fitting. I am looking for a brass check valve, I'd assume and haven't seen anything like that on mine unless it's built right into the outlet of the water heater?

Thanks again, I guess I have to do some more hunting to hopefully come up with an answer.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:13 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagstaffer06 View Post
Herk, thanks for the reply! Mine is similar to the top picture however my valve is alot further from the water heater about 2ft or so. Nonetheless, that's the setup. However, maybe I am looking at this wrong or maybe just too in depth. Where is the check valve in this setup? Is this the darker spot in the tubing between the 90 going out and the T fitting? I have the 90 bend going out and it runs straight to the T-fitting. I am looking for a brass check valve, I'd assume and haven't seen anything like that on mine unless it's built right into the outlet of the water heater?

Thanks again, I guess I have to do some more hunting to hopefully come up with an answer.
I do not have the one valve system (I have the 3 valve one), but the bypass will NOT work unless the check valve is between the "T" fitting and the top of the water tank. My guess is the check valve is threaded INTO the water tank and the PEX tubing is connected to the check valve.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:19 AM   #7

I'll drain the tank tonight and disconnect the line and see if I can find a check valve. Good to know that it has to be between the T fitting and the tank outlet. It does make sense now that you mention that.

I'll let you know if it ends up being another broken check valve.

Thanks again!