Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2021, 09:02 PM   #1

Newbie - water heater bypass valve - please help

Good day to all. This is my first week of ownership. 2021 Roo 23fk. I have searched the forum before posting this thread. I am big time confused! I know that when I attach a city water hose and fill, it will fill the 6 gal heater tank and I am not to turn on the electric "on" switches before the 6 gal is full!

My problem is if I want to use the fresh water tank, how do I ensure the 6 gal is full so I have hot water when using the fresh water tank. I keep reading about a "bypass valve" that I can't locate!! I know there are some valves behind the screwed in panel at the rear where the filter is, but I can't believe I have to unscrew that panel anytime I want hot water when NOT on city water?

I would greatly appreciate some help! Thank you and I am happy to be a new member!

Mark Murrieta, Ca.
ltmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 09:07 PM   #2

Once your hot water tank is full, it will remain so if you use city water or your water pump. Only time it would go empty, is if you pull the anode rod/plug and drain it.
The bypass valve has to do with winterizing your trailer, something I have no experience with living in CA.
2012 RAM 2500 Laramie CTD and 4:10
mmartin_tdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 09:12 PM   #3

If you fill your fresh water tank and your Water Heater is empty, the first thing that's going to happen when you turn on the fresh water tank pump, is 6 gals of water from the tank is going straight to fill the water heater. If I knew I was going someplace without city water and I had drained my water heater....which I rarely did, I hook up to my faucet at the house and fill the water heater then I'd either fill my fresh tank or wait till I got to the CG and filled there. Why lose 6 gals of water from your tank when you all ready have the water heater filled. The "Bypass" valve is for winterizing the camper so you don't pump 6 gals of anti-freeze into your water heater.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 09:18 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltmark View Post
Good day to all. This is my first week of ownership. 2021 Roo 23fk. I have searched the forum before posting this thread. I am big time confused! I know that when I attach a city water hose and fill, it will fill the 6 gal heater tank and I am not to turn on the electric "on" switches before the 6 gal is full!

My problem is if I want to use the fresh water tank, how do I ensure the 6 gal is full so I have hot water when using the fresh water tank. I keep reading about a "bypass valve" that I can't locate!! I know there are some valves behind the screwed in panel at the rear where the filter is, but I can't believe I have to unscrew that panel anytime I want hot water when NOT on city water?

I would greatly appreciate some help! Thank you and I am happy to be a new member!

Mark Murrieta, Ca.

Mark, welcome aboard. Here is a link below to a thread that has many links to things that explain some of the more common things new RV owners need to know.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ts-157524.html

It has links to explanations about the crossover/bypass valves and Suburban water heaters (if equipped)

Feel free to ask any questions..

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 10:07 PM   #5

Thank yo sooooooo much. I was really at a loss.

So, if I know the 6 gal is full, I turn on the 2 switches and away I go with hot water from the water tank. If I know it's not full, or unsure, I can hook up my hose to the city water input and run it for a bit to make sure the 6 gal is full, then shut it off. Or the 3rd option, turn the pump on to ensure the 6 gal is full.

It's pretty easy once you get my mind straight!! The instructions kept talking about the bypass valve with no mention of winterizing??

Thank you! Have a great day! Someday soon, I will be experienced enough to help someone else!!!!

Mark
ltmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 10:09 PM   #6

At one time....We were ALL newbies with tons of questions.
Old 07-24-2021, 10:21 PM   #7

Welcome, and one additional suggestion: There is a switch on the water heater, on the outside of the TT. Be sure it is off if there is no water in the tank. The switch is for heating the tank with electricity. If on and no water in the tank, it will destroy the element. We leave our switch off all the time, and use propane to heat the water.

Old 07-25-2021, 12:49 PM   #8

Two switches

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltmark View Post
So, if I know the 6 gal is full, I turn on the 2 switches and away I go with hot water from the water tank. If I know it's not full, or unsure, I can hook up my hose to the city water input and run it for a bit to make sure the 6 gal is full, then shut it off. Or the 3rd option, turn the pump on to ensure the 6 gal is full.
The following assumes you have a Suburban SW6DE heater. The comments will be slightly different if you have another model.

Understand what the two switches do.
The inside switch heats with propane, automatically lighting when needed (Direct Spark Ignition--DSI). It is the fastest way to get hot water, heating the tank in 15-20 minutes or less.

The outside switch heats with electricity. It is slower, taking close to an hour for full recovery.

It is perfectly acceptable to use both at once for fastest recovery. Unless you get a good showerhead made for RVs, that 6-gallon heater is good for only about six minutes of showering. Most RVers learn to take "Navy showers." Turn on the water and get wet. Turn it off. Soap up and scrub up. Turn on water and rinse. Turn off water.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 01:00 PM   #9

If you are not certain you have turned the valves to the correct position, don’t assume that your water heater is full of water just because you are seeing water come out of the hot side of a faucet. The water heater could still be empty and water will flow through the hot side of the faucets if your water heater is in bypass.

The only way to be absolutely sure that your water heater is full of water is to lift the lever on the temperature and pressure relief valve on the tank to see that you have a good amount of flow of water from it.

Bruce
Old 07-25-2021, 01:55 PM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
If you are not certain you have turned the valves to the correct position, don’t assume that your water heater is full of water just because you are seeing water come out of the hot side of a faucet. The water heater could still be empty and water will flow through the hot side of the faucets if your water heater is in bypass.

The only way to be absolutely sure that your water heater is full of water is to lift the lever on the temperature and pressure relief valve on the tank to see that you have a good amount of flow of water from it.

Bruce
X2.

A water heater in bypass has fooled many a person into believing the tank was full simply because water was flowing from a hot faucet.

Lift the T&P lever like Bruce says and you won't be fooled too.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 05:29 AM   #11

"A water heater in bypass has fooled many a person into believing the tank was full simply because water was flowing from a hot faucet.
5picker is offline Report Post."

and you could end up with second degree burns from the HOT water. Proceed with EXTREME CAUTION when doing that if you're not sure the heater has been on.
Old 07-30-2021, 06:27 AM   #12
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
"A water heater in bypass has fooled many a person into believing the tank was full simply because water was flowing from a hot faucet.
5picker is offline Report Post."

and you could end up with second degree burns from the HOT water. Proceed with EXTREME CAUTION when doing that if you're not sure the heater has been on.
When you’ve just connected city water or just filled the FW tank and turned on the pump, you’re guaranteed the water is cold and opening the T&P switch will let the cold water and air in the tank out. No risk of getting scalded even if the gas burner is ignited at the same time as its filling.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 10:45 AM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Always good advice Wolf.. thanks for the added caution.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bypass, heater, newbie, valve, water, water heater, water heater bypass