RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 06-17-2020, 01:30 PM   #1

No Hot Water

Hello All, hopefully this is a silly question. First time owner of a 2017 23KW toy hauler.

I bought it used and it doesn't look like the prior owner ever even used it, quite literally.

Prior to trying to use the hot water, I went through the steps that I noted online:
1 - vented air from the system
2 - turned the valve on to allow water to the hot water tank.
3 - filled our fresh water tank
4 - turned on the hot water tap and waited for the air to cease and water to start coming out
5 - turned on the water heater (propane)
6 - I went out and checked to ensure the flame was lit. It was a strong blue one.
7 - I waited until it turned off at the designated 180F. I wanted to wait the first time to ensure the temp gauge was working properly.
8 - I turned on the hot water tap and waited. For a brief instant, I had warm water. Then it went back to cold. I continued to wait as I thought maybe the lines were purging the prior cold water. No such luck after 10min.

This is where the head scratching started. I went back over everything and checked the primary bypass (inline with the hose so open). I then went to the vent and nice hot water came out. OK - that works, but somehow the hot water isn't reaching the taps. This is the fact for all water availability (Outdoor / kitchen / bathroom sink & shower).

Am I missing something silly or what?

Thanks for the help!
MyersAvionics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 01:38 PM   #2

There is another knob that needs turned it is mixing your hot and cold water. Look for another valve close to where you turned off the bypass.
KKonyha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 01:45 PM   #3
Georgia Rally Coordinator

You have one of the valves turned wrong that is use for by passing the tank when winterizing.If you can post a pick of your valves. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-6
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 01:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKonyha View Post
There is another knob that needs turned it is mixing your hot and cold water. Look for another valve close to where you turned off the bypass.
You, Sir, are awesome! Thanks a bunch! I went out and got down further into the area and sure enough, there's a little quarter turn valve!
MyersAvionics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 01:50 PM   #5

Not awesome, just been there done that wrong before. Glad it was something simple.
KKonyha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 02:20 PM   #6
Site Team

Very common problem. So much so that we added a sticky to the top of this sub-forum with lots of pictures and detailed descriptions.

For future reference:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...st-103381.html
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
hot water, water