Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2012, 04:21 PM   #1

No water at faucets. Have water at showers.- Solved!

On camping trip last weekend, we were hooked to camp water. I had hot and cold water at both the indoor and outdoor showers. No water at all at the bathroom faucet and only a trickle of water at the kitchen faucet. Tested again at home today hooked to water and exact same thing. Filled the fresh water tank and turned on pump and same scenario. In both cases, I did have a little more water flow at kitchen faucet prior to trying the hot water so the water heater could be part of the factor. In neither case was I ever getting water at the bathroom faucet. Which is odd as I have water at both showers and the toilet which are all in the same area.

I had water both from hookup and from tank on previous trips this spring so bypass valves are set right and I did doublecheck them.

After it cools down this evening I hope to go out and dig into it some more. Any suggestions as to what I should be checking next? Thanks for any help or suggestions. Ron
bigbadbucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbucky View Post
On camping trip last weekend, we were hooked to camp water. I had hot and cold water at both the indoor and outdoor showers. No water at all at the bathroom faucet and only a trickle of water at the kitchen faucet. Tested again at home today hooked to water and exact same thing. Filled the fresh water tank and turned on pump and same scenario. In both cases, I did have a little more water flow at kitchen faucet prior to trying the hot water so the water heater could be part of the factor. In neither case was I ever getting water at the bathroom faucet. Which is odd as I have water at both showers and the toilet which are all in the same area.

I had water both from hookup and from tank on previous trips this spring so bypass valves are set right and I did doublecheck them.

After it cools down this evening I hope to go out and dig into it some more. Any suggestions as to what I should be checking next? Thanks for any help or suggestions. Ron
I would guess the bypass valves are turned perpendicular to the lines and are stopping all flow.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:24 PM   #3

Bypass valves all seem to be set OK. Since I was grasping at straws I have removed the vacuum breaker from the black tank flushing kit. I have never used the black tank flusher as we always use campground toilets. I have no idea how or why that could impact internal plumbing. However with it removed, I did start getting a trickle of both hot and cold water in the bathroom faucet and the kitchen has a little more pressure, but still probably only 1/4 of normal. Not sure if a coincidence or if part of the issue.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:25 PM   #4
Site Team

since you don't mention year, type, brand or model of RV you're talking about, it make answering difficult.

if it's a new RV, they often have debris caught in the faucet's spigot. taking the screen out, often produces sawdust, foam and other debris.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:34 PM   #5

Sorry. Put info in profile and thought would show up. Guess I need to set up a signature line. It is a 2012 Coachmen Freedom Express 295RLDS.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:08 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

You should check for debris behind the deaerators on both faucets. As the indoor/outdoor showers have hot and cold water, the system seems to be OK

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
You should check for debris behind the deaerators on both faucets. As the indoor/outdoor showers have hot and cold water, the system seems to be OK

Dave
I gotta go along with Dave on this one.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:50 PM   #8

Thanks Dave and GRhodes. That did it. I can't remove the bathroom faucet one, but I was able to tap on it and rub the screen with my thumbnail and got it to break loose. The kitchen was a quick and easy job. Appreciate all the input from everyone.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:59 PM   #9

Good diagnosis guys, I was thinking of a pinched line. You chose the most likely and probably the least thought of. All of mine seem to be working fine but I will be removing the screens and rinsing them tomorrow. Who knows I might have even better flow after that. LOL
Old 07-18-2012, 12:15 PM   #10

In the case of my kitchen one, my screen was actually fine. There were gaskets and (flow restrictors?) inside behind the screen that actually had some little scale chips that were clogging it.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:35 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbucky View Post
In the case of my kitchen one, my screen was actually fine. There were gaskets and (flow restrictors?) inside behind the screen that actually had some little scale chips that were clogging it.
I take all the restrictors out and file them in the circle file.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:37 PM   #12

I just purchased an 2012 flagstaff rlbss and the kitchen sink faucet was leaking on prep inspection so the dealer pulled one off another unit and it worked fine and they ordered another faucet for me got it in they installed it now the hot water side is fine but no cold water and you would know that it has happened while I am on my first camping trip with the new camper for 9 days.
Derick441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:01 PM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derick441 View Post
I just purchased an 2012 flagstaff rlbss and the kitchen sink faucet was leaking on prep inspection so the dealer pulled one off another unit and it worked fine and they ordered another faucet for me got it in they installed it now the hot water side is fine but no cold water and you would know that it has happened while I am on my first camping trip with the new camper for 9 days.
Take the cold water faucet off and turn the stem slowly and see if you can get water. If not, shut the pump/city water off and remove the stem and make sure there is no debris in the inlet hole. Visually check that the stem will turn so the holes line up when turned to the on position and closed in the off position.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:16 AM   #14
Site Team - Lou

Debris in the faucets (and occasionally the toilet valve).

Other than trash (saw dust typically) in the lines at construction time, the number one cause of clogged fittings is the hot water heater.

As the anode deteriorates due to galvanic action, bits of anode and calcium scale collect in the bottom of the hot water heater. These bits can be swept into the hot water pipes and really clog up the works.

The cold water faucets and the toilet are not immune since there is a low pressure formed at the cold water inlet of the hot water tank when you open the cold water faucet or flush the John. This can suck bits out of the hot water tank and into the cold water lines.

Regular maintenance of the hot water tank, including anode replacement when needed, and a thorough flushing of the tank with a flush rod (like this one made by a member) will minimize the chance of a problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hot Water Tank Clean out Wand.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	16826  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:40 AM   #15

I did fix it when I took the faucet off the check valve on the cold side was installed upside down
Derick441 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
faucet