Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2017, 03:07 PM   #1

Not sure what this falls under but I have tank sensor issues..

Ok to start off i full time this trailer for now (going on month 3) and i drain my tanks when they get to full or 2/3s. (Every 2-3 days) and all the valves are shut, i also use tst orange packets. In all 3 tanks. After every dump and i flush the black tank out every 3 dumps or so. (Either running water from toilet or using the sewer outlet using the water hose (i got a 45* clear fitting that has a port for a water hose.)

Trailer is a 2018 salem 27dbk bought brand new by me.

Problem: I noticed after I dumped the tanks, i let several minutes pass before i close tanks, etc. and all 3 said 1/3 full including my gray tank.. prior to all this i never had a problem except my black tank and galley. I also noticed a stronger sewer smell then normal near my steps. (Pretty strange)

My sink and black water i can understand, but gray water i am lost.

Only thing i can think of is the sensors are messed up, or its not draining all the way anymore. The trailer could come up just a hair. That will change next spring. (Add more leveling jacks, and tire covers)

just checked tanks again and galley said E where as before 1/3..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1510171242.081351.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	408.2 KB
ID:	156034   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1510171315.005464.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	311.1 KB
ID:	156035  
Old 11-08-2017, 03:30 PM   #2

Ok so small update i did drain my tanks since they said 2/3s full dont think i touched the galley? And that thing is at E still, gray tank took forever to get to E and black tank in picture. Still at 1/3
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1510172758.992096.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	331.7 KB
ID:	156038  
Old 11-08-2017, 03:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasZ71 View Post
Ok so small update i did drain my tanks since they said 2/3s full dont think i touched the galley? And that thing is at E still, gray tank took forever to get to E and black tank in picture. Still at 1/3
I'm not quite sure I understand what you said there, but I think you are saying your gray tank is empty and your black tank is still showing 1/3. Most likely something is stuck on the 1/3 sensor. Either use the tank flush you have or fill the tank and let it soak a bit then drain fully. In the future, I'd recommend flushing the black tank at each dumping occasion. Also use loads of water in the black tank whenever flushing. We also dump all our hot soapy dish water in there. Fill that tank up with plenty of liquid so when you dump it everything is flushed out well.

I think you said at some point the gray tank stuck at 1/3. Something could get stuck on there too such as grease or food remnants. You can only flush it with water, add some detergent to it, and bounce it around on the road as needed to clean it out.

PS make sure everyone who uses the lavatory including kids and guests knows that NOTHING goes down the toilet except waste and toilet paper. Not even Kleenex. People will throw all kinds of stuff in there that you do NOT want to have to deal with!
Old 11-08-2017, 03:51 PM   #4

Thank you I guess I should have made it a little easier to read, but i drained my tanks, roughly 6min ago. (Gray and black)

i am not sure why gray tank was showing that? Only thing gets flushed down there is soap, and shaving gel.

I do, run water through the black tank, but not a huge amount. Maybe 3 toilet bowls full wait then dump. I also heard dumping ice cubes down the black water tank will help the sensors?

The galley tank i can understand completely.

It doesn’t help this is my first travel trailer. So i am still paranoid with minor issues like this. (I do use the correct toilet paper ment for the travel trailer)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6858.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	316.9 KB
ID:	156039  
Old 11-08-2017, 04:27 PM   #5

No ice cubes. That might work if you were driving around and sloshing it all around.
You most likely have residue on the sensors. If liquid comes out at a good rate then chances are that your tanks are empty and the sensors are crap.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:26 PM   #6

Ok i did what you said on the black tank, and it worked now it shows E
Old 11-08-2017, 07:51 PM   #7

The sensors work by making an electrical connection when moisture completes the circuit. Slime often builds up and still makes connection after tank is drained. They often clear up once they dry out. Sometimes a blast of water will clear them.

PS These sensors are notorious for not working. After a bit you will develop a feel for tank levels and rarely use them.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:36 PM   #8

When you drain your tanks..... Drain the Black tank first. Then back flush the gray tank into the Black tank.... shut off gray tank and release what water is in the black tank. Back flush from the gray tank again into the black tank and then release the black and gray tank together. The gray tank will have soapy dish water in it and that will help clean out and freshen the black tank

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:42 PM   #9

3 toilet bowls full is all?

Don't dump your black tank until it's almost full of water. And stuff....... Needs to be almost full to dump properly.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:48 PM   #10

Agree with the “damp” sensors. Flush our Black after every dump etc and don’t dump until almost full.

Our sensor does same thing at times and shows 1/3 for a while then when inside is dry it goes to empty on gauge.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
3 toilet bowls full is all?

Don't dump your black tank until it's almost full of water. And stuff....... Needs to be almost full to dump properly.

Ya of water then I open up the black tank and flush it out sometimes it works other times no change. Last time before this it showed 2/3 full after a flush, thats when i used the garden hose with adapter (to help flush it out)

But black tank is emptied at 2/3 full or 3-4 days.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
When you drain your tanks..... Drain the Black tank first. Then back flush the gray tank into the Black tank.... shut off gray tank and release what water is in the black tank. Back flush from the gray tank again into the black tank and then release the black and gray tank together. The gray tank will have soapy dish water in it and that will help clean out and freshen the black tank

Honestly i am not sure I follow that advice. Or maybe mine is different

Mine
Black tank is middle, with the valve set back
Gray tank, is off to the right exits in front of black tank valve.
Galley-left side of black tank. Exits in front of valve.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:32 AM   #13

The only way most of these suggestions would work without a "Mess" is add a "Additional Dump Valve" that will allow "Mixing" behind it! Youroo!!
Old 11-09-2017, 01:47 PM   #14

We have been on the road for 15 years, and the very best advice I ever had on black tanks, gray tanks and dumping in general came from "Phred's Pop Sheets"! Google it. You will not regret it.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:47 PM   #15

It won't hurt to dump a cup of dishwashing soap down the black tank but nothing will work well if there isn't any rocking going on. I winterized my trailer this week after our last trip of 90 miles of which 20 were dirt roads. Needless to say, The black tank was a nice consistent green liquid. I don't use the expensive RV toilet paper. I found that if it is safe for septic systems then RVs are OK too. Use lots of water in the black tank before dumping, like up to where you can see it looking through the toilet hole that it is almost into the toilet neck.

As previously said the sensors are just screw heads in the tank measuring a resistance change when liquid hits them. If a gob of TP covers the screws then it will stay at that level until it gets washed off.

Look into the GEO method of holding tanks (Soap, water conditioner, bleach). I haven't done this yet as I have two more bottles of non-formaldehyde toilet chemical but the dish soap should keep the crud from sticking to the sensors.

Congrats on the first RV.
TV: 1999 Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4
Honda EU2200i Generator, 300 Watts Solar
Ham Callsign KD7UM
UT_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:04 PM   #16
Pickin', Campin', Mason

For first time R/V owners, the tank sensing system is one of the most often discussed topics.
Unfortunately, the sensing system is nothing short of junk.

Those who buy a R/V for the first time believe these sensing systems work like a fuel gauge in your vehicle and think they can rely on the indications they receive from the control. Sadly, nothing could be farther from the truth.

As mentioned, don't waste a bunch of time, water, ice cubes, expensive chemicals or effort believing you are magically going to make these inexpensive (cheap) systems work correctly. You will learn in time how the tank(s) sound when flushing or how full they are if it backs up into the shower.

For the few extra dollars it would take to put a better sensing system on, it would be a blessing to those buying into the R/V lifestyle if the manufacturers were to provide something better.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:50 PM   #17

Black tanks are the worst as they get gooped up and the gauges get fouled. I have tried the "geo" method without a lot of success. And, it seemed difficult to find the right water softener

I agree with the folks who suggest a lot of water. I also flush mine at every dump. Occasionally, I will backfill with lots of water, let it sit a while and then dump. Two other tricks 1. Use a laundry detergent pod after each dump with the TST chemicals,and, 2. About once a year, treat the flush system to a container of CLR.

When you are all done, don't be surprised if it takes a while for the sensors to dry out and begin showing more accurate readings.
Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bend302 View Post
Black tanks are the worst as they get gooped up and the gauges get fouled. I have tried the "geo" method without a lot of success. And, it seemed difficult to find the right water softener

I agree with the folks who suggest a lot of water. I also flush mine at every dump. Occasionally, I will backfill with lots of water, let it sit a while and then dump. Two other tricks 1. Use a laundry detergent pod after each dump with the TST chemicals,and, 2. About once a year, treat the flush system to a container of CLR.

When you are all done, don't be surprised if it takes a while for the sensors to dry out and begin showing more accurate readings.
Bill

Thank you, I didn’t know about the laundry detergent pods? Also on this back flush, I guess it varies by model? Or undo my sewer line, put cap back on, and open gray tank line?

Just making sure I understand because i seen a good amount of members mention it.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:51 PM   #19

We have had similar issues. Gone through lots of the orange juice, blue pills for the toilet and lots of flushing. The sewer gas from the Galley and Gray tank seemed unusual for those tanks. Anyway, we stopped feeding the bacterial growth with the Rid X, orange juice and blue pills and now use a combination of simple bleach and Dawn Platinum dish soap. Give it a cocktail periodically. 1 gallon of bleach divided equally among the three tanks with a quarter cup of dawn mixed in with about 2 gallons of water after a tank dump. We no longer have any smell from the tanks and they all read 0 after draining. We always travel with that mix in each tank from site to site. Seems to slosh around in the tank and help to keep it clean and odor free. Anyway that's what we are doing. Also the black tank always needs the usual flush to keep the solids from settling on sensors.
Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:12 PM   #20

X2 on tank monitor issues...

If it really bothers you, there are a number of good reports by installing exterior sensors. They can't get fouled. Commonly mentioned product is SeeLevell II: https://www.garnetinstruments.com/rv-shop/
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank