Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2021, 06:29 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDuB-IA2MI View Post
Would like to discuss this, my dealer told me to not sanitize the tank as it corrodes the interior. The high temp of the hot water does the sanitizing, doesn't it?
Excellent point!
Old 07-05-2021, 08:39 PM   #22

Sounds like something I would do. To prevent a surprise hot shower I removed the plug / annod and installed a ss coupling and close nipple. I drilled and tapped a 1/8 pipe thread in the side of the coupling and installed a brass petcock.Last I installed the annod. Now when I leave a campsite I just open the petcock and the hot water blows a small stream sideways and down and drains while I am driving home.I installed a 1/4 turn valve on the fresh water tank drain also for the same reason. Very handy and easy with no tools required to lighten the load. Cheers Rob
rjb16fq77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 08:44 PM   #23
Trailer Park Supervisor

I think the Suburbans are glass lined. But not really important, as diluted bleach may oxidize aluminum, meaning it will darken and not be pretty and shiny, but it shouldn't hurt it or corrode it. If anything, it will have a protective aluminum oxide finish.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 03:59 AM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I think the Suburbans are glass lined.

As per Suburbans website:

Heated water attacks all metals - and that's why Suburban uses porcelain-lined, steel tanks with an anode rod to "absorb" the electrolytic action - just like your water heater at home. To understand the purpose and function of the Anode Rod, please
CLICK HERE and take a moment to watch this short video.

In fact, when a Suburban Advantage porcelain-lined tank is properly maintained, tank life may double or triple its three-year limited warranty saving owners the cost of premature replacement. In addition, every Suburban Advantage tank is pressure tested twice during the manufacturing process to ensure its integrity.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 08:13 PM   #25

Yes I forgot to release the hot water tank pressure release valve too while removing the anode rod and luckily the water was cold as the anode rod went flying and I got soaked and I'll never make that mistake again!

Being a relative newbie of 6 years I have learned a lot and need to learn a lot more and am thankful for all the information I read through this forum.

Bob Brown

Forest River Sunseeker 2013 3170ds
Bob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 10:45 PM   #26

I've ruined or pitted aluminum products using bleach on them.
I don't know what percent solution would be ok, but the little bit I use and the frequency I use it (3 times in last 9 years) don't seem to have hurt the heater.
I flush with clean water prior to turning on the heat.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 11:16 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyk101 View Post
This is true but I just decided for this time that it only needed draining. The water in there had been sitting for the last couple weeks and I was getting concerned. And it was a matter of just turning 2 valves to bypass it.
It will heat up and kill germs if you use it. No need to sanitize beyond after winterization. Doing this over 50 years.
Old 07-08-2021, 11:18 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
In fact, when a Suburban Advantage porcelain-lined tank is properly maintained, tank life may double or triple its three-year limited warranty saving owners the cost of premature replacement. In addition, every Suburban Advantage tank is pressure tested twice during the manufacturing process to ensure its integrity.
Is anyone else interpreting this as a statement by Suburban that its customers should rest assured that a well-maintained tank will last six or nine years rather than three before needing replacement? (!)

Nights camped since 2016: 370
JArry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 11:21 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JArry View Post
Is anyone else interpreting this as a statement by Suburban that its customers should rest assured that a well-maintained tank will last six or nine years rather than three before needing replacement? (!)
In 50 years of RVs with at least a dozen RVs only replaced one hot water heater…after 9 years.
Old 07-09-2021, 12:30 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyk101 View Post
… After cranking on it, it started to move. I kept going and all of a sudden I get blasted by a wall of water and the drain plug goes shooting past me! Doh! I realized I didn't let the pressure out of the tank first. ...
I did exactly the same thing last week. The water wasn't hot but I and everything nearby was covered in a spray of calcium precipitate. At least it didn't take much effort to clean it out.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 09:56 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDguy View Post
In 50 years of RVs with at least a dozen RVs only replaced one hot water heater…after 9 years.
Hence the exclamation point.

I don't use mine so do not expect a replacement during my period of ownership!

Old 07-09-2021, 06:53 PM   #32
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JArry View Post
Hence the exclamation point.

I don't use mine so do not expect a replacement during my period of ownership!
Stop being such a Spartan! You have an RV now! Hot water is nice, dishes wash better, and cold showers suck.
Old 07-09-2021, 07:51 PM   #33

Every plumber I have talked to and my brother who spent 20 years working for a plumbing supply house always said, the pressure relief value is for emergencies only and if you use them, almost guaranteed they will start leaking...

It only takes a min to release the pressure from a hot water faucet

YMMV
Toy4Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 08:07 PM   #34
Trailer Park Supervisor

Huh. Didn't know that. Been doing it 3 years, doesn't leak a drop. Guess my mileage DID vary!
Old 07-09-2021, 08:12 PM   #35

Haha. With an A-frame Spartan is the name of the game!

Old 07-09-2021, 08:20 PM   #36
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy4Rick View Post
Every plumber I have talked to and my brother who spent 20 years working for a plumbing supply house always said, the pressure relief value is for emergencies only and if you use them, almost guaranteed they will start leaking...

YMMV
They do drip a bit afterwards until the water drys up. If it starts dripping on a regular basis just open the dang thing then let it snap shut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Huh. Didn't know that. Been doing it 3 years, doesn't leak a drop. Guess my mileage DID vary!
Mine leaks more than a drop, but only when I open it except when it's empty to start with.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 08:48 PM   #37

Quote:
... It only takes a min to release the pressure from a hot water faucet ...
Just walk around to the outside shower.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 08:55 PM   #38

Quote:

YMMV
That would have probably been a good idea if I hadn't turned the hot water bypass valves prior. With the bypass valves turned, I could have opened every single hot water faucet and it wouldn't have had any effect on the pressure in the hot water tank. If I had been aware of what kind of pressure the hot water tank had in it, I might have tried the opening of a hot water faucet somewhere in the system. I guess I will put that tidbit down on another note to self...
Old 07-11-2021, 08:43 PM   #39

Hi. I had struggled getting the anode rod in and out due to the fittings getting a bit of corrosion. I decided to try using food-grade silicone grease from the household plumbing department in our Menards on the threads. It has eased the install and removal immensely.
dkrohse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, hot water, tank, water, water tank