Old 09-21-2020, 07:38 PM   #1

On demand water heater.

We have a 2017 Rockwood 8324BS with the factory Suburban 6gal water heater and are thinking of switching to the Truma Aqua-Go Comfort on demand heater. Has anyone done this switch or have experience with the Truma unit?

Thx.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:42 PM   #2

No personal experience with that model but for on demand heaters in general make sure you get enough temperature rise. For example if campsite well water is at 50 degrees, and your heater has a temperature increase of 45 degrees, You'll forever have 95 degree showers.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:27 AM   #3

We have the Truma and love it, originally had the Girard 2 but it was very finicky, will the Truma fit in the current area for it? Also Truma usually wants their own techs to do the install and have not heard of many do it yourself installing them. I am sure if you get it you will be pleased with it except maybe the price, good luck and keep us posted.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:37 AM   #4

My next RV WILL have the Truma on-demand.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 12:55 PM   #5

On demand water heater

Hi, I have a Truma Aqua Go Comfort. Unlimited hot water
just adjust hot and cold like you would do in
sticks n bricks. Unlimited as long as you have
propane & water supply. Love it, never going back
to a tank water heater. Added a great shower
wand choice of spray & a pause, water pressure
even with water conservation. Truma is the one,
must have install done by trained tech. I had General
RV do it, yes highly recommend if you like a longer
than army shower, do dishes, or laundry in your RV.
Kampg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 01:25 PM   #6

We have been using the Truma for 2 years in our Isata 4 and would never go back to a tank water heater. It is very convenient and works great so far.

The only miner complaint is the 3 steps it takes to turn it on each time.
geneandjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 02:35 PM   #7
7 Year Class A RV'er

Girard Gen II

I’ve heard a lot of good things about the Truma unit. Also lots of good comments from others above. The Girard is a bit finicky but we’ve gotten used to it. Will go with Truma if we ever need to replace it. The temp rise mentioned above I very important to understand. You’ll most likely have to have the new heater door painted to match your coach. Other than that, I think the openings are all pretty standard.
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
My next RV WILL have the Truma on-demand.
Have you looked at the Suburban Nautilus on Demand Tankless Water Heater?

It looks really good to me and I have not heard anything bad to date. Has the features of the Truma for about 2/3 the cost and you can install it yourself, unlike the Truma that requires it be installed by a dealer further adding to the cost.

Of course if it came from the factory there would be no additional cost but if the dealer installed it there would be.

I blow hot and cold (hahahaha) on our Girarrd Gen 1 TWH. Sometimes it is perfect, sometimes it is a PITA.

What I really like is the ability to program a desired temp and the Suburban brings it up to that, adjusting the flow if necessary to achieve it.

Old 09-23-2020, 07:31 AM   #9
PhD, Common Sense

Just for future reference, in case I decide to go tankless in the future:

1. Is there a substantial size difference between tankless and tank heaters? Will there be extra space available for other uses? The IW60 seems to be quite large at 12.5” by 12.5” by 20”.

2. What are the implications for winterizing? The IW60 claims that it has built-in protection against freezes. How is this done? Can we actually count on that protection?

3. I have seen claims that the IW60 is user-installable. How true is this? Airxcel’s website states that it must be installed by a qualified technician.

4. Is it safe to assume that there is no electric option (as there is on my current heater)? I can’t imagine electric being as responsive as gas is.

I love the idea of not having to continually reheat water, having faster responsiveness, and hot water supplies only being limited by water supply in general. But I also have concerns about cost and complication.

Thanks in advance.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
Have you looked at the Suburban Nautilus on Demand Tankless Water Heater?

It looks really good to me and I have not heard anything bad to date. Has the features of the Truma for about 2/3 the cost and you can install it yourself, unlike the Truma that requires it be installed by a dealer further adding to the cost.

Of course if it came from the factory there would be no additional cost but if the dealer installed it there would be.

I blow hot and cold (hahahaha) on our Girarrd Gen 1 TWH. Sometimes it is perfect, sometimes it is a PITA.

What I really like is the ability to program a desired temp and the Suburban brings it up to that, adjusting the flow if necessary to achieve it.

Thanks Doug! I honestly had not even heard anything about it. I will definitely look at it.
I know what you mean about the Gen1. We discovered (while at hookups) if we turned on the bathroom sink hot water at just a trickle while showering, the shower was perfect, as it increased the flow rate. We never seemed to have a temp problem while dry camping, as I guess the shower isn't on very long and we cycle through the Shower Miser which also has a better flow rate than just the shower head.
Also never have the temp problem in winter, when the input water temp is colder.
But it would be nice to be able to adjust temp with a heater control!
Old 09-24-2020, 07:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Thanks Doug! I honestly had not even heard anything about it. I will definitely look at it.
I know what you mean about the Gen1. We discovered (while at hookups) if we turned on the bathroom sink hot water at just a trickle while showering, the shower was perfect, as it increased the flow rate. We never seemed to have a temp problem while dry camping, as I guess the shower isn't on very long and we cycle through the Shower Miser which also has a better flow rate than just the shower head.
Also never have the temp problem in winter, when the input water temp is colder.
But it would be nice to be able to adjust temp with a heater control!
Hey Scott, I read all the specs and watched a couple videos. To me it is an impressive device. As it comes you can select a range of temps from I think 4 ranges. The addition of a $68 control module allows you to set it to the exact degree. If I wee buying and installing one Id get the module as well.

We were in New Orleans at Bayou Segnette State Campground one New Years and it froze. Had a hard time keeping the water line open overnight.

The Girrard would not give us even a warm shower because 40 degree rise when the water is only 40 is not good. Luckily we were across the street from the shower house. If we were doing that on a regular basis Id already have one. hahaha

They are available on eBay for as low as $660 and retail I think for around $800
Old 09-24-2020, 09:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
Hey Scott, I read all the specs and watched a couple videos. To me it is an impressive device. As it comes you can select a range of temps from I think 4 ranges. The addition of a $68 control module allows you to set it to the exact degree. If I wee buying and installing one Id get the module as well.

We were in New Orleans at Bayou Segnette State Campground one New Years and it froze. Had a hard time keeping the water line open overnight.

The Girrard would not give us even a warm shower because 40 degree rise when the water is only 40 is not good. Luckily we were across the street from the shower house. If we were doing that on a regular basis Id already have one. hahaha

They are available on eBay for as low as $660 and retail I think for around $800
All the info does sound good! I say you should install it and let me know how it works
The Gen1 definitely has some problems but we have found ways to get by when it's being difficult. I understand about the cold inlet water. It happens to us when we stay in Williams AZ in March. I swear the incoming water temp is slush, even when I let it warm up in our fresh tank. I turn the Girard switch from auto to low and then turn down the hot water flow to where it's just above a trickle. Works for me to get hot water, but Liz is not a happy camper with that solution
I am trying to talk Liz into buying a new RV, and she is trying to convince me to keep this one. She loves it, and honestly, we have found anything else that compares for a decent price. But it needs a serious roof coating, new skylights and roof vent covers (again), and I am tired of continually waxing to prevent the rapid oxidation that occurs with this gray color.
If we do keep it, I will definitely look into a new on-demand, and the one you found seems to fit the bill.
Thanks for sharing. Always good to hear from you!
Old 09-25-2020, 11:32 AM   #13

Quote:
All the info does sound good! I say you should install it and let me know how it works
The Gen1 definitely has some problems but we have found ways to get by when it's being difficult. I understand about the cold inlet water. It happens to us when we stay in Williams AZ in March. I swear the incoming water temp is slush, even when I let it warm up in our fresh tank. I turn the Girard switch from auto to low and then turn down the hot water flow to where it's just above a trickle. Works for me to get hot water, but Liz is not a happy camper with that solution
I am trying to talk Liz into buying a new RV, and she is trying to convince me to keep this one. She loves it, and honestly, we have found anything else that compares for a decent price. But it needs a serious roof coating, new skylights and roof vent covers (again), and I am tired of continually waxing to prevent the rapid oxidation that occurs with this gray color.
If we do keep it, I will definitely look into a new on-demand, and the one you found seems to fit the bill.
Thanks for sharing. Always good to hear from you!
Hey Scott,
Just tried your work around with the lav faucet, it worked Perfectly. Both Tanya and I used it and were very pleased. MANY THANKS for the tip.

I too look at new campers, mostly the floor plans, and cannot find one we like better than what we have now. Besides Ive done so many mods to this one that Id have to start all over again with those and I dont' want to have to go through those again.

I did just recoat our roof, the rubber was getting soft. I used GACO Flex. It is a silicone product that is approved for use over EDPM. VERY white and reflective so the camper actually stays cooler.

The down side to a silicone is products like Eternabond tape are OK under it but will not stick to it if you try and use it as a repair. It takes a silicone product to repair it. Cost was around $500. I bought it in gallon cans so it was easier to lift up onto the roof. I bought 7 and took one back unopened. Have about 1/2 gallon left over.

I don't mind the sides of the camper not being perfect but the front cap bothers the hell out of me. The rear is just as bad. I am going to paint them both myself. The product I will use is an aircraft coating, by a company called Randolph. Polyurethane Enamel called Ranthane. Their Polar Grey is a near exact match for the factory color.

I have a sign shop to make the large decals on the front and rear. The small areas where the lines extend for the other decals Im just gong to paint with a closely matching paint after I put on the grey. Less trouble and cheaper. I can actually use rattle cans of automotive paint after I mask it off. I just need to get the paint and then strip the old decals off with a heat gun........

Just have a couple other little projects before I get started on that one.

It is always good to hear from you too. One of these days when we are fairly close to one another we will have to get together and share a beer or 2 or 10.

Tags
heater, water, water heater