Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2019, 08:24 PM   #1

Oops. Forgot to blow out my toilet valve last Fall

First trip of the new year. We get to the campsite and get set up and relax. A little while later, my wife yells from the bathroom "We've got a leak!"

Sure enough, drip, drip, drip from the valve at the base/back of the toilet. It immediately dawns on me that I probably didn't step on the flush when blowing out my lines last Fall - cr@p!

I disconnected the water line but it wasn't immediately obvious to me how to get the valve out. I went to the dometic web site and looked for the toilet manual and found a valve replacement document. You have to squeeze some tabs that don't want to move but I eventually got it out. I also had to uncrimp the hose crimp on the vacuum breaker tube but finally got that off.

I called around to a couple of RV stores and finally found someone who had it who was about 20 miles away. Oh well, gotta have a toilet...

Got the part, put it all back together and - no drip! Yay!

Just now I found the dometic toilet manual online and found the section on the valve. There is apparently a freeze indicator window that indicates if the valve has been damaged by freezing. My valve had the telltale white stress cracks that, I guess, show that the part has been frozen so they don't have to cover damage because of it - who knew!

I also found the part online for around $16. Just a tad less than the $48 the dealer charged me...

Anyway, don't forget to blow out your toilet!
Old 05-27-2019, 09:30 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Even when remembering to step on the toilet valve during winterization, many folks still report the valve breaking because droplets of water run back down into the valve from the rim of the toilet.

Using R/V antifreeze will eliminate those water drops that can (and do) cause freeze damage.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:52 PM   #3

As 5Picker noted, air cannot get all the drops out...so it is safest to use RV antifreeze. Also, using a garage compressor to blow out the lines can introduce unwanted bacteria into your system. Those air hoses, compressor motors, etc. do not deliver clean and sanitary air...it is dirty air. So, if you choose that method, be sure to sanitize your entire system well with chlorine bleach...or you may end up with a very unhealthy water situation. Might be preferable to skip the air completely...

2014 Spartan 1032
2015 GMC 3500HD Denali 4WD/Duramax
RockyMtnMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:06 AM   #4
Trailer Park Supervisor

Funny thing, when I summer-ized trailer this spring after late fall winter delivery, I noticed no pink stuff coming out of faucets. I called dealer and they said they don't use anti-freeze, they only blow the lines. I think I will be using the pink stuff just for the traps and toilet seal. And I won't be forgetting to drain and blow out that flush valve! And I will sanitize as recommended starting next Spring.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Funny thing, when I summer-ized trailer this spring after late fall winter delivery, I noticed no pink stuff coming out of faucets. I called dealer and they said they don't use anti-freeze, they only blow the lines. I think I will be using the pink stuff just for the traps and toilet seal. And I won't be forgetting to drain and blow out that flush valve! And I will sanitize as recommended starting next Spring.
I always suck a little antifreeze into the water pump as well after I blow the lines out.

Bob
HappyTrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:18 AM   #6
Site Team

We need to bookmark this thread and save it for this fall when the people will be asking which is better, blowing out the lines only or using the pink stuff.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:44 AM   #7

Everyone has their preference. Mine is the pink stuff, it makes me feel better when I see it cooking through each valve. Last February was very cold here...-30 deg C for most of it. I need to install a bypass for the filter system or delete it. I've never had a filter in it and it uses additional antifreeze. I have had a few mishaps but never a frozen trailer. Once I drained the HW tank but forgot to bypass it and pumped some pink stuff through it. This spring I couldn't get the pump to prime from the tank...after a couple of minutes I remembered to close the suction valve for the antifreeze line. I have a bit of a mental list for winterizing, don't forget the outdoor shower, toilet and to ensure the drain is open in the FW tank. I also double check the HW tank is drained.
Hoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:57 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I don't see the point in using air blowout. You can't count on it to get everything out and then you wind up using the pink stuff anyway. I just use the pint stuff. It takes 2 gallons and about 10 minutes. Our trailer survived an actual -37F this winter here in Minnesota.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:17 AM   #9

Pink stuff wouldn't have helped the OP. He admits that he forgot to step on the valve of the toilet when winterizing. Air or pink stuff doesn't help when you don't open the valve of that line to let what ever method you are using to pass through.

The moral of this story doesn't have to do with which method you choose. It has to do with not forgetting any of the water lines in your unit.
joeuncool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
I don't see the point in using air blowout. You can't count on it to get everything out and then you wind up using the pink stuff anyway. I just use the pint stuff. It takes 2 gallons and about 10 minutes. Our trailer survived an actual -37F this winter here in Minnesota.
Mine has survived -30F in Illinois with only air.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 10:28 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeuncool View Post
Pink stuff wouldn't have helped the OP. He admits that he forgot to step on the valve of the toilet when winterizing. Air or pink stuff doesn't help when you don't open the valve of that line to let what ever method you are using to pass through.

The moral of this story doesn't have to do with which method you choose. It has to do with not forgetting any of the water lines in your unit.
True, but I always have visual confirmation that I stepped on the valve because I have pink stuff in my toilet. Which is a nice little reminder.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:37 PM   #12
KAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeuncool View Post

I have blown out the lines with the toilet valve open (pedal down) 2 winters in a row, and the valve froze and cracked anyway (probably water remnant backflow). Since using the pink stuff, I have had no more problems. I have been thinking of installing a drain valve at the low point, just in case.
I would prefer not to have to use the pink stuff, since my water tank doesn't have a drain (why not???) and the only way to get the water, pink stuff, and bleach out of the water tank and to flush it is with the pump (royal PITA!).
KAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:40 PM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAS View Post
I have blown out the lines with the toilet valve open (pedal down) 2 winters in a row, and the valve froze and cracked anyway (probably water remnant backflow). Since using the pink stuff, I have had no more problems. I have been thinking of installing a drain valve at the low point, just in case.
I would prefer not to have to use the pink stuff, since my water tank doesn't have a drain (why not???) and the only way to get the water, pink stuff, and bleach out of the water tank and to flush it is with the pump (royal PITA!).
I have never seen a fresh water tank without a drain in an R/V.
That had to be a mistake!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:45 PM   #14
KAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I was thinking that too, but then I thought maybe it was the latest dumb idea by FR to cut down on leaks.
Maybe I can have somebody (competent!) install a drain for me.
P.S.: It's a 2013 Sunseeker 2250SLEC, does anyone else have one and does it have a drain? I would be curious to see whether mine WAS a mistake.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAS View Post
I use air and haven't had a problem yet. What I wonder about is if people take the time that air requires. Takes me just over 2 hours to fully winterize the trailer for winter. Using anti freeze would be much quicker, 30 minutes or less, but I prefer to not use it in my fresh water system.

I go through each line and blow it until no water comes out at all. You can get random spits if you give it a few minutes so I let the air go until I think I am done and then let it go some more. I also watch the air pressure in the tank and make sure that I am pushing 40-50 lbs the entire time. Then, once all the lines are done, I go through all of them again.
joeuncool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:58 PM   #16
KAS

Quote:
Did a search and found this:

Quote:
In my new 2250SLE there is a storage compartment at the rear of the coach, driver's side. The electrical cord is also housed there. At the top forward side of that compartment is a round access hatch. If I unscrew and open that hatch, the fresh water tank drain valve is there.

My low point drains are found at the bottom of the coach to the left of the coach door .

Hope this helps.

I'll check it out!!!
Old 05-28-2019, 03:55 PM   #17

FW Tank Drain

Quote:
My FW tank has a drain but with downward curvature of the tank, the drain does NOT get rid of all the water.

My solution is to install a 1-1/4” PVC flange (trace out and drill for bolts with fender washers installed inside the tank under bolt heads). Reduce down to 1/2” FPT , install 90 and a valve. This way I will have ALL the water in the tank available and not have lots of stagnant water over the off-season.

There are kits to do this but they are way expensive. With a flange, gasket, hardware and fittings, should be less than $50.
Waterops1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 05:26 PM   #18
Ham Call N8SAC

If you live where freezing temp happen . Always use anti freeze. The cost is less than $10 and takes les than 10 minutes. Tried to winterize one year with air . Cost me $350 to replace lines next spring.
Maxwell D Pratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:09 PM   #19

A little water laying in the bottom of the FW tank will not hurt it.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:35 PM   #20

Water left in FW tank

Unfortunately, in my case, there appears to be several gallons of water being retained that is otherwise unavailable. My tank has a substantial bow in it. So much so, that I replaced the cheap sheet metal straps installed by FR with chain covered by garden hose. I don’t intend to be one of the few folks that drop a tank on the road.
Waterops1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
valve