Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2019, 09:42 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 20
Out Side Kitchen Sink To Black Tank

howdy

While getting trailer ready for the season I started cleaning/flushing out my gray, waste, fresh water tanks.

I ran the water in the outside kitchen, trying to fill up gray tank.
But no water ever registered on the water level gauge inside on panel.

However the black water tank went to 100 % , I had just filled, flushed and drained a little, I just thought I didn’t drain enough out so I drained down to 50%


Still running sink water I went to dump gray tank and nothing came out…….im confussed.

Again the black water tank went to 100%......ah hah light bulb goes off.




Outside sink Is running into black tank, I assumed it would go into gray.


Wonder if going into black tank was by design or someone goofed and connected to black by mistake.

Where does your outside sink water go ?


Side note the sink is plastic, never paid attention to it until i placed a hot tong on it, melted edge..



pete
__________________

__________________
Pete00

2018 Rockwood Sig Ultra Llite 8324BS
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
pete00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:16 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10,907
Right or wrong, they always seem to take it to the nearest tank. Looking at your floor plan, given that your kitchen sink and shower are forward of your toilet, I'd say your black tank is behind your grey tank, and your outside sink is slightly behind your toilet. So I'd say by design.

https://www.campersinn.com/product/n...24bs-660766-29
__________________

__________________
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2009) - outlasted 3 Dodge Grand Caravans!
2012 Roo19 - hybrid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:49 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Right or wrong, they always seem to take it to the nearest tank. Looking at your floor plan, given that your kitchen sink and shower are forward of your toilet, I'd say your black tank is behind your grey tank, and your outside sink is slightly behind your toilet. So I'd say by design.

https://www.campersinn.com/product/n...24bs-660766-29



thanks for reply......makes sense in there twisted logic
__________________
Pete00

2018 Rockwood Sig Ultra Llite 8324BS
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
pete00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:02 AM   #4
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Yuma, Arizona
Posts: 3,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete00 View Post
thanks for reply......makes sense in there twisted logic
How do you figure that is "twisted logic"?
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:40 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 799
Agree, from a user perspective it is counter intuitive (Ie, sink drain is gray water...) however, from a build/layout perspective it is easiest to dump to the nearest tank.

My previous rig was like this (I found out the same way you did). The benefits I found are:
1)plumbing is localized to a central area. (Shorter pipe runs to winterize or keep warm while camping below freezing)

2) when connected to sewer I can drain the black tank then use the sink to fill and rinse with clean water to keep the sensors clean. While packing up, I fill/dump 3 times with water and my sensors would register empty. I did not have a black tank flush on that rig
__________________
2016 RAM 3500 DRW 4x4 LB LoneStar Edition, w/Timbrens, Andersen Ultimate 2, Swift Hitch SH04 WiFi Backup/Rear View Camera
2018 Chaparral 360IBL w/Tireminder SMART TPMS, Furrion Wireless Observation System, Progressive EMS-HW50C
2006 RAM 3500 DRW LoneStar Edition
2011 Starcraft 392BHU w/Andersen No-Sway hitch
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:19 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete00 View Post
howdy

While getting trailer ready for the season I started cleaning/flushing out my gray, waste, fresh water tanks.

I ran the water in the outside kitchen, trying to fill up gray tank.
But no water ever registered on the water level gauge inside on panel.

However the black water tank went to 100 % , I had just filled, flushed and drained a little, I just thought I didn’t drain enough out so I drained down to 50%


Still running sink water I went to dump gray tank and nothing came out…….im confussed.

Again the black water tank went to 100%......ah hah light bulb goes off.




Outside sink Is running into black tank, I assumed it would go into gray.


Wonder if going into black tank was by design or someone goofed and connected to black by mistake.

Where does your outside sink water go ?


Side note the sink is plastic, never paid attention to it until i placed a hot tong on it, melted edge..



pete
Pete, My outside sink is a plastic one also but it has no drain in it at all. Was you rig used and the previous owners added a drain. IM thinking about that myself for mine.
56barelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:25 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: 8300 Feet - Rocky Mountains
Posts: 1,262
I have a PUP.
Both inside and outside sinks go to the grey tank.
Draining a sink into the black tank is stupid...beyond stupid. Sink water will fill a black tank very quickly, and you have little recourse other than a dump station.

If you can reroute the drain plumbing from the outside sink to the grey tank, you'll be far better off, especially if you boondock. Without delving into the debate over grey water handling, if you are in the boonies, it's possible to dispose of grey water safely by watering trees. If you are in a more controlled camping area, you can easily tote grey water to a pit toilet or bathroom and flush it.

To make the job easier, you can make your joints with Fernco fittings.
__________________
Jim & Renee
2020 Jayco Jay Feather X-213
previously 2014 Forest River/Rockwood HW 277
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Wellington
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:34 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Port Charlotte Fl/Hinsdale Ma
Posts: 4,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post
I have a PUP.
Both inside and outside sinks go to the grey tank.
Draining a sink into the black tank is stupid...beyond stupid. Sink water will fill a black tank very quickly, and you have little recourse other than a dump station.

If you can reroute the drain plumbing from the outside sink to the grey tank, you'll be far better off, especially if you boondock. Without delving into the debate over grey water handling, if you are in the boonies, it's possible to dispose of grey water safely by watering trees. If you are in a more controlled camping area, you can easily tote grey water to a pit toilet or bathroom and flush it.

To make the job easier, you can make your joints with Fernco fittings.
Explain that to FR. Many Motor Homes have hand sinks piped the Black water. Hand sink water is minimal and should not cause an issue.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:45 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaps2018 View Post
Agree, from a user perspective it is counter intuitive (Ie, sink drain is gray water...) however, from a build/layout perspective it is easiest to dump to the nearest tank.

My previous rig was like this (I found out the same way you did). The benefits I found are:
1)plumbing is localized to a central area. (Shorter pipe runs to winterize or keep warm while camping below freezing)

2) when connected to sewer I can drain the black tank then use the sink to fill and rinse with clean water to keep the sensors clean. While packing up, I fill/dump 3 times with water and my sensors would register empty. I did not have a black tank flush on that rig

I may rinse out black tank as you suggested, even though I have black tank flush,. this way the boss wont yell at me for disconnecting water was while she's using it...
pete00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:46 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by 56barelm View Post
Pete, My outside sink is a plastic one also but it has no drain in it at all. Was you rig used and the previous owners added a drain. IM thinking about that myself for mine.

new trailer came with sink
pete00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:15 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: 8300 Feet - Rocky Mountains
Posts: 1,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Explain that to FR. Many Motor Homes have hand sinks piped the Black water. Hand sink water is minimal and should not cause an issue.
What is and what should be are often different. A 45 gallon black tank surely has some reserve, but a bathroom basin sink won't see the potential traffic an outdoor kitchen might see if it's used a lot. And one wonders where the shower goes if the bathroom sink is routed to the black tank. Customarily, the bath sink drain can tie into shower drain plumbing. Where does the shower go?

An outdoor kitchen, as with the indoor kitchen, may see quite a bit of use. I use mine all the time. I dare say that half of the sink water in my rig comes from the outdoor kitchen sink.

Then there's the matter of cleaning, as the OP is attempting to do. Putting relatively clean water into the black tank requires dumping the black tank...not just into a bucket as he might during this maintenance, but into a dump station or home drain cleanout. Once in the black tank, that water is dangerously contaminated and should not be handled as one can handle grey water.

That is a very disappointing...as I said, stupid...design. An expedient answer to a plumbing design challenge that should never have been chosen.

But lesson learned. Where does the grey water go? is a key question on my shopping list.
__________________
Jim & Renee
2020 Jayco Jay Feather X-213
previously 2014 Forest River/Rockwood HW 277
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Wellington
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:01 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 49
I to found out my outside sink was connected to black tank by accident. I like it now when washing really dishes that have food remnants or kids cereal bowls, I take to the outside sink. Also makes it easy to add a little water and treatment at the start of a trip
RnRushin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 04:08 PM   #13
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Yuma, Arizona
Posts: 3,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by RnRushin View Post
I to found out my outside sink was connected to black tank by accident.
I think we've already discussed in this topic thread that the sink wasn't accidently connected to the black tank.

It was done by design.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:01 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Port Charlotte Fl/Hinsdale Ma
Posts: 4,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post
What is and what should be are often different. A 45 gallon black tank surely has some reserve, but a bathroom basin sink won't see the potential traffic an outdoor kitchen might see if it's used a lot. And one wonders where the shower goes if the bathroom sink is routed to the black tank. Customarily, the bath sink drain can tie into shower drain plumbing. Where does the shower go?

An outdoor kitchen, as with the indoor kitchen, may see quite a bit of use. I use mine all the time. I dare say that half of the sink water in my rig comes from the outdoor kitchen sink.

Then there's the matter of cleaning, as the OP is attempting to do. Putting relatively clean water into the black tank requires dumping the black tank...not just into a bucket as he might during this maintenance, but into a dump station or home drain cleanout. Once in the black tank, that water is dangerously contaminated and should not be handled as one can handle grey water.

That is a very disappointing...as I said, stupid...design. An expedient answer to a plumbing design challenge that should never have been chosen.

But lesson learned. Where does the grey water go? is a key question on my shopping list.

It is by design and is not a stupid design. many times a 1/2 bath will have no way to gravity feed a sink to the gray tank. being that bath sink water is so minimal, it makes very good economical sense to dump it in the black tank. in the big sceam of things it poses no problem.

Shower goes to the gray tank
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:31 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 402
My 29FBSS has the outside sink plumbed to the black tank. I like it. We do a lot of 2 night camps at places without sewer hookup and it allows us an extra place to prepare food, wash hands, and clean dishes. We would never fill the black tank in two days anyway. One thing to know is that if you travel with stuff in your black tank you need to plug the drain in the outside kitchen. I didn't know why ours came with a screw in sink stopper. Then I towed it with black water in the tank for an hour or two while traveling. The sink wasn't plugged and the trap must have drained out while driving. The smell then came into the outside kitchen and the bunk house.
bigmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 01:26 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmurph View Post
My 29FBSS has the outside sink plumbed to the black tank. I like it. We do a lot of 2 night camps at places without sewer hookup and it allows us an extra place to prepare food, wash hands, and clean dishes. We would never fill the black tank in two days anyway. One thing to know is that if you travel with stuff in your black tank you need to plug the drain in the outside kitchen. I didn't know why ours came with a screw in sink stopper. Then I towed it with black water in the tank for an hour or two while traveling. The sink wasn't plugged and the trap must have drained out while driving. The smell then came into the outside kitchen and the bunk house.

interesting I just looked at my outside sink stopper, not a screw in but you push down and snaps into place. versus just resting in place for my kitchen and bathroom sinks....I've always left it open, guess I'll plug it up from now on. the drain under sink has one of those waterless traps. should keep odors out until it fails.
__________________

pete00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
black, black tank, sink, tank

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:20 AM.


×