Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2020, 01:13 PM   #1

Unhappy Outdoor kitchen sink drains in underbelly

I have a 2019 Wildwood Heritage Glen LTZ 272RL. The outdoor kitchen sink drains into the underbelly of the trailer and no water ever comes out of the drain line located on the opposite side of the RV. Any ideas on how to fix this?
Jean-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 01:37 PM   #2

You'll have to open the underbelly and see what's going on. Sounds like the drain line has either separated from the holding tank or was never installed in the first place.

You can cut a U-shaped hole, leaving the uncut side towards the front. This makes a "hinge." You can then drop the U down and see inside to see what's going on. Then use duct tape or gorilla tape to re-seal the hole when you're done.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Underbelly Hinged Opening.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	229603

You may need to make a few of these as you figure out where the drain line is routed.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 01:54 PM   #3

Thank you for the quick reply! That sounds like a good idea. I have dropped the underbelly slightly on the kitchen side by removing 2 self-tapping screws (so I could drain the water), so I should be able to shine a light in there to see where the end of the pipe goes into the tanks before I start cutting the holes.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:55 PM   #4

Since it is a 2019, is it still in the 1 year warranty period? Even if it is not I would suggest contacting the dealer to see if you can get them to take care of this. Waste water getting into things in the underbelly is a very bad thing and can cause a lot of future problems.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:54 PM   #5

You're right and I'm on it. The problem is, my dealer went under in this corona virus pandemic... The unit is still on warranty and I'm in contact with the Forest River Wildwood Warranty Administrator. He suggested I get a mobile RV technician to come to the seasonal campground I am at to have a look. One did (he's also a Puma and Surveyor dealer) and he said he needed to have the trailer back at his shop to take down the rear part of the underbelly to have a proper look. He wouldn't even hazard an estimate. So I'm contacting other techs to see if someone will give me the estimate for repairs that Forest River needs before they give me the go ahead.
Fortunately, only about 3-4 gallons on clean water ended up down there and I was able to get it all out and leave a side of the membrane open to aerate.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:20 AM   #6

I'm surprised he can't drop the underbelly at your site, especially if it's only screwed on (as opposed to the "nails" that some employ).

In fact, you might want to drop it yourself, as opposed to cutting the U-holes, if you can simply unscrew it.

I know some folks here with the "nailed on" underbelly have said they've dropped it, then used screws to put it back on. (Manufacturers like the nails because they're faster to install.)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 02:24 PM   #7

That’s workable too, thanks for the suggestion. Meanwhile, I found out that RV Canada has taken over from my (failed) dealership. So I’ve contacted them to set up an appointment with their mobile tech to try and get an estimate for Forest River. The other guy didn’t seem too interested
Old 05-26-2020, 02:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
I'm surprised he can't drop the underbelly at your site, especially if it's only screwed on (as opposed to the "nails" that some employ).

In fact, you might want to drop it yourself, as opposed to cutting the U-holes, if you can simply unscrew it.

I know some folks here with the "nailed on" underbelly have said they've dropped it, then used screws to put it back on. (Manufacturers like the nails because they're faster to install.)
pulled mine down that had the nails although they had a phillips head on the end. Replaced with self tappers
Ole_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 04:31 PM   #9

Did you slit the underbelly to release the drain terminals?
Old 05-26-2020, 05:19 PM   #10

I would assume that the out door kitchen sink drains into the gray water tank. I have an out door kitchen sink (Hemisphere) and that is where my gray water goes. My unit has one black water waste tank an two gray water tanks. One gray water tank for the inside sinks and one gray water tank for the out side sink. To me it would seem strange to have a drain line that does not go to a waste tank.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 05:34 PM   #11

True. I can see the outside sink drain line going over a tank but I don’t know if it’s a common tank for the kitchen sink and the outdoor kitchen sink or if it’s only for the outdoor sink. Looks kinda big. About 4*" thick and 3’ long x 18" wide
Old 05-27-2020, 08:21 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Guy View Post
Did you slit the underbelly to release the drain terminals?
If you are asking me, no I just pulled the coroplast sheet down. I was able to roll it under with out it kinking and put it back up with self tapping screws. I did have another layer of a woven plastic fabric that I did not pull. Not sure if the outdoor sink drain would bee above that but that would probably be fine with tapping it back together
Ole_blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, drain, outdoor kitchen, sink, underbelly