Old 07-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #1
SMS

Overflow issue

New member but a slightly seasoned camper. Took delivery on a 2013 36 CKTS this spring. When we fill with water the overflow runs out about an eighth of the tank before stopping. Have been told it was because of going to a pressurized system. Any solutions? We have been told to put a shut off on overflow, but for goodness sakes don't forget to open it before pumping, or tank will suck in. Talked with a fellow camper with a 2012 Sandpiper with the same problem.

SMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the Forum!

The tank is vented so it's not pressurized. The problem most likely, is the location of the overflow line in the tank. Do you have a vent line also...it's usually right beside the fill line.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
SMS

Overflow issue

I have been told that the overflow is also the vent. The person with the Sandpiper told me he was told the newer models were a pressurized system. The whole thing seems quite illogical to me.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:12 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

You should check how your vent line is run. You might need to access the tank to do that and it could involve a lot of work dropping belly coverings.

The vent/overflow is usually the same hose depending on your rig.
The overflow is located "kinda" at the top and runs up next to the fresh water gravity fill port.

Depending on the location of the hose and the angle of the camper (levelness), the vent line can "burp" water as it fills or even dump water when it is only partially filled.

As you can see from the two vent line photos a "U" in the vent line can fill with water and when pressure builds up in the tank; burp out water.

In the other photo, you can see the vent will be under water well before you have a full tank due to the angle of the tank.

Also note the location of the water pump inlet hose. If you are angled the other way you can suck air with a quarter of the tank full of unusable water.

The last photo shows the "levelness" effect on your tank level indicators. Depending on the angle of the tank, you may never get a "full" light and in fact may indicate 1/3 of a tank remaining when the pump is sucking air.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Horst Probe Install 020.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	16635   Click image for larger version

Name:	Water%20Tank%201.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	16636   Click image for larger version

Name:	Horst Probe Install 019.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	16637  
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:14 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ahh, I have a vent but no overflow. I don't understand how the FW tank would ever be filled if there's no vent or overflow line. Where's the air in the tank suppose to go?

Dave

Old 07-17-2012, 11:20 AM   #6
SMS

My dealer said it is not a pressurized system. He said the problem is when I fill my fresh water tank it expands. If it is not level it then contracts and siphons out water until the contraction is complete. It will not siphon nearly as much when level. We refilled at the campground when we were level and lost approximately 5 gallons, but the gauge said we were full. I am considering putting in a stainless steel tank.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:35 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
Ahh, I have a vent but no overflow. I don't understand how the FW tank would ever be filled if there's no vent or overflow line. Where's the air in the tank suppose to go?

Dave
the vent and overflow are the same hose. As you add water to the big "vacuum cleaner" type hose water runs into the tank and air escapes through the "overflow/vent" and around the incoming water in the gravity fill hose.

With the cap on the gravity fill port, water being pumped out is replaced by air drawn through the "overflow/vent" hose. The overflow/vent hose is the smaller one located at the top of the tank in the photos.
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 07-17-2012, 11:42 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMS View Post
My dealer said it is not a pressurized system. He said the problem is when I fill my fresh water tank it expands. If it is not level it then contracts and siphons out water until the contraction is complete. It will not siphon nearly as much when level. We refilled at the campground when we were level and lost approximately 5 gallons, but the gauge said we were full. I am considering putting in a stainless steel tank.
Your dealer is correct; it is not a "pressurized system." However, it CAN be pressurized both positively and negatively by how it is used (or abused).

If you stick the garden hose into the gravity fill port and turn it on full, water can enter the tank faster than the small vent hose can relieve. This will "pressurize" the tank and swell it. When you turn off the water the pressurized tank will gush water out the gravity fill to relieve the pressure.

If the vent hose has a severe U shaped loop in it (like the photo) it will stay full of water and your pump will need to work very hard to suck water out of the tank since air will need to be sucked into the tank after the water is sucked out of the hose. This will partially (very slightly but significant) collapse the tank and negatively pressurize it until the air burps back into the tank to relieve it. This can cause water pressure fluctuations when running on the pump.
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 07-17-2012, 11:50 AM   #9
SMS

Herk7769: I believe I get the most sense out of your explanation. Now, with the 23013, there is no gravity fill. There is one port with a valve that is in either tank, or city water position. I bet this problem started when they went this way, I believe more water is going in than air is coming out. This sounds like the most logical explanation. I wonder if there is a way to vent more air?
Old 07-17-2012, 11:51 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
the vent and overflow are the same hose. As you add water to the big "vacuum cleaner" type hose water runs into the tank and air escapes through the "overflow/vent" and around the incoming water in the gravity fill hose.
I was referring to set-up where the FW tank overflow is under the camper.

Dave

Old 09-09-2012, 08:52 AM   #11

I have a semi-related question here. On my Salem, I have the FW vent/overflow hose down underneath the camper right next to the FW drain hose--the drain has a stopcock and the overflow does not. When I fill the FW tank at home before heading out for a weekend of dry camping, the indicator lights inside tell me it's full. Then I head out on the highway, and I-81 in NEPA is all uphill/downhill/uphill/downhill--when I get to my destination 70 miles later, the indicator lights tell me that I've lost 1/3 of my capacity. I'm thinking that this is from water running out of the overflow as I drive up and down hills. Does this sound possible, and if so, would putting a stopcock on the overflow and closing it for drive time be a good solution? Thanks!
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #12

Hey HERK; I've seen MANY posts about fresh water tanks not being full once people arrive at their campgrounds. Could it be a simple issue of the water being sucked out the vent line by air flow over the side of the camper while driving down the road?

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:17 PM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy
Hey HERK; I've seen MANY posts about fresh water tanks not being full once people arrive at their campgrounds. Could it be a simple issue of the water being sucked out the vent line by air flow over the side of the camper while driving down the road?
Yes, Venturi action can suck water out of the tank through a poorly routed vent hose.
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 09-09-2012, 07:29 PM   #14

Installed the stopcock today. I'll report back after the next dry camping trip on 9/21-9/23. I can't see where else that water could be going except out the overflow/vent, so we'll see.

Thanks!
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:37 AM   #15

Loss of water.....

I am glad I am not the only one with water issues. We purchased a new 2012 262RL Salem Hemisphere approximately 1 1/2 months ago replacing the 24' Hemisphere we bought last year. We have gone on 3 trips where we have not had water hook ups. All 3 trips we have lost significant water. This past weekend we lost 2/3 of the tank of water, when we arrived at Algonqin Park we only had 1/3 of a tank of fresh water. I phoned the Dealership the last time and took it down to them. They filled the water tank and let it sit for 3 days not loosing any water....dumbasses, I told them it didn't loose water when it was sitting, only when we were travelling. When I called them back today they told me they had never heard of it and they didn't know what they were going to do.....I have a suggestion but they might not like it LOL....Does anyone have a solution other then one I might be thinking of? I would appreciate if anyone has had the problem and had it fixed what happened. I know our old one didn't have this problem.....
methern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:42 AM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

're routing the over flow tube ?
Can you not see water spewing from trailer whilst driving ?
If my tank is full full mine sometimes splashes out a little but I can see it out my drivers mirror .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:43 AM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

In all cases was the Hw tank full before leaving ?
Old 09-10-2012, 11:45 AM   #18

Tanks all full and burped of air then topped up again with water. Yes water coming out overflow....dealership said this was normal....
Old 09-10-2012, 11:49 AM   #19

Perhaps I should suggest this stopcock thingy....trailer going back to dealership later this afternoon....
Old 09-10-2012, 11:51 AM   #20
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by methern
Tanks all full and burped of air then topped up again with water. Yes water coming out overflow....dealership said this was normal....
Just hard to comprehend how this is possible and definitely not saying it isn't.