Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2020, 09:11 PM   #1

Owners manual falls short

hello! New to the forums and to forest river. I just purchased a 2021 Phoenix 30BH. Just pulled it home 550 miles today. Having gone through all the manuals like a good little camper I am still uncertain of a couple things.

1. Where is the access to my water heater bypass valves?

2. I can hear it but I cant for the life of me find the water pump. Where is it?

3. I'm doing good because I guess that's it for now.

Thanks for any help anyone may provide.
Openingshok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 05:45 AM   #2

Manuals for RVs are usually generic and not model specific. Since your unit is a 2021 model, did you purchase it new from a dealer? The dealer should have walked you through all of the RV’s systems.

Hopefully a forum member can help.
Old 07-12-2020, 06:40 AM   #3
Georgia Rally Coordinator

You should see the lever to turn when you access the side door where your city water hook up is and all the other valves for dumping waste and gray water. yes manuals lack a lot of info. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
Manuals for RVs are usually generic and not model specific. Since your unit is a 2021 model, did you purchase it new from a dealer? The dealer should have walked you through all of the RV’s systems.

Unfortunately I had to show the service tech doing the orientation a few things about my new unit. Fortunately I did my research and "studied" youtube prior to pickup LOL. Unfortunately in today's service world the "PROFESSIONALS" are generally very under educated on the product they are representing. We had the same issue with the new boat we purchased a few years back.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
You should see the lever to turn when you access the side door where your city water hook up is and all the other valves for dumping waste and gray water. yes manuals lack a lot of info. Later RJD
Hmm. My city water hookup is a port on the side of the unit, not in the basement compartment. The waste dump handles are on the bottom of the unit. This doesn't have the large "control panel" feature in the hatch.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Openingshok View Post
Unfortunately I had to show the service tech doing the orientation a few things about my new unit. Fortunately I did my research and "studied" youtube prior to pickup LOL. Unfortunately in today's service world the "PROFESSIONALS" are generally very under educated on the product they are representing. We had the same issue with the new boat we purchased a few years back.
You are absolutely correct regarding product knowledge at dealerships. Quite often the customer did the research and knows more about the product than the person selling or servicing it.

I hope forum members can help you with your questions.
BehindBars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:07 AM   #7

Found the water heater. I had to unscrew the decking from the bunk bed. They can't put an access hatch? I'd love to get on an R&D team when these are designed. RV engineers apparently are not owners LOL. I located the general area of the water pump but haven't made eye contact and not sure how I would replace it if it ever needed it (which it will at some point)
Old 07-12-2020, 03:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Openingshok View Post
hello! New to the forums and to forest river. I just purchased a 2021 Phoenix 30BH. Just pulled it home 550 miles today. Having gone through all the manuals like a good little camper I am still uncertain of a couple things.

1. Where is the access to my water heater bypass valves?

2. I can hear it but I cant for the life of me find the water pump. Where is it?

3. I'm doing good because I guess that's it for now.

Thanks for any help anyone may provide.
Look for a removable panel in the pass through storage for the WP. For the WH bypass, look for a panel under one of the bunk mattress.
bzac1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 03:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzac1954 View Post
Look for a removable panel in the pass through storage for the WP. For the WH bypass, look for a panel under one of the bunk mattress.
Thanks! Found the WH so will look for the pump.
Old 07-13-2020, 07:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post

You guys still have it OK, there are only a handful of Campers in South Africa, No dealers, and I bought my Palomino 2nd hand! - lucky to be a retired engineer,still do not know what one drain underneath is for, know nothing of heaters in sunny South Africa, also 2 off strange wires, one a solid Cu, connected to underside of body? quess some kind of of common EARTH?
CHEERS
Hendrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 08:41 AM   #11

Do not expect ANY useful information in the manual, they took it all out by making a manual that covers everything! Our first RV, 1970 Jayco popup, manual was very nice, and model specific. Our second was a 1989 Winnebago Cheifton, manual covered two models and was very good. Our third, a 2015 Coachman TT, and current, a 2015 Thor Windsport, have useless generic junk manuals. I notified Thor that their manual needed revision, it had a paragraph that was useful!

Erank
FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manual