Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2018, 02:53 PM   #1

please help repair my black tank pipe!

I had a crack in the 3 inch dia. elbow draining the black tank. I have it all apart but had 2 questions.
1. Can I replace the black pipe that goes into the tank. What is it called and where can I get one. I can try to cut or take out the old pipe but it is a pain to do. Notice there is a O-ring on that pipe.
2. What is the black sealant used on that pipe? What can I use to seal it when I reinstall it.
[IMG][IMG]http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/attachment.php?

do not think it maters but it is on a 2014 sunseeker 2500 TSChevy

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rv pipe.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	286.4 KB
ID:	178608   Click image for larger version

Name:	pipe2.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	459.8 KB
ID:	178610  
TSman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 03:12 PM   #2

What did the o-ring end plug into?
Where is the gate valve?

I think the pipe and fittings are ABS. You might find short pieces of pipe at Lowe’s or Home Depot so you don’t have to buy 10’.

You may have to square up that stub coming out of the tank and clean that white stuff off before gluing. You don’t have a lot of room to work the fittings in.

I’m not sure how the pipe is glued into the tank or the best way to replace it.

Hopefully someone with a little more experience can give you a little more guidance.

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 04:10 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply.
In the bottom picture, the o ring end is up into the black tank. It was secured with a hose clamp. The other picture shows the part removed after I took it out..

The valve was already removed. The end plate of the valve was cracked also and I ordered a new end plate and have a new abs elbow to reinstall..

I have in the mean while removed the cutoff pipe, (with the white FlexSeal on it that was used to tempoarily seal the leak while on the road) so I do not need to find a new piece anymore.

I would like to know what that flexible black sealant is on that pipe connection into the black tank so I can reinstall it. It seems like plumbers putty but it is black and a lot stickier.
Old 07-07-2018, 04:25 PM   #4

"It seems like plumbers putty but it is black and a lot stickier."

It is a lot sticker and a mess to work with around here it is referred as "elephant snot" or "black plumbers buddy" and you can get it at Lowes or HD. You find it in a can, make sure to wear a pair of rubber gloves, it will stick to them but not as bad as the black on your hands. Best to use a putty knife to spread. There are better things to use and everything can be gotten at Lowes or HD..
2014 F350 / 2015 CC 36 CKTS
Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 04:47 PM   #5
Site Team

It think this is the adapter.

Holding Tank 3" Hub Fitting

You'll need an o-ring for it.

The sealant is most likely 3M 5200 Marine Sealant.
Old 07-08-2018, 01:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
It think this is the adapter.

Holding Tank 3" Hub Fitting

You'll need an o-ring for it.

The sealant is most likely 3M 5200 Marine Sealant.
5200 if used is designed to NEVER be removed. 4200 is workable but the elephant snot is a better choice.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:58 PM   #7

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Is the black sealant soft? The part Bama Rambler pictured is the correct new part needed along with an o-ring. I question the need to glue the coupler although all the piping I have seen on rv's have been glued.. The tank will flex when traveling and as liquids rise and fall and I have seen similar applications used because of that. The yellow stuff is ABS glue. You should find a new coupler at most RV dealerships. If you go to a dealer ask to look at similar units to see if they are glued. Perhaps on line if you are not in a hurry.
Is this unit new to you are second owner? If second owner perhaps previous owner glued it. It appears white and ABS glue is yellow.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:31 PM   #8

Thanks

Thanks for all the answers. As I mentioned, the white stuff is Flex Seal rubber coating that someone suggested I use to stop the leak while on the road. It worked adequately to slow the leak til I got home to replace the pipe. The pipe cracked and was leaking due to not draining the black tank adequately when winterizing. I drained it and then moved it and it sloshed water from the black tank into the low point which was the elbow drain by the slide valve and cracked it over the winter. Was not aware of it til we started filling the black tank. I attached a picture of the road repair before I cut the pipe out.

All the pipes are glued together except the adapter into the black tank. That was held on with a hose clamp and sealed with the o ring and the black flexible putty. The picture in the RV shows the adapter in place, slid into a plastic neck on the bottom of the black tank.] I did think the 3m 5200- 4200 sealant/adhesive was too strong to reattach the adapter because I would like to be able to remove it.

I looked at Amazon, Home Depot and Lowes and have not found any black colored plumbers putty that will stay flexible and not glue the pieces together. Can someone post a link to purchase?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pipe3.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	403.8 KB
ID:	178749  
Old 07-08-2018, 04:59 PM   #9

Google "Elephant Snot".... It aint purty.....
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSman View Post
Thanks for all the answers. As I mentioned, the white stuff is Flex Seal rubber coating that someone suggested I use to stop the leak while on the road. It worked adequately to slow the leak til I got home to replace the pipe. The pipe cracked and was leaking due to not draining the black tank adequately when winterizing. I drained it and then moved it and it sloshed water from the black tank into the low point which was the elbow drain by the slide valve and cracked it over the winter. Was not aware of it til we started filling the black tank. I attached a picture of the road repair before I cut the pipe out.

All the pipes are glued together except the adapter into the black tank. That was held on with a hose clamp and sealed with the o ring and the black flexible putty. The picture in the RV shows the adapter in place, slid into a plastic neck on the bottom of the black tank.] I did think the 3m 5200- 4200 sealant/adhesive was too strong to reattach the adapter because I would like to be able to remove it.

I looked at Amazon, Home Depot and Lowes and have not found any black colored plumbers putty that will stay flexible and not glue the pieces together. Can someone post a link to purchase?
Nice work!
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:51 AM   #11

Use plastic roofing cement.

Bruce
Old 07-09-2018, 07:13 AM   #12

This may not be the exact material, but should serve your need.
HERCULES-All Purpose Sealant

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:23 AM   #13
RVdoctor

We use but Butyl Sealant in a tube when installing holding tank fittings. Available at hardware stores. Make sure you coat the entire part of the fitting that slips in.
rvdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:49 AM   #14

I find that going to a plumbing supply store gives a much better selection of plumbing supplies than any of the box stores. If they don't have it it probably doesn't exist...
Old 07-09-2018, 05:07 PM   #15

Thanks all!!

Thanks to everyone who contributed. I finished replacing the ABS elbow. A lot more work than I thought it should be. I ended up not using any additional black sealant since there was still some on the fitting and just doubled up on the hose clamps holding it. So far, no leaks.

Tags
black, black tank, repair, tank