Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2013, 08:37 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
My point is that we ARE (mostly)getting what we paid for.
I paid over 40k for this unit and I have more miles back and forth from the dealer them I have used it this summer. trying to get the factory to fix my brake problem now. wish I never bought this trailer

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:45 AM   #42
Grape Escape

Don't you love the Rv manufacturers' adds about the skillful Indiana craftsmen that build these boxes. They should stick to building cabinets and nothing more. Too many complaints with RV's. Perhaps China will see an opportunity as they ship everything else across the world. It's the only way to get homegrown companies to pull up their socks
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:36 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Don't you love the Rv manufacturers' adds about the skillful Indiana craftsmen that build these boxes. They should stick to building cabinets and nothing more. Too many complaints with RV's. Perhaps China will see an opportunity as they ship everything else across the world. It's the only way to get homegrown companies to pull up their socks
RIGHT ON!!!!! quality is absent, it is just a # to the plant manager on how many is push out the door...

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
Old 10-28-2013, 07:40 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
I paid over 40k for this unit and I have more miles back and forth from the dealer them I have used it this summer. trying to get the factory to fix my brake problem now. wish I never bought this trailer
Maybe trade it in on a Palomino Puma? Mine and my in-laws have been great. And it's half the money. You might need to run a bead of caulk here and there. And I had to rewire two of my speakers that were on the wrong channel. But nothing requiring a trip to the dealer.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:42 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Perhaps China will see an opportunity as they ship everything else across the world. It's the only way to get homegrown companies to pull up their socks
Last time I checked, no one is in a race to match China's quality. Most things coming from there are either crap or full of toxic chemicals. I wouldn't take a Chinese camper if it was given to me. I think maybe you are thinking of Japan and Korea, as in the effect they had on the auto industry?
Old 10-28-2013, 10:02 AM   #46

Quote:
Maybe trade it in on a Palomino Puma? Mine and my in-laws have been great. And it's half the money. You might need to run a bead of caulk here and there. And I had to rewire two of my speakers that were on the wrong channel. But nothing requiring a trip to the dealer.
if they made a unit with the room we wanted then i would of looked into it, but they don`t, we wanted a specific floor plan, and their were many out their but non like ours. I also do not want aluminum siding

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
Old 10-28-2013, 10:18 AM   #47
DDC

Quote:
Last time I checked, no one is in a race to match China's quality. Most things coming from there are either crap or full of toxic chemicals. I wouldn't take a Chinese camper if it was given to me. I think maybe you are thinking of Japan and Korea, as in the effect they had on the auto industry?
I think his point was that they have reached the same quality level in Indiana that is presently being shipped from the multinational companies that moved their products from here to China, the question now is how low can they go before you stop buying a product that needs repaired right out of the factory, I was never fond of buying toys at Christmas time that said "some assembly required" why would I want a multi-thousand dollar trailer like that.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:09 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
I think his point was that they have reached the same quality level in Indiana that is presently being shipped from the multinational companies that moved their products from here to China, the question now is how low can they go before you stop buying a product that needs repaired right out of the factory, I was never fond of buying toys at Christmas time that said "some assembly required" why would I want a multi-thousand dollar trailer like that.
I read it as, if China would get in the market, US producers would have to step up to the plate and produce quality goods. Sometimes hard to get exact intent with written word.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:12 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
if they made a unit with the room we wanted then i would of looked into it, but they don`t, we wanted a specific floor plan, and their were many out their but non like ours. I also do not want aluminum siding
I understand completely about wanting a specific floorplan. We were quite picky about certain things as well, but there were many models offered that fit our criteria. I personally like the aluminum siding and the fiberglass models. There are many pros and cons to each- the cons of fiberglass just tend to be very expensive ones.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:14 PM   #50
Grape Escape

Quote:
I read it as, if China would get in the market, US producers would have to step up to the plate and produce quality goods. Sometimes hard to get exact intent with written word.
Correction I should have compaired quality to Japanese or Korean built cars. But then again many quality items are coming out of China and many other Asian countries.
I think the RV industry needs what the Japanese manufacturers did to the auto industry. In short wake them up.
Can't believe the couch I'm sitting on was made in China as well as our superb quality bedroom set.
We are capable of building quality items in North America which is proven by all the foreign manufacturers setting up factories here.

Right now I could not imagine buying any RV and not being mechanically inclined. All 4 of the units we have had needed my intervention to make repairs otherwise it would have meant numerous trips back to the dealer
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:14 PM   #51

China has a lot of good stuff these days. But they have tons of garbage as well. Simply depends on what the manufacturer wants from them. If we have stuff manufactured over there iT is usually good stuff. If it is a Chinese comapany making their own stuff it is usually junk. Dixie cup can make as cheap or as great a paper cup as they wish. They build to specs of the customers. The Chinese do to and for 1/5 the cost.
A&P
jack of all trades master of one...LOL
https://imageshack.us/a/img32/3111/ypy.JPG
wilem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:29 PM   #52
Travelers 500,000+

We had several issues with our TT last year. We dealt with the major problems with the dealer we bought it from. The said it was prepped. Asked three time was the bypass off, yup! Nope burnt the water heater the weekend we picked it up, it got replaced, under their warranty, but, it didn't make a difference down the line as the dealer didn't finish the prep and connect everything. When we took it in for winterization, we took it to a different dealer.

Totally different attitude at the new dealer. They listened to us! Fixed all the warranty issues including replacing three huge windows that the other dealer said, oh, you women, don't know how to close a window. Nope they were bad and Forrest River replaced them free.

Just cause you purchased you TT at one dealer doesn't mean you have to continue to have them service it. We love the new dealers service center!
Michigan Campers/Travelers
Days camped in 2015 145
Murmaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:18 AM   #53

It is good to see someone get some relief. I imagine at some point I will have to be forced to go to a dealer and when I do if they suck I'll move on down the line. About 4 in an 80 mile radius...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmaids View Post
We had several issues with our TT last year. We dealt with the major problems with the dealer we bought it from. The said it was prepped. Asked three time was the bypass off, yup! Nope burnt the water heater the weekend we picked it up, it got replaced, under their warranty, but, it didn't make a difference down the line as the dealer didn't finish the prep and connect everything. When we took it in for winterization, we took it to a different dealer.

Totally different attitude at the new dealer. They listened to us! Fixed all the warranty issues including replacing three huge windows that the other dealer said, oh, you women, don't know how to close a window. Nope they were bad and Forrest River replaced them free.

Just cause you purchased you TT at one dealer doesn't mean you have to continue to have them service it. We love the new dealers service center!
A&P
jack of all trades master of one...LOL
https://imageshack.us/a/img32/3111/ypy.JPG
wilem is offline   Reply With Quote