Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2020, 09:03 PM   #1

Plumbing issue

So this weekend while I was winterizing my camper I noticed a leak. Come to find on a recent hunting trip the previous weekend I'm guessing my dutch oven hit the pvc piping from my sink drains. I'm including a picture of the break. Does anybody have any experience changing this section of pipe? I'm some what experienced with pvc, and feel confident enough to fix it I'm just trying to plan my attack. I'm guessing it would be best to try and drop the greg tank if possible because I don't feel there's enough room or space to fix it from where it is. And honestly it's not a big issue because the only time those pipes are in use is when I winterize and de-winterize the camper. We never use our sinks for anything else, but I don't wanna have to hold it together everytime I send the water or antifreeze down the drain. Ohh and it's both pipes the top and side.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201027_195313.jpeg
Views:	100
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	242081
Bedlinedf250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 09:31 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

If you never use the sinks, put a Fernco coupler on it and forget about it.

If you never use the sinks why would it matter if it's broken and why would you be needing to add more antifreeze? I don't understand?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 09:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post

If you never use the sinks why would it matter if it's broken and why would you be needing to add more antifreeze? I don't understand?

X2
Ron.danahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:19 PM   #4

I run antifreeze to keep the water lines good. For resale when I decide to get a new one. Besides just because I own it and don't use the sinks doesn't mean I can't take care of what I have. I work very hard for my money and I and take excellent care of the things I purchase. Just because I don't use the sinks doesn't mean I can't keep them in working order.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedlinedf250 View Post
I'm guessing it would be best to try and drop the greg tank if possible because I don't feel there's enough room or space to fix it from where it is. And honestly it's not a big issue because the only time those pipes are in use is when I winterize and de-winterize the camper. ]
I can't exactly see what the damage is, but dropping the grey tank to repair it seems excessive, plus it might not help you much.
Is it possible to cut off the pipes above the damage then replicate the damaged parts with parts from your local hardware store and then glue the attachments in place?
Are those parts actually broken or have they just come apart? We found some of the plumbing in our rig came detached because they didn't use enough glue to keep the parts from separating.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
I can't exactly see what the damage is, but dropping the grey tank to repair it seems excessive, plus it might not help you much.
Is it possible to cut off the pipes above the damage then replicate the damaged parts with parts from your local hardware store and then glue the attachments in place?
Are those parts actually broken or have they just come apart? We found some of the plumbing in our rig came detached because they didn't use enough glue to keep the parts from separating.
If you zoom in on the picture you can see the break above my thumb and another one straight in front of my thumb( the direction my thumb is pointing)
Old 10-28-2020, 12:14 AM   #7

Plumbing repair tape can seal both breaks without replacing anything and being silicone based won’t break if the dutch oven gets loose again.
It’s designed to work with pressurized pipes so no problem with gravity drains.
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 09:42 AM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedlinedf250 View Post
I run antifreeze to keep the water lines good. For resale when I decide to get a new one. Besides just because I own it and don't use the sinks doesn't mean I can't take care of what I have. I work very hard for my money and I and take excellent care of the things I purchase. Just because I don't use the sinks doesn't mean I can't keep them in working order.
I wasn't questioning your integrity of taking care of things.

I am confused at your statement(s)...
Quote:
it's not a big issue because the only time those pipes are in use is when I winterize and de-winterize the camper.
And then state you never use the sinks...
Quote:
We never use our sinks for anything else
But then say...
Quote:
I don't wanna have to hold it together everytime I send the water or antifreeze down the drain.
If you've already put antifreeze in and never use the sinks, why are you having to hold something together to put water/antifreeze through them?

Maybe you really ARE using the sinks and I just don't comprehend?

My advice still stands... put on a couple Fernco couplers or fix it however you choose.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 10:47 AM   #9
Site Team

I for one would go ahead and repair it correctly. It's a little more work, but then you don't have to fool with it in the future. Since that fitting appears to be a tee, you could possibly use a 1½" or 2" Fernco tee to replace it. A 2" may fit over the hubs of the existing tee so you don't have to cut both tees out.
Old 10-28-2020, 11:25 AM   #10

you can buy black tank glue at rv dealer . just swab on . you will never see the repair. . you can put a strip of fiberglass mat first if you want to
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 11:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post

So glad you spelled that correctly! Youroo spell check would have kicked in. OK, enough comedy....Fernco products are great!! Their flexibility make for easy install in a repair situation.
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plumbing