Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2013, 11:47 PM   #1

Plumbing question...curious

Here is something I have been wondering about..... A couple of weeks ago I had to change out my freshwater pump. As I am working on that I get to thinking....You have the pump that pumps water from the FW tank to the filter system and out to the camper faucets.....
Right after the pump is a "Y" where the water comes in from the "city water" hook-up.
Here's my question....when you pump water from the fresh water tank out to the camper, why does water not flow out of the city water line? Seems like a path that it would take. Hope this isn't too confusing.
Just a curiousity deal...
BradW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:16 AM   #2

I do not know what unit you have. All units are plumbed differently. The only thing that would be the same is your model compared to other models. By your scenario that you posted I would have to say that you probably have a check valve in each "Y". If you didn't then when you are connected to city water, you would also fill the FW tank . But this is just a pure guess on my part.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:58 AM   #3

GL,
you're absolutely right, there is a check valve on my freshwater pump as is the case with all of them, which stops water from entering the freshwater tank when you are connected to city water, BUT......I know there is no check valve on the "T" that leads out to the citywater hook-up from the freshwater pump. That's the part that baffles me. Why would water not run toward the citywater hook-up when running my pump.
There is only one reason or possibility that may be the answer, but it is only a guess. I'm thinking that as water is pumped from the fresh water tank out to faucets,,,,,, that as it passes the "T" where water would come in from the city water,,,,,there is a siphoning type thing going on where airflow from the city line stops water from running out that line. Hope any of this makes just a little sense???????
BradW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:10 AM   #4

There is a check valve at the city water hookup as well.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradW View Post
Here is something I have been wondering about..... A couple of weeks ago I had to change out my freshwater pump. As I am working on that I get to thinking....You have the pump that pumps water from the FW tank to the filter system and out to the camper faucets.....
Right after the pump is a "Y" where the water comes in from the "city water" hook-up.
Here's my question....when you pump water from the fresh water tank out to the camper, why does water not flow out of the city water line? Seems like a path that it would take. Hope this isn't too confusing.
Just a curiousity deal...
Brad,you should know about the F/W check valve. When you winterize your system,that is part of the procedure. If you use your R/V pump for the RV A/Freeze,water can get trapped between pump and C/W inlet! The inlet valve will normally let you know in the spring after it has broken from the freeze! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:35 AM   #6

When winterizing I always start by useing a blowout hose to purge all the water from system. Then use the pump to pump in the RV antifreeze.

Blow Out Hose - Intersource D16-252 - Winterizing - Camping World
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plumbing