RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 08-26-2020, 05:09 AM   #1

Pressure from holding tank, buckled floor

First time in this camper. Filled fresh tank for dry camping, noticed that there was a red rubber hose by low point of fresh tank that had water coming out of it, after filling the fresh tank. Was worried previous owner had cut off a valve from it so I plugged it. So that night couldn't use water anyway because the toilet valve had a leak. I assumed it had frozen in the past so replaced it. Done that on several occasions of other campers. Noticed that the water pump kept cycling so turned it off. 2nd night of camping full city hookup. Hooked up city water, replaced toilet valve, all good, go to sleep. In night hear noises in kitchen, investigate and whole floor is pushing up and counters are tilting due to fresh tank having so much pressure. Remove plug from red rubber hose and cap from tank and drain all. Also open fill cap on fresh tank and water was spraying out. Guessing the fresh tank check valve is the problem? Is it included in the pump or separate? What do I need to order install? Can't believe it didn't blue up crack the tank! The angle iron braces under neath are now bowed. Took an hour at 2:30am. What a night! 2017 wolfpack 315pack12
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200826_020903233_HDR.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	367.0 KB
ID:	237647   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200826_020911022_HDR.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	225.9 KB
ID:	237648   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200826_024440160.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	237649  
bigboyga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 06:16 AM   #2

One issue is the water tank overflow must be plugged to overfill. (May have been the red line you plugged). Also the 2nd issue, the check valve on the water pump must be leaking by to fill the tank in the first place, to fill the tank while on city water. Common issue.

There are many threads that address these issues but I am sure some will be along to help.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:22 AM   #3
Head Rambler

The check valve that stops the city water from backing into the fresh water tank is located inside the pump head.

A lot of people just add an external check valve at the pump instead of repairing the internal check valve. There's some discussions about whether to add it on the discharge or suction of the pump. I add them to the suction so the pump doesn't run on and off due the the pressure in the pump head where the pressure switch is located bleeding off.

Tags
floor, led, pressure, tank