Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2012, 05:52 PM   #1

Pressure regulators

I have an external filter that I place between the spigot and the trailer. The past thing in the system is a pressure regulator... cost about 13 bucks.

My dealer says I need one with an adjustable feature and a guage, to the tune of about 85 bucks. He says the cheap ones can get sand in them and no longer regulate the pressure... and I could end up with popped pipes and fixtures... and the sky is falling... and... Another dealer that sells lots of parts, tells me that he stopped taking peoples money for the expensive ones because they can fail in the same way, just as easily. He said they usually just stop passing water... ie. get plugged up.

In a past life I was an aircraft mechanic and a glider pilot. The aviation industry and most pilots I know preach one thing... Redundancy! So, I decided to use the following scenario. I'll use a cheap regulator at the spigot, then the hose, then the filter, then another regulator at the trailer entrance port. That way, BOTH regulators would have to fail for the pressure in the trailer to get dangerously high.

To qualify that diatribe, I'm a relative nooby to RVing. I've been out only 3 times... each for about a week... but I still have a lot to learn. Those of you that are more experienced... please chime in and tell me if this theory is flawed in some way.

Thanks in advance...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:44 PM   #2

Regulator

Hi,

1 regulator could fail one time out and how would you know it? Without testing after everytime out, the only way to tell would be after the second failed and you blew the lines. Personally, I only run one and have fun camping.
terry.e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:14 PM   #3
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.e View Post
Hi,

1 regulator could fail one time out and how would you know it? Without testing after everytime out, the only way to tell would be after the second failed and you blew the lines. Personally, I only run one and have fun camping.
I keep reading about these water pressure regulators and personally I have what has been called a "cheap" one.

I just test CG water pressure before connecting the hose by simply turning the CG water spigot on - if it comes out at what I would consider a high pressure then I turn the spigot handle in until the pressure is what I call acceptable.

Might make a puddle at the post but so be it.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:54 PM   #4

i would use one reg and forget abt it.

if ur really concerned, put a filter between the reg and campground to keep debree out.

i've never encountered a problem with one reg. i'm still trying to figure out what the weak link is in the trailer plumbing. i wouldn't think the plex piping would burst before some of the campground plumbing would go.

the older trailers had a thin tubing in them and it was held together with clamps. i've seen one of those separate but they don't use that in trailers anymore.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:41 AM   #5

Hi, a few things to think about. You have 2 things to look at. 1 water flow, 2 water pressure. Turning the spigot down will adjust the flow (volume) of water going to your rig when water is flowing. But when you shout off the water use in the rig, pressure will build to CG pressure over a short time. The regulator will reduce the pressure and flow till the camper side of the regulator backpressure falls below set point (>40 psi) then open, till it see’s backpressure, then close down to regulate pressure. Causing reduce flow. Dirt causing a repeatable problem is low. The bigger problem is installing it on a spigot that has a regulator on it already, puncturing the screen letting dirt pass through to cause problems. So put the regulator at the spigot, use what you have, have fun. Standard regulators less than 40 psi, Hi flow 50-55 psi.
Traveling Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:43 AM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
I have tried the unregulated-------

I have tried the unregulated water pressure regulators. To my opinion they reduce the water too much. I have two unregulated devices that I will give away.

I purchased a adjustable regulated device with a gage, to set it properly you have to have the water running in the camper, adjust it to 50 PSI.

I always use it between the external filter and hose.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:36 PM   #7

I always put my regulator on the spigot, then the hose goes to the trailer. I used a quick connect at the trailer connection on my last trailer. I always had problems with the connection leaking. The city water connection on the trailer was replaced and the service tech said it may have been damaged by the pressure from the quick connect. Has anyone else experienced the same problem? How much increase in pressure would the quick connect cause because of the narrowing where the two pieces of the quick connect meet? I really like the convience but do not want to damage my new trailer. Any advise would be helpful.
Herms1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
I have an external filter that I place between the spigot and the trailer. The past thing in the system is a pressure regulator... cost about 13 bucks.

My dealer says I need one with an adjustable feature and a guage, to the tune of about 85 bucks. He says the cheap ones can get sand in them and no longer regulate the pressure... and I could end up with popped pipes and fixtures... and the sky is falling... and... Another dealer that sells lots of parts, tells me that he stopped taking peoples money for the expensive ones because they can fail in the same way, just as easily. He said they usually just stop passing water... ie. get plugged up.

In a past life I was an aircraft mechanic and a glider pilot. The aviation industry and most pilots I know preach one thing... Redundancy! So, I decided to use the following scenario. I'll use a cheap regulator at the spigot, then the hose, then the filter, then another regulator at the trailer entrance port. That way, BOTH regulators would have to fail for the pressure in the trailer to get dangerously high.

To qualify that diatribe, I'm a relative nooby to RVing. I've been out only 3 times... each for about a week... but I still have a lot to learn. Those of you that are more experienced... please chime in and tell me if this theory is flawed in some way.

Thanks in advance...

We use the so called cheap regulator (always carry extra new one, just in case). Put it on spigot turn it on to check pressure, see how it comes out, hook up hose and forget about it unless there seems to be a problem, in 8+ years only had one fail. Usually we replace them every couple of years.
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
Dennis and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:13 PM   #9

I have a gage that screws on to faucet. If campground pressure is 60 or lower I don't use a regulator. Been doing it for years and no problem yet. Gage is available at the local home depot.
bill and theresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #10

Faulty hose

I use an adjustable regulator with a gauge, I connect it at the pedestal. The last time out I had it set for 40 psi and and my hose sprung a leak. Go figure.
2011 Flagstaff 8528RLWS 5th Wheel
Reese Sidewinder Hitch 2002 Road Star Warrior
SouthWest Florida FROG
Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote