Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2019, 02:10 PM   #1

pressure switch

I am guessing that I need to replace the pressure switch on my 2018 FR Cherokee 274RK. I have trouble shot everything I can think of:
Water in the tank 3/4 - check, run air out of system by opening all facets at the same time - check, pressure to push water and all facets working- check, close all facets - check. Pump keeps pumping and will not shut off. Really not much of a problem as we have city water most everywhere we go. It's just something that needs to be fixed. Thanks for any help here!
Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:10 PM   #2

When a pump is not shutting off the first thing I think of is that water may be going somewhere. Also if screen filter is blocked may do that.
quick83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 11:03 AM   #3

pressure switch

When all facets are closed, the pump still runs. Water is not coming out anywhere else so there is not a leak in the system. Screen Filter? Where is that?
Old 05-26-2019, 11:33 AM   #4

pressure switch

It is on the pump. On my sure flo 6 year old Rv there is a little cup on the underside of the pump that unscrews and there is a screen inside the cup that comes out. If you have an Rv a few years old and it has never been cleaned it may be clogged up. It would prob be clogged up pretty good. Also mine just gets air in the pump sometimes and will not prime.
Old 05-26-2019, 11:37 AM   #5

pressure switch

I just read your org post again. Also. Just open one faucet when trying to prime. All of them open may be to much for pump.
Old 05-26-2019, 01:17 PM   #6

Newer water pumps incorporate a bypass design. If the pressure switch is improperly adjusted the pump won't shut off.

If it's a Shur Flo 4008 pump here's the pertinent information on the bypass adjustment from the manual.

Quote:
About The By-Pass NOTE: By-pass adjustment should be performed by professional technicians with proper
gauges and equipment.
The by-pass is a spring loaded diaphragm that opens up allowing water from the discharge side back to the inlet side.
The by-pass is set to begin opening at about 40 psi and creating full by-pass at about 62 psi (for 55 psi models), lower
pressure pumps will vary depending on the by-pass and pressure switch settings. If the switch or by -pass are adjusted too
much, the by-pass and switch shut-off can overlap and THE PUMP WILL NOT SHUT OFF. Screwing the switch screw in
clockwise will raise the shut-off pressure. Unscrewing the switch screw counterclockwise will lower the pump shut-off pressure. Screwing the by-pass screw in will raise the pressure at which the by-pass starts and raise the full by-pass pressure.
Unscrewing the by-pass screw counterclockwise will lower the pressure at which by-pass starts and lower the full by-pass
pressure. WARNING: If full by-pass is reached before the shut-off setting, the pump will not shut off. Full by-pass
pressure setting should be at least 5 psi higher than pump shut off pressure.
Also, be sure the check valve isn't held open by foreign material. Could be as simple as a piece of teflon pipe tape that made it's way through the system.

Here's the full manual:

https://www.northerntool.com/images/...uals/32389.pdf

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:09 PM   #7

Thanks so very much for all replies. I will check this out as soon as I get home. It's not a problem right now because I am on city water.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:15 PM   #8

Couple other thoughts... any chance the pump is pulling air. If your unit is similar to mine. Put in winterize and pull water from a bucket. Does this fix it? Then prolly pulling air. Any change the pump inlet/tank water strainer is stopped up? might cause cavitation or lack of flow and non-pressurizing situation. Cheap checks.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure, switch