Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2021, 11:05 AM   #1

Prevent toilet freeze

Is there a safety net to solve the water inlet valve to the Aqua Magic toilet from freezing? Ours had a crack in it caused by freeze earlier this year. We are seasoned TT owners, this is our first fifth wheel and first issue with anything freezing. We blow lines and put in antifreeze, also use a small electric heater when temps require it, Which isn't often in our central Texas location. Rolling blackouts took the electric heater out of service this year. My question is for future situations like this. I have read that the inlet valve has an issue with freezing due to it's design. I think in our fifth wheel that the placement of toilet which is in a small closet by itself and located over the basement storage bin ads to freezing possibilities. Thanks for any suggestions. This is our assembly type.
Red Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 03:04 PM   #2
Trailer Park Supervisor

I'm lucky enough to have a Dometic with a flush valve that does just fine with a compressed air line blowout. But you are using line blowout AND antifreeze, my only guess is that you didn't let enough antifreeze through line/flush valve to displace any water trapped in it. I would simply make sure you flush it enough that the water trapped in it is displaced by antifreeze. Maybe you saw the pink stuff coming through when you flushed, but it was dilute, and not enough.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 09:49 PM   #3

When blowing out water lines to winterize it's important to blow them out completely.

Take into consideration how landscape sprinklers are blown out for winter. They let air blow long enough all of the "fog" stops coming out of the sprinkler heads. This insures there is no water left to settle back in the lines.

Same in an RV. Basically, when you think you're done, repeat procecc to be sure, especially with the toilet.

Then to be sure add antifreeze as NJKris said.

Since it isn't usually real cold here I blow out, no antifreeze. I like to "cold weather camp" so it's just add water and go when occasion arises.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 10:11 PM   #4
Scoundrel

Some of these flush valves have a small bowl that harbors water. When I flush with antifreeze, as Kris mentioned above, I hold the pedal down for an extra 5 or more seconds to get all of that out of there.

That arctic freeze event that plunged south through Texas was pretty unusual. Hopefully you won't have to deal with that again. Hopefully...

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent