Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2017, 07:34 AM   #1

Priming the water pump

While trying to winterize after our trip, the pump runs continuously when turned on. No pink stuff is being drawn in. I was advised to prime the pump but do not know how. Can someone give me some advice please ?
The Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:37 AM   #2
bigdaddy1

Normally I just open a faucet and give it some time and it should start coming through.

2019 3350RLX
bigdaddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:43 AM   #3
Who Dares, Wins

Yep no priming. If it is not sucking after a bit of running you have an air lead keeping it from priming.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:44 AM   #4
Who Dares, Wins

Or the pump is damaged (the pumping part

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:50 AM   #5
WFD

Silly question...but are you sure you turned the bypass valve so that it sucks antifreeze from the jug?
Old 03-23-2017, 08:10 AM   #6

My pump does not pick up very well when there is only a gallon or so in it. However, if I lower the front of the trailer a little, it will pick up just fine. I did that when I pumped the pink stuff through the pump.
Asrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:30 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrabbit View Post
My pump does not pick up very well when there is only a gallon or so in it. However, if I lower the front of the trailer a little, it will pick up just fine. I did that when I pumped the pink stuff through the pump.
Are you saying you put the pink stuff in your fresh water tank to pump it through your system?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:30 AM   #8
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Otters View Post
While trying to winterize after our trip, the pump runs continuously when turned on. No pink stuff is being drawn in. I was advised to prime the pump but do not know how. Can someone give me some advice please ?
I had this problem once. Opening the faucets did nothing. As it turns out the pump (SHURFLO Series), had gone into by-pass mode and wouldn't pump. With the help of a FR tech, he talked me through the problem over the phone. Go to your CW connection remove the cover, and stick your finger inside the inlet and push the check valve button, but stand off to the side or you may get a bath when the back pressure is released. Be careful that the check valve doesn't shoot out. Once the pressure is released the pump should start picking up the pink stuff from your container.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Are you pulling from the "Winterizing Port" or trying to use your F/W Tank"? If winterizing port have you Switched the valve from Tank to Winterizing? Is this on a "Georgetown"? If your suction is submerged in fluid No priming is required! Youroo!!
Old 03-23-2017, 08:54 AM   #10

Yes I put the pink stuff in my fresh water tank so that I could pump it through the pump. I know they make a kit I could install to pump it directly from the jug, but I do not have it and at the time I did not have time to get it before we had a string of days below freezing. I am not sure I see an issue with doing that other than I have to flush the tank, but I have to flush my lines anyway.

I normally just blow my lines out as we do not get that cold here. However, I had water in the pump and just wanted to get some anti freeze in there. Is there some other way I should have done it other than the kit to pick it up direct from the jug?
Asrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Yes I put the pink stuff in my fresh water tank so that I could pump it through the pump. I know they make a kit I could install to pump it directly from the jug, but I do not have it and at the time I did not have time to get it before we had a string of days below freezing. I am not sure I see an issue with doing that other than I have to flush the tank, but I have to flush my lines anyway.

I normally just blow my lines out as we do not get that cold here. However, I had water in the pump and just wanted to get some anti freeze in there. Is there some other way I should have done it other than the kit to pick it up direct from the jug?
The OP is Otters,where did you come from? Youroo!!
Old 03-23-2017, 09:09 AM   #12
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:

The issue (as you have found out) is that it can sometimes take many gallons of antifreeze to fill the fresh tank enough to where the antifreeze level gets high enough to reach the port on the tank where the suction line connects so the pump can pump it.

The suction port isn't always on the bottom of the tank or even always at the bottom on the side.

We have seen many, many reports of people thinking they have say a 50 gallon fresh water tank but can only get 45 gallons out of it. That's because the suction port is high enough it leaves 5 gallons in the tank that the pump can't evacuate.

It also means when you go to flush your tank of antifreeze, it will take many, many flushes to get out the remaining antifreeze that the pump can't evacuate either.

it is ALWAYS better to use some sort of bypass to add antifreeze than to add it to your fresh water tank.

EDIT:
This reply was to Asrabbit. The original poster, Otters question has gotten sidetracked by someone jumping in on the thread. Sorry to derail further by answering.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:09 AM   #13
Sunseeker 3010DS

sounds like you don't have enough fluid in your tank to pick up a prime. You will need to add more fluid of get your rig in a position that the fluid is above the suction of the pump.
slamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:17 AM   #14

I should have been more specific.
It is a 2014 Georgetown 378
It does have the bypass lever and a tube dedicated for winterizing. I have turned the lever in both directions to be sure.
The pump runs continually when the switch is turned on.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:27 AM   #15

It really does sound like either an air lock in which case I'd open all my faucets, make sure the winterizing valves are correct, and do the pressure relief maneuver described above if necessary. Then see if it will draw from a container. If those don't work you may have an air leak on the suction side or a problem internal to the pump would be my experience.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:28 AM   #16
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
I should have been more specific.
It is a 2014 Georgetown 378
It does have the bypass lever and a tube dedicated for winterizing. I have turned the lever in both directions to be sure.
The pump runs continually when the switch is turned on.
Turn the lever to the winterizing position. Connect a hose to the port and put the other end in the antifreeze jug. The shorter the hose the better. Any loose connections that would suck air will keep the pump from priming. Some rigs I've owned I had to hold the jug higher or pour a little antifreeze into the hose and hold it high so it would trickle down into the pump to get it to prime.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:28 AM   #17

Your issue is on the Suction side,either the switching valve is bad or you have a vacuum leak! You stated that your pump worked on your trip,so it being a issue is low! Youroo!!
Old 03-23-2017, 02:49 PM   #18
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Just a side note. Is the water heater in by-pass?
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:48 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by donanddona View Post
Just a side note. Is the water heater in by-pass?
Yes, I have the water heater in bypass.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:51 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Your issue is on the Suction side,either the switching valve is bad or you have a vacuum leak! You stated that your pump worked on your trip,so it being a issue is low! Youroo!!
The pump runs when switched on. Which I did when attempting to winterize.
I have never used the pump to transfer water from the holding tank.
We have only been on city water.

Tags
pump, water, water pump