Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2016, 08:11 PM   #1

Problem Winterizing Black Tank Flush Line

This was the first time that I winterized. Everything seemed to go well, but when I tried to pump AF into the black flush line using a hand pump, the fitted connection leaked some and I'm not sure if any AF got through the line. I then used a bicycle pump and pumped air into it (with a blow-out plug) so hopefully it blew any water out. Does this seem adequate or do I need to use a compressor or get a better pump to be sure I get AF into the line?

Thanks
sowbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 08:36 PM   #2

The flush line is open on both ends from the elevated vacuum breaker. There is no water left in the lines after use (well maybe some droplets). One side drains into the tank and the other drains back out the input port. Does not need winterizing.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 08:53 PM   #3

Sowbug, no 2 RVS are plumbed the same unless you know 100% that there is No Water in the "Nozzle at the tank ",Winterize with A/F and sleep well! Youroo! !
Old 11-18-2016, 09:01 PM   #4

When I winterized my rv I did blow the rinse flush line with air and there was water into it!
Polariste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 09:52 PM   #5

Would a bicycle pump be ok to blow it out? That's what I used since I couldn't seem to get AF into the line with my hand pump.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:55 PM   #6

I did not use antifreeze in this line because I blow it long enough to make sure that there was no water left in the hose.
Polariste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 09:48 AM   #7

I have an outside shower and the last thing I do when winterizing is connect the shower hose to the black tank flush and pump antifreeze through it. I have some left over so why not.
djeirlessr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 12:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by djeirlessr View Post
I have an outside shower and the last thing I do when winterizing is connect the shower hose to the black tank flush and pump antifreeze through it. I have some left over so why not.

Yup I made an adaptor to do the same thing. Is it necessary I don't know nor do I care as up here in the -30 to -40 winter I don't need to worry.
Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 03:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
The flush line is open on both ends from the elevated vacuum breaker. There is no water left in the lines after use (well maybe some droplets). One side drains into the tank and the other drains back out the input port. Does not need winterizing.
X2 no need
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 04:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowbug View Post
Would a bicycle pump be ok to blow it out? That's what I used since I couldn't seem to get AF into the line with my hand pump.

That's what I did just three hours ago.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 04:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
That's what I did just three hours ago.
I also use a bicycle pump.
Old 11-19-2016, 06:47 PM   #12
padcarroll

X3, no need to worry.
I had a special connection made for blowing out the rv water lines with air. I have a diesel pusher so I have an onboard compressor. The local hardware store helped me put together 3 pieces of plumbing hardware. It is a plastic male to female 1/2" pipe fitting and a male 1/2" to female 1/4" pipe adaptor and finally a male 1/4" air chuck. I thread this onto the water in connection using an air regulator set at 40 psi. I can then go into the rv and open each valve to blow out all water.

Dave and Pam Carroll
Callie - 9 yo chihuahua/yorky mix
2014 Legacy SR300 340BH
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Full-timing since January 2016
padcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 07:54 PM   #13

Thanks everybody. Looks like I will be fine. I did go back today and put some pipe tape around my fitting and definitely got AF to flow into the flush line. So, I actually used a bicycle pump to push out the water and got AF into the line afterwards.
Old 11-19-2016, 08:19 PM   #14

It seems that it would be a lot of pumping and work using a bicycle pump. I would use a small air compressor and pump at about 30 lbs to get enough volume to blow out the air of the water lines. But for the black water clean out line, I would not worry about it.
Most of the water input to the black water clean out line is higher than the black tank and gravity would drain this line. Only a few droplets of water would be left in the line.
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, black tank flush, tank, winter