Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2008, 06:19 PM   #1

Problems with water system in Sandpiper 302BHD

I was winterizing the water system today using RV antifreeze and could not figure out why the system would not pressurize. Before turning on the pump I dumped about 6 gallons of RV antifreeze into the fresh water tank (water pump did not have a bypass tube or I would of used that to save antifreeze) I then turned on the water pump and crossed my fingers. I watched as antifreeze filled the chamber where the water filter was and noticed that the system was not pressuring at all. The pump ran for about 2 minutes. Maybe 3. Hope I did not damage it. I checked all faucets inside and then walked outside to make sure the outside shower was turned off and seen that antifreeze was coming out where the city water connection hooks up.

This is not normal I'm sure I realize that the same would happen if water was in the fresh water tank. I read the manual before doing this and thought I had done everything right . Perhaps Forest River made a mistaken when putting the plumbing together.

Any thoughts? Maybe I missed something? Has anyone ever had this problem?
delphi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:24 PM   #2

I winterized mine just like you said you did and did not have any problem.Not sure but the city water inlet may have a check valve that is bad. I'am sure someone will be able to answer your question that knows before long.
cat1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:52 PM   #3

Check valve...ah that makes sense. Gosh I wish this company could get things right as far as quality. I'm beginning to think I bought a big piece of you know what. I also noticed that some of the pipes for the bathroom sink have small leaks. This is probably an easy fix by the dealer, but he is 6hrs away. I'm suspecting that this has been going on since day one, but didn't notice until I checked the water filter before winterizing today.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:35 PM   #4
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Check valves can be tricky. DO NOT PUSH IN ON IT WHEN THE SYSTEM IS PRESSURIZED. It will unseat, and leak. Let the pressure off the system, and take out the screen in the city water outlet. Wiggle it around to see if it will seat. Pressurize it and check. If not, you will have to take it apart and reset the o ring.

Here's how you do it;

Remove the outside water inlet panel that has the water connection etc. on it. Mine has enough slack in the lines that I could get it out enough to get the hose clamps off. Try and save the sticky tape around the perimeter of the panel, it helps keep the water out.

Next remove the screen on the city water inlet and unscrew the plastic fitting on the back of the brass valve itself.

Behind the screen is a little plastic pin with a retaining ring and a spring behind it. Set the whole thing down and press down on the plastic pin so the plastic retainer pops off, save the retainer and spring. Now you can remove the pin from the back. It looks kind of like a golf tee, the o-ring will probably still be inside the valve, remove it and it will slip back over the widest part of the pin in the little groove. It doesn't seat on there very tight.

That o-ring is the part that gets knocked loose when there is pressure from the trailer side of the valve. It's meant to only have pressure from the street side of the valve. Re-assembly is the same as taking it apart, insert the plastic pin part making sure the ring stays put and then put the spring back in the other side and snap the retainer back on.

Then hook up the plumbing, re-install the panel and caulk around it with silicone.

It's not very complicated, just keep track of the parts and how you take it apart

Here is a helpful guide with pics:
http://www.yakulis.org/CityWater-Checkvalve.pdf

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:52 PM   #5

Thanks for the info. I took the screen off and seen that the check valve was missing the rubber washer. The dealer is going to send me new parts and I'll install it myself. Thanks again for your help.