Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2021, 05:02 PM   #1
Steve from Maine

Proprietary FR Water filters.

Last summer I went to change my water filter. The housing looked like the usual whole house filters like you find at Home Depot and most hardware stores.
Then when I got the filter out and looked it up I found that it was an expensive Forest River only filter. I was insulted.

Within minutes I was off to Home Depot and changed the whole housing for less than the cost of one Forest River filter.
I now have a large choice of filters that I can purchase almost anywhere.
The $20 GE housing is very easy to get to so it was an easy job. I have been very happy with the change.
I can't believe the way Forest River tries to nickel and Dime you!!
Anybody else do the same?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200522_134909.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	473.4 KB
ID:	246768  
10CU.F GE dc only fridge
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2008 Yamaha WR250R
jaudet71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 05:10 PM   #2

I kind of like the FR filter which by the way now has aftermarket filters available for it. Amazon sells one made in S. Korea for a few bucks less.

The FR design absolutely prevents any bypass with it's two o-ring, "spigot" design.

Most will bypass if the filter body collapses which under certain conditions is definitely a possibility.

Also, the FR filter (design) uses a solid carbon block rather then granulated carbon. No channeling so all water is filtered.

I actually drink water from my tank and have done so with no issues.

I guess you could buy the filters from Forest river but I never have. Between resellers who buy them from the manufacturer (not Forest River) and aftermarket source, I can't see how FR is "nickel and diming" anyone.

Lastly, the FR filter is a 5 micron filter. Many replacements are only 50 microns which in the water filtration world are merely "screens".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 05:18 PM   #3
Steve from Maine

I just hate proprietary stuff. I was leaving shortly and had nowhere I could find to purchase near me.

But that is good to know and will hopefully help some other viewers.
Thanks Mike.
10CU.F GE dc only fridge
2008 Yamaha WR250R
Old 01-26-2021, 05:27 PM   #4

On any items that need to be replaced at a specified interval (annually is suggested for water filters) I always carry the next replacement with me and reorder immediately after installing it.

Even with a "generic" water filter there is always the risk that one is not readily available and with the current supply chain interruptions that could well be getting worse before it gets better.

Right now I have two replacement filters on hand and the one in the TT is fresh.

Old 01-26-2021, 05:59 PM   #5
Steve from Maine

I have about 25 various water filters of different microns, charcoal and RO membranes for my whole house filter and reverse osmosis filter that is just for drinking and ice maker. . Many came with the unit. Then they had a special for two more sets (10) for almost nothing. Then for doing a little video saying I liked it they sent me another set free. That is why I have a plethora of 5 20 30 charcoal and mineral to add flavor back. So I didn't want to purchase more. I would have though if they were cheap and nearby.
I can buy 6 pks of 5 micron on Amazon for $21.
10CU.F GE dc only fridge
2008 Yamaha WR250R
Old 01-26-2021, 06:19 PM   #6

Another option is to just remove the filter and housing completely and not worry about replacements
After spending years and $$$$ going down the RV freshwater filter rabbit hole, I just stopped and threw them all out. Much happier!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 07:18 PM   #7
Steve from Maine

For under $4 I like the idea of the filter due to the variety of water sources from all over the country.
In my last hometown in a municipality of 80,000 the water supply had a bout of mites in the water. That's when I got my first whole house water filter with a clear housing. I could actually see the mites swimming in the housing.
At first the water district dismissed the reports, but the proof was there. They were small enough to go through a screen but even a sediment filter would have stopped you from drinking them.
Filter for me please.
10CU.F GE dc only fridge
2008 Yamaha WR250R
Old 01-26-2021, 07:36 PM   #8
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaudet71 View Post
I just hate proprietary stuff. I was leaving shortly and had nowhere I could find to purchase near me.

But that is good to know and will hopefully help some other viewers.
Thanks Mike.

Oh yes, I loathe proprietary stuff. Most people don't know this when they buy the trailer that the advertised filtration will only work with overpriced replacement filter. But Forest River is far from the only company to be in bed with a certain vendor/supplier.

Most people will just shrug their shoulders and pay the price, same as those who buy Furrion camera systems because Forest River put a proprietary mount on the back of the trailer. Those of us who know better will come up with a work-around.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 02:49 PM   #9

I discovered a drawback to the polycarbonate clear filter housing. I used an insect spray in the cabinet area where the pump and filter are located and the filter housing cracked. I replaced it with a polypropylene housing which is more resistant to cracking.
2015 Flagstaff 21DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 03:20 PM   #10
Trailer Park Supervisor

Lots of insect sprays melt lots of plastics. You never want to get repellent like "OFF" on plastics.
Old 01-27-2021, 03:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I kind of like the FR filter which by the way now has aftermarket filters available for it. Amazon sells one made in S. Korea for a few bucks less.

The FR design absolutely prevents any bypass with it's two o-ring, "spigot" design.

Most will bypass if the filter body collapses which under certain conditions is definitely a possibility.

Also, the FR filter (design) uses a solid carbon block rather then granulated carbon. No channeling so all water is filtered.

I actually drink water from my tank and have done so with no issues.

I guess you could buy the filters from Forest river but I never have. Between resellers who buy them from the manufacturer (not Forest River) and aftermarket source, I can't see how FR is "nickel and diming" anyone.

Lastly, the FR filter is a 5 micron filter. Many replacements are only 50 microns which in the water filtration world are merely "screens".

I've kept my FR filter and usually buy replacement filters from DiscountFilters.Com I believe they are like $20 which I think is reasonable...I know there is alot of talk about how the housing can crack and the suggestion is just to remove it all together...Mine is the old design that is going on six years old now and I've never had any issues...I guess that could change at any time....But I'll take my chances....
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 03:41 PM   #12

Not to mention DEET

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Lots of insect sprays melt lots of plastics. You never want to get repellent like "OFF" on plastics.
Not to mention DEET. My late wife (or one of the GFs that succeeded her) left her fingerprints permanently etched into what was previously a rather nice set of plastic camping wine glasses.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 06:41 PM   #13
Trailer Park Supervisor

I have my fingerprints permanently etched on the formerly nice highly polished stock of my grandfather's deer rifle. Made the mistake of attempting to hunt while living in Florida. That was my 'discovery' this stuff melts stuff! Not to mention hunting in Florida is horrible, you spend more time swatting bugs and trying not to get bit by poisonous snakes than what you are supposed to be doing. Yeah, I know, veered off topic. THANKS LARRY! lol.
Old 01-27-2021, 06:51 PM   #14
NXR

Quote:
Last summer I went to change my water filter. The housing looked like the usual whole house filters like you find at Home Depot and most hardware stores.
Then when I got the filter out and looked it up I found that it was an expensive Forest River only filter. I was insulted.
I don't know what Forest River used five years ago but they've been using WaterPur filters for at least a few years. This is the one I have: https://waterpur.com/products/kw1-cartridge

Ray
Old 01-27-2021, 06:56 PM   #15

Could save a few bucks if you purchase on DiscountFilters.com
They send you coupons for free shipping and volume discounts

https://www.discountfilters.com/sedi...cs048/p187129/

DiscountFilters
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 46:2023 47:2024 7
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 10:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Oh yes, I loathe proprietary stuff. Most people don't know this when they buy the trailer that the advertised filtration will only work with overpriced replacement filter. But Forest River is far from the only company to be in bed with a certain vendor/supplier.

Most people will just shrug their shoulders and pay the price, same as those who buy Furrion camera systems because Forest River put a proprietary mount on the back of the trailer. Those of us who know better will come up with a work-around.
Everyone makes their own choices. For me one filter element per year (or longer if using trailer frequently) isn't a major expense.

Besides, my annual COLA from Social Security just about covers the expense[emoji1787]

Old 01-28-2021, 07:47 AM   #17
Steve from Maine

I can go to the Ace hardware 2 miles away now or Walmart or Home Depot.
Convenience is a big thing too. Under $4 at amazon when bought at as a six pack.
I spent over $4000 in batteries and didn't blink an eye, so it is not that I can't afford it.... but I have to see value. At the grocery store I skip the stupid expensive brands out of principal if there are cheaper alternatives.

I have to have justification as a matter of principal. I vote with my wallet.
10CU.F GE dc only fridge
2008 Yamaha WR250R
Old 01-28-2021, 08:55 AM   #18
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
I can go to the Ace hardware 2 miles away now or Walmart or Home Depot.
Convenience is a big thing too. Under $4 at amazon when bought at as a six pack.
I spent over $4000 in batteries and didn't blink an eye, so it is not that I can't afford it.... but I have to see value. At the grocery store I skip the stupid expensive brands out of principal if there are cheaper alternatives.

I have to have justification as a matter of principal. I vote with my wallet.
It is all about what EACH PERSON wants and are satisfied with whether it is water filters or food.

Just because the "Great Value" brand of ketchup is cheaper doesn't mean it tastes like Heinz. "Happy Farms" brand of processed cheese doesn't do justice to mac & cheese as does Velveeta and on and on.

Many times, other parts of me, outvote my wallet!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 09:43 AM   #19

Hanlon's Razor

Quote:
"Razor" is an old-fashioned word that for a decision-making rule.

Hanlon's Razor states "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

In the case of Forest River (or at least some of its divisions), this doesn't happen deliberately. It simply happens because no one is looking at the supply chain. A year or two ago there were a bunch of posts about flat-head screws being used on hard surfaces, overly long screws penetrating the far side surface, overly short screws pulling free, and wood screws being forced into tapped holes. In each case we eventually concluded that manufacturing had simply run out of the proper hardware and used what they had on hand.

We also learned that there were many cases where defective or failure-prone hardware was installed on many units. In some cases a formal recall was made. In others, no recall.

We concluded that:
  • Forest River has no common Supply Chain, Procurement Engineering, nor Component Quality and Reliability departments. Each division is left to fend for itself.
  • The purchasing departments in the divisions just buy what they are told. There's no evaluation done to see if the supplier has the ability to supply forecast quantities or scale up if needed. There's no life-testing of samples to see if the products are robust. There's probably no incoming inspection and test of every lot. (Think about the 12v refrigerators from the manufacturer whose name begins with "F".)
  • Did you ever wonder why the sales literature says something like "Components and appliances fitted in this unit are subject to change without notice."? That's a symptom of the lack of procurement engineering.
So what does this have to do with water filters? Easy! No one at procurement probably ever looked at the cost of replacement filters. They might have looked at the price of the assembly, but would have no visibility to the cost or availability of the filter alone. As long as their orders were delivered on time, nothing else mattered.

You would likely agree that the words "proprietary" and "in bed" are inappropriate in this context. It takes way more procurement sophistication than the divisions seem to have to reach that level of cunning.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 12:19 PM   #20
Trailer Park Supervisor

Hahaha Larry, well said.

Tags
water, water filter