Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2014, 04:53 PM   #1

Pump Priming Problem

Our 32RCTS Sabre FW is almost 2yrs old and we've had problems off on on with the waterpump not priming. (Pump runs but no water!) This usually occurs when the water level in the fresh tank is low but not empty.

It also is hard tio get the pump going when I am trying to suck water into the line through the Winterizing port. Beside winteriizing, I use the port to suck fresh water from 6 gal tanks into the fresh water tank by running it thru the outside shower which is near the fresh water inlet. (No room to gravity feed into the tank).

When I was unable to get antifreeze to pump in last Oct, I finaly tried replacing the (new) revolution pump with an older "whisper king" that I keep for a spare...and that worked.

Thinking the pump was bad, I took it into the dealer who upon bench testing found that it would not self prime He then shot some water into it, it ran fine.

The dealer returned the pump to Forest river who of course said the pump works just fine.

ALthough I would like FR to replace the pump, I'm also not completly agianst doing so myself. I'm just not certain at this point if there is a problem with the pump or some other plumbing issue.

Any comments would be apreciated.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:15 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Had this problem with 2 pumps that ran dry. Warranty replaced one and I replaced one.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:32 PM   #3

What you have is an air lock at the pump. The answer to priming the pump is: Connect a pressurized garden hose to the antifreeze inlet. Open the antifreeze intake valve. Turn on pump. The pressure from the hose will prime the pump. Turn the anti freeze inlet valve closed. Make sure you have a nice water level in the tank . Run pump and in a few seconds you should be pumping tank water.. Disconnect the pressurized water hose and you should be good to go. Try not to let TT water tank get almost dry. Like the old hand pump on old farm houses you needed to pour a water prime in the top of the pump to get a seal working for the pump to work. You may need to do this when you de-winterize. Hope this trick helps all.
3.73 Electronic Lock
Max Trailer Tow Package, 600# Equlizer 4
w9ila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:37 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

In addition to what has been mentioned above...any loose connection on the suction side of the pump could be sucking air into the pump causing it to lose it's prime.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump