Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2018, 12:55 PM   #21

After pump starts turn back.
NorSnrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:36 PM   #22

Ok, update on my initial stab at winterizing the TT myself. My friend who is our camper whisperer came over this morning and while we got the TT winterized, here is what I learned for next year:

1. The hose washer inside the antifreeze inlet is made of a stiff rubber-like material. Don swapped the washer with one from another hose I had in the camper and the antifreeze stopped running down the outside of the inlet.

2. I had the valve that goes into the pump in the wrong position. I've drawn myself a little diagram that I will keep for future use

3. I had tried pouring antifreeze directly into the hose but that didn't help. I set the jug of antifreeze on the bumper and that didn't help. Don ended up holding the jug above the level of the antifreeze inlet and that did the trick (along with putting the valve in the right position!).

So, for next year my job is to get a different washer to replace the one in the antifreeze inlet that is too stiff. I will get my little diagram into the TT that shows me what position the valve going to the water heater needs to be in, and I'll use a ladder that I can rig a temporary platform on to get the antifreeze above the level of the inlet.

Next year will go much smoother, I'm sure of it!

One more question: We were going to remove the filter housing from the water line but Don absolutely could not get it loosened (the cartridge is NOT in the clear compartment). I mean he leaned into it and we tried using the white plastic thing that came with the TT and it did not help. Any suggestions on how to break the seal that seems to have formed on the cartridge housing without breaking the whole thing as it is only plastic?

Thanks again everyone, I appreciate all the suggestions, several of which were really useful!
"Know yourself, know your world. Change it." Anonymous
kittlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 06:13 PM   #23
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittlecat View Post
Ok, update on my initial stab at winterizing the TT myself. My friend who is our camper whisperer came over this morning and while we got the TT winterized, here is what I learned for next year:

1. The hose washer inside the antifreeze inlet is made of a stiff rubber-like material. Don swapped the washer with one from another hose I had in the camper and the antifreeze stopped running down the outside of the inlet.

2. I had the valve that goes into the pump in the wrong position. I've drawn myself a little diagram that I will keep for future use

3. I had tried pouring antifreeze directly into the hose but that didn't help. I set the jug of antifreeze on the bumper and that didn't help. Don ended up holding the jug above the level of the antifreeze inlet and that did the trick (along with putting the valve in the right position!).

So, for next year my job is to get a different washer to replace the one in the antifreeze inlet that is too stiff. I will get my little diagram into the TT that shows me what position the valve going to the water heater needs to be in, and I'll use a ladder that I can rig a temporary platform on to get the antifreeze above the level of the inlet.

Next year will go much smoother, I'm sure of it!

One more question: We were going to remove the filter housing from the water line but Don absolutely could not get it loosened (the cartridge is NOT in the clear compartment). I mean he leaned into it and we tried using the white plastic thing that came with the TT and it did not help. Any suggestions on how to break the seal that seems to have formed on the cartridge housing without breaking the whole thing as it is only plastic?

Thanks again everyone, I appreciate all the suggestions, several of which were really useful!
What model water filter?

Two things... did you relieve the water pressure on the system before trying to loosen? And two, the FR1 filter has teeth that lock the bowl. You actually have to push the bowl slightly upward (towards the main body) to disengage the teeth before trying to loosen.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:52 AM   #24

I do not know what model I have. I'm currently out of town for 2 weeks so will check when I get home. Also, will try pushing upward on the filter housing to see if that helps release it.

As far as relieving the water pressure, can you give me an idea of what that looks like/how it is done so I can provide a better answer?

Thanks
Old 10-17-2018, 01:36 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
As far as relieving the water pressure, can you give me an idea of what that looks like/how it is done so I can provide a better answer?
Open any faucet. It will relieve the pressure.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:03 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Open any faucet. It will relieve the pressure.

... with the pump OFF

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:54 PM   #27

Will follow up with those suggestions when I get home!
Old 10-23-2018, 07:26 AM   #28

In our 2017 Rockwood 8289WS the water filter is in a very bad place to have to deal with it every fall and spring. I learned through these forums that many have just removed theirs from the unit. After my first winterization last fall I removed ours as well. We have always used the blue bullet type water filter on the outside hydrant so I just thought why go through the hassle even though it's only twice a year. I'm still able to lay on the floor and get somewhat contorted but dealing with our onboard filter was a real pain for me. Brand new filter and housing is now living on the shelf in the shop.
badger5301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 12:43 AM   #29

I don't use the inline filter either but I need to be sure there is adequate pink antifreeze in the clear housing so it does not freeze/crack. If there is a way to bypass the filter housing completely, I am not aware. Like you, I use the blue bullet-like exterior water filter also.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:45 PM   #30
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
I don't use the inline filter either but I need to be sure there is adequate pink antifreeze in the clear housing so it does not freeze/crack. If there is a way to bypass the filter housing completely, I am not aware. Like you, I use the blue bullet-like exterior water filter also.
kittlekat, there have been literally hundreds of posts on this forum about removing/bypassing the on-board filter housing.

Old 10-24-2018, 11:19 PM   #31

Search the other threads here as stated. I recently saw a post that had a picture of the connector needed to eliminate the filter and housing altogether. Only cost a couple bucks and was easy to install. I just winterized the other day and I have to say it was really nice not having to deal with the filter housing.
badger5301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 06:28 PM   #32

You might have an air lock in your water line. Open the cap to the tank that holds fresh water. A service tech once told me that. I no longer use antifreeze, using compressed air is a lot easier and less messy. Just pour antifreeze down the sink and down the toilet. Good to go in 10 min with 2 people to verify all water is blown out.
LJ17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 06:52 PM   #33
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ17 View Post
You might have an air lock in your water line. Open the cap to the tank that holds fresh water. A service tech once told me that. I no longer use antifreeze, using compressed air is a lot easier and less messy. Just pour antifreeze down the sink and down the toilet. Good to go in 10 min with 2 people to verify all water is blown out.
You forgot pink stuff in the shower drain...

And don't forget to blow out the outside shower!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:25 PM   #34

Winterizing

Before you hook up your hose to pull antifreeze From gallon containers turn the screen around so that the point in the screen points inward. There is a check valve where you hook up your hose and reversing the screen will push the check valve in and it will make winter rising much easier. With screen reverse the pump pull up much easier
Barefoot68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:44 AM   #35
Dryflycaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less is More View Post
I agree with those telling you to lift the jug. I found that if its above the inlet it starts drawing immediately. I usually have my wife hold it on a ladder step.

Does this mean you have a second wife to run around and open each faucet while you watch the bottle to be sure it isn't sucked dry ?

_bill

2017 RAM 2500 Cummings Diesel
2017 Forest River Avenger 27DBS
dryflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:04 AM   #36

Pressure Valve

We couldn't get ours to prime and my husband finally jiggled the pressure valve on the hot water heater. It was lose so once he moved it a little the antifreeze pulled right up.
RuthAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:15 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuthAnn View Post
We couldn't get ours to prime and my husband finally jiggled the pressure valve on the hot water heater. It was lose so once he moved it a little the antifreeze pulled right up.
Just curious RuthAnn, is your WH in the winter bypass mode? What you"re saying shouldn't have any effect if it is, from what I know
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:02 AM   #38

Being a newbie, This was my second time winterizing my motor home and I could not get the antifreeze to flow into the system this year. After a hour or so I noticed the intake hose had a SECOND little white cap besides the screw on cap. Felt kind of dumb, but at least I didn't pay the dealer a hundred bucks. This time I wrote down step by step instructions for next year.
Dovidas1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 10:25 AM   #39

Yes, it was in the bypass mode. We didn't think it should matter either but in reading several online chats about this it said to be sure either the anode was in or plugged and to make sure the pressure valve was closed. As soon as he got the valve tight, it started pulling.
RuthAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 08:16 PM   #40
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot68 View Post
Before you hook up your hose to pull antifreeze From gallon containers turn the screen around so that the point in the screen points inward. There is a check valve where you hook up your hose and reversing the screen will push the check valve in and it will make winter rising much easier. With screen reverse the pump pull up much easier
There's no screen and no check valve in my winterizing port.

There are those items in the city water port but that's not where you connect a hose to have the pump draw antifreeze out of a jug.

Tags
pump, winter, winterize