Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #1

Question For Cold Weather Camping

I just purchased a 2006 Surveyor SV264 in September (our first RV) and we would like to travel with it through November but with cold weather coming on I need to know the best way to prevent any plumbing problems before they happen. We will be traveling Tn and N. Carolina and based on the projected temps the highs will reach into the 40's or 50's and the low's could go into the mid to upper 20's. The trailer is not insulated underneath like some of the newer models are so what would I need to do to prevent plumbing problems? Should I give up on the idea of being able to use it during Nov. and just go ahead and winterize it or can I get by with using it by taking a few precautions along the way? I had thought about disconnecting the city water supply hose at night and reconnecting the next morning once the temps climbed back into the 30's, does that sound reasonable? While it's parked at the house between traveling I just figured I would keep the fresh water tank drained and set the furnace at 65 or 70 degrees to prevent freezing. Is there anything else I could do to insure trouble free camping with the cold weather? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Stingingfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:21 AM   #2

I have the same questions too. I'm heading out tomorrow here in ohio and temps about the same. I'm not too concerned about the fresh water tank as it will be full and I doubt it will freeze... I think we will be ok from freezing lines since the majority of the day will be above freezing.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:44 PM   #3

I think the first thing to do is determine what plumbling is outside the heated areas of your camper. Is the fresh tank underneath the camper frame or inside under the bed or sofa, etc? Do u have any water lines running below the camper.

Our previous TT also did not have an insulated or even covered underbelly and all three tanks were mounted under the camper, but all of the water lines were inside. We were able to camp thru mid Nov here in Michigan, by draining everything between trips and making sure the camper is up to temp before filling with water.

I guess it also depends on the kind of camoping you will be doing. We've stayed at full-hook parks that provided a heat traced water supply so all we had to do was drain the connecting hose at night if the temp was expected below 32.

When relying on the fresh tank for water, we never had a problem as long as the temp did not go below freezing for too many hours. With the camper warm (68-72) it provided enough protection to prevent the tank from freezing...

However on one occasion, we had a wicked overnight cold wind with temps in mid 20's and the tank partially froze. It eventuaslly thawed about mid morning when it got in the upper 30's.

You can add 12 volt heating pads for your tanks...I have no experience with that but I'm sure others here can offer comment.

The bottom line is u just need to be careful, know hetre you plumbing is and keep an eye on the Temp.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:03 PM   #4

Yes my fresh water tank is located beneath the camper and is exposed to the elements along with the black and grey tanks. The fresh water has a supply line near the bottom of the tank that is exposed until it runs into the trailer. It appears that all of the other water lines run inside the walls of the trailer. So if I'm understanding you correctly all I need to do is disconnect my water supply line from the trailer each evening and as long as the living area is heated I shouldn't have much to worry about.
Stingingfork is offline   Reply With Quote