Old 07-05-2017, 03:39 PM   #1
Coachmen Clipper Fan

Question Re: Trailer Priority on Fresh Water Filling

I'm prepping for the first of three big, long trips coming up this summer and while I was working on my Coachmen Clipper 17FQ trailer this past weekend, I also was able to get 10 gallons of fresh water filled via the gravity fill port to have while on the road starting out.

My question is: with a 33-gallon fresh water tank and a 3-gallon Suburban SW3P hot water tank, how soon (and in what ratio, if applicable) does the hot water tank get filled versus the fresh water tank?

That is, does the hot water tank only get filled once the fresh water tank reaches a certain level? I'm just wondering what the minimum amount of water I need loaded up is to be able to take a hot shower or wash dishes?

Thanks, Folks!
Old 07-05-2017, 03:43 PM   #2

Somebody correct me if I am wrong but Once you fill the fresh water tank and run your pumps the hot water tank will fill first if its empty, at least that is what it does when you hook up the main water supply.

2013 Forest River Salem/Sport Fifth WHL
2017 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax/Allison
Curt Q20 Fifth wheel, Champion Inverter3500
US Army Retired
Bikersarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 03:47 PM   #3

X2!
Old 07-05-2017, 03:50 PM   #4

You'll likely want to have them both full. Fill the fresh water tank, purge the air and fill the water heater using the onboard pump. (All you need to do is open the valves) and run the water.

You'll need to fill the freshwater tank again to capacity to do all you want to do. Dishes can take 5or so gallons, a shower or two can take quite a bit more. I wouldn't fill anything other than the minimum needed though most campgrounds normally have at least a water fill station. You don't want to haul 33 gallons of water to your destination though. It's extra weight that's not needed in most scenarios (I usually drain mine before leaving).

Also, you'll fill your gray water tanks partially purging the air from your lines. I'd dump that somewhere and not haul that either.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 03:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikersarge View Post
Somebody correct me if I am wrong but Once you fill the fresh water tank and run your pumps the hot water tank will fill first if its empty, at least that is what it does when you hook up the main water supply.
X3!
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 05:50 PM   #6
Coachmen Clipper Fan

Thank you all--good info to know! Much appreciated!
Old 07-05-2017, 05:58 PM   #7

When filling with water, I will put about 10 gal in, then turn on pump to fill water heater. So when filling is complete both tanks are full. If max fill is what you're looking for. You can open faucet valve to expel trapped air to hold 4-6 more ounces.

Oh btw you most likely have a 30 gal FW tank and 3 gal WH, for a combined total of 33 gal fresh water. They are a bit sneaky in their brochures and ads.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:42 PM   #8
Coachmen Clipper Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhduh camping View Post
When filling with water, I will put about 10 gal in, then turn on pump to fill water heater. So when filling is complete both tanks are full. If max fill is what you're looking for. You can open faucet valve to expel trapped air to hold 4-6 more ounces.

Oh btw you most likely have a 30 gal FW tank and 3 gal WH, for a combined total of 33 gal fresh water. They are a bit sneaky in their brochures and ads.
Thanks for the clarification too, uhduh camping, you are very correct, I'm sure in my 17FQ having a 30-gallon freshwater tank and 3-gallon hot water tank. Spot on! :-)
Old 07-06-2017, 12:58 PM   #9

Also, the first time you stop and hook up to city water your water heater tank will fill automatically when the system is pressurized and it will stay full later when you use the pump or reconnect to city water. This assumes your WH bypass valve is open.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:43 PM   #10
Coachmen Clipper Fan

Thanks, All, for the info, answers and knowledge! I appreciate everyone's input!

Tags
fresh water, trailer, water