Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2019, 07:08 PM   #1

Repeated thumping noise from water pump

Getting a new Wildwood Lodge destination RV set up and having continuous issues. Got the water running using the fresh tank and everything worked well, except all cold, no hot. With repeated phone calls to the dealership service, I found the hot water heater located internally and the valve supplying hot water to the RV was closed. Rotated the valve and hot water flowed. But now the water pump is making a loud thumping noise about every 10 seconds - continuously. The pump and hoses shake significantly when it thumps. The only way I have found to stop it is to turn off the water pump. It is a Shurflo mounted under the bathroom sink. Is this a common problem? Any suggestions?
Grumpy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 07:42 PM   #2

Sounds like it is loosing pressure and turning on briefly to get back to the proper PSI. Might want to look for a leak. Check to be sure the outside water sources are completely off and not dripping.
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 07:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinfever97 View Post
Sounds like it is loosing pressure and turning on briefly to get back to the proper PSI. Might want to look for a leak. Check to be sure the outside water sources are completely off and not dripping.
I would agree look for a leak.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:11 PM   #4

Iím pretty sure I read where the check valve in the pump can leak(if equipped). As opposed to rebuild/replace the pump some people put an inline check in.

Here are a couple easy options

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0213.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	206083Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0214.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	206084
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 11:32 PM   #5

Have been watching for moisture and looking for a leak, but so far have not found anything, A leak is certainly logical, but what puzzles me is that this problem did not start until I opened the valve on the water heater, allowing hot water to the RV. Until then the pump ran as expected. So, I suspect something related to the hot water piping or valves is causing the issue.

Thank you for reading the your suggestions.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:14 AM   #6

Is the hot water tank full?

Ford F150 5.4L B&W Companion Hitch
updated to Andersen Aluminum Ultimate Hitch 2017
drelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 09:14 AM   #7

You indicated that you found a shut off to the hot water heater and turned it on. The plumbing configuration for the hot water supply normally has a by-pass valve to cut the water supply to the water heater for winterizing. Question is, did you open one valve and close the bypass valve? Obviously, turning off the pump worked, but did you see if the knocking stopped by going back to the original valve setting? That could be a place to start trouble shooting.

It is possible that there is an air gap in the system that is causing the pressure sensor to make the pump cycle. That air gap would be causing the hammering noise.

A couple of other questions. Is the camper connected with a hose supplying water? Has the winterizing connection been closed?
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:58 AM   #8

Thanks for the inputs Joe. I will look into what you are suggesting. This is a brand new unit and was delivered just 10 days ago, and I am 2.5 hours from the dealership, so I have been sorting this out by myself and over the phone. Needless to say I am way out of my swim lane. So I am very indebted for all recommendations from much more experienced folks.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:02 PM   #9

Drelec - not 100% sure. Dealership said it was full when it was checked out before delivery. (I am not confident that they did what they say they did or what I expected the to do before delivery.) There is water in the hot water tank because I do get hot water from the taps. I have not checked the pressure release to see what happens, but can do that. Perhaps there is some air at the top of the tank? Hmmmm....
Old 06-04-2019, 11:38 AM   #10

The problem appears to have fixed itself. Took a warm shower and the wild thumping had stopped by the time I was finished. Many thanks to all who read and responded, I appreciate the help.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:07 PM   #11

Prolly just air... maybe a faucet cracked somewhere...and now off. Good deal
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:21 PM   #12

With the outlet valve shut off there was probably a pretty large air gap that took a while to fill.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy86 View Post
Thanks for the inputs Joe. I will look into what you are suggesting. This is a brand new unit and was delivered just 10 days ago, and I am 2.5 hours from the dealership, so I have been sorting this out by myself and over the phone. Needless to say I am way out of my swim lane. So I am very indebted for all recommendations from much more experienced folks.
Look at it this way, you are not out of your swimming lane, you are in the learning pool. You will find a lot of helpful instructors here. Happy camping!
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:44 AM   #14

Had a very slow drip in Hot Low point drain cap that caused similar situation.
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise, pump, water, water pump