Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2021, 01:22 PM   #1

Question Replacing pex fittings

I had trouble with my pressure regulator, dial type, and it made me think I'd like to replace all my fittings with Uponor fittings, if I have Pex A, and then replacing my fixtures.

Anyone performed this upgrade?

Thoughts?

"Is this a game show?"
sugarray40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 01:43 PM   #2

I wouldn’t consider replacing connections that don’t leak with other connections that don’t leak an upgrade. Now if you were having failures, then maybe. I’ve replaced faucets in both my house and my MH when things have failed and although the majority of the connections were made with PEX cinch clamps, none have ever failed. It’s always the faucet or the house bib, etc., never the clamp.

That system has a couple of things going for it. The tool is cheap. $50-$60 if you look. The clamps are cheap and proven. But most importantly, the tool head is small and it’s the easiest of all the systems I’ve used to get into tight quarters like you’ll find in an assembled MH. New construction, use what ever, but remodel or repair, when you have to reach in and maybe even use just one hand, I’ll take the cinch clamps. My $.02.

2006 Dynamax Isata IE 250
420 Ah batteries
400w Solar
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 01:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarray40 View Post
I had trouble with my pressure regulator, dial type, and it made me think I'd like to replace all my fittings with Uponor fittings, if I have Pex A, and then replacing my fixtures.

Anyone performed this upgrade?

Thoughts?

I would stick with the pex . Any up grade might be replacing the plastic fittings with brass . the uponor uses a heat gun to expand the fitting and collar and then it shrinks when it cools . mostly see it on boilers and radiant heat set in concrete floors . The ease and durability of pex and the crimp rings are great .
MR.M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 02:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
I would stick with the pex . Any up grade might be replacing the plastic fittings with brass . the uponor uses a heat gun to expand the fitting and collar and then it shrinks when it cools . mostly see it on boilers and radiant heat set in concrete floors . The ease and durability of pex and the crimp rings are great .
Not sure what you have seen, but there is a tool that stretches the Uponor fittings and they are then placed over the pex and a T or L fitting. The Uponor is then in a state of perpetual constriction. No heat involved.

My reasoning was to get rid of the pressure regulator and not even worry about the water pressure no matter where I go.

"Is this a game show?"
sugarray40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 08:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarray40 View Post
Not sure what you have seen, but there is a tool that stretches the Uponor fittings and they are then placed over the pex and a T or L fitting. The Uponor is then in a state of perpetual constriction. No heat involved.

My reasoning was to get rid of the pressure regulator and not even worry about the water pressure no matter where I go.
It's been 20 yrs since i worked with it . I knew it had an expansion tool but thought it was heated also . The pex clamps hold up just as well under pressure . The weal link is the plastic fittings . replace with brass and it'll handle the pressure just as good . Uponor was used in winnebagos in the early 2000 real PIA to work with when the clamps work just as well imo EDITED to add the other cheap parts will fail like faucets , all plastic fitting , the toilet valves etc remember RV's use cheap stuff
MR.M is online now   Reply With Quote