Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2012, 12:20 PM   #1

Replacing Thermostat in Suburban SW10DE Water Heater

Has anyone replaced a thermostat in a Suburban SW10DE or SW6DE water heater? My water is too hot and I want to change the existing one out to a 130 degree unit. I am not close to my RV and I don't remember any bolts/screws holding this thermostat in. Anyone know how to remove the old thermostat?

2007.5 Dodge 3500 Laramie, 4WD, Dually, 6,7L Diesel
2008 Forest River Sandpiper 375QBQ
dd5087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:40 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

First off, I think that would be a mistake. Yes, they are all hot, you use less hot water because you have to mix some cold in, thus making it more efficient. Second, they are not adjustable, as you probably know. Third, have you located one that is rated for 130 degrees to work with an RV water heater? Now, I'm thinking the 12 volt gas one. The 120 volt electric one, if equipped, will be different.

I have seen my thermostat, on the back side of the tank, but never tried to get it off, or even know how it attaches.. Make sure you kill all the power, even the coach batteries.

Just my two cents.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:03 PM   #3

In response to Windrider, I have the following comments:

There are two different thermostats available for the 120V side, a 130 degree and 140 degree.

Although I have not tested the actual temp of the water in my RV, it is extremely hot. It may be 140 or even higher if the T-Stat is not functioning properly. I have grandkids that are frequently at the RV and according to information I have found on the Internet, a person can receive serious burns with 140 degree water in less than 5 seconds. This makes me want to reduce the temp as low as I can get it. At least 130 degree water extends the serious burn time to about 30 seconds. I would prefer a user adjustable T-Stat but there doesn't appear to be one available,

Not sure I agree with your efficient comment. According to info on the Internet, every 10 degree reduction in water temperature results in a 3%-5% savings in electricity.

In conclusion I am not sure why the RV industry would provide water heaters with a fixed temp of 140 degrees. In residential homes, the recommended setting is 120 degrees and only a dishwasher without a booster heater has a requirement of 140 degrees.

References: energyguide.com and energysavers.gov

Still looking for someone who has changed a T-Stat.

2007.5 Dodge 3500 Laramie, 4WD, Dually, 6,7L Diesel
2008 Forest River Sandpiper 375QBQ
dd5087 is offline   Reply With Quote