Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #1

Revolution pump waists water

I really wanted to install the Shurflo accumulator tank in my last TT but never got around to it. Promised my self it would be one of the first mod's in my new TT till I read the manual on my Shurflo Revolution by-pass pump which states not to be used with accumulator tank. Dang it! Thinking about replacing the revolution with a Whisper King and accumulator tank.

FYI: the revolution requires us to use too much water. The Oxygenics shower head is so efficient turning it down to a nice shower makes the pump cycle. We have to run it harder to draw enough flow for the pump to run continuously in by-pass. We also have to turn the kitchen faucet up more than we want to stop the constant cycling.

Jeff
unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Why is it problem to let it cycle?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:40 AM   #3

I looked at the instruction manual at shurflo and it sounds like your pump is not setup properly. The pump should continue to run if a tap is open. You may want to adjust the pressure setting as discribed in the manual.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
I looked at the instruction manual at shurflo and it sounds like your pump is not setup properly. The pump should continue to run if a tap is open. You may want to adjust the pressure setting as discribed in the manual.
I read the part on operation and adjustment but didn't quite get it. First it states it should not cycle even at a trickle. Mine does not do this.

Operation
This pump is designed for intermittent duty only. The pump operates normally up to about 40-psi, where a spring-loaded by-pass valve opens, allowing flow back from the output side to the input side, providing smooth, steady flow with virtually no cycling, all the way down to a trickle. As a faucet is opened back up, the pressure will drop, the by-pass will close and full flow is again obtained. This allows good flow, even with today’s restrictive showers and pullout sprayer faucets. Performance will vary, of course, depending on the voltage to the pump; lower voltage = lower flow, higher voltage = higher flow. Remember your electrical safety: It is always best to shut power to the pump OFF when leaving the RV unattended.

About The By-Pass NOTE: By-pass adjustment should be performed by professional technicians with proper gauges and equipment.

Now for the adjustment. I assume I leave the "switch" screw alone and adjust the "by-pass" screw. Which way?

The by-pass is a spring loaded diaphragm that opens up allowing water from the discharge side back to the inlet side. The by-pass is set to begin opening at about 40 psi and creating full by-pass at about 62 psi (for 55 psi models), lower pressure pumps will vary depending on the by-pass and pressure switch settings. If the switch or by -pass are adjusted too much, the by-pass and switch shut-off can overlap and THE PUMP WILL NOT SHUT OFF. Screwing the switch screw in clockwise will raise the shut-off pressure. Unscrewing the switch screw counter clockwise will lower the pump shut-off pressure. Screwing the by-pass screw in will raise the pressure at which the by-pass starts and raise the full by-pass pressure. Unscrewing the by-pass screw counter clockwise will lower the pressure at which by-pass starts and lower the full by-pass pressure. WARNING: If full by-pass is reached before the shut-off setting, the pump will not shut off. Full by-passpressure setting should be at least 5 psi higher than pump shut off pressure.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #5

In the trouble shooting section it said that if the pump cycles the cut off pressure may be to low. It might be worth a try to adjust the cut off pressure a little higher and see if this helps. Just remember how far you moved the screw so you can put it back if it makes it worse.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe
In the trouble shooting section it said that if the pump cycles the cut off pressure may be to low. It might be worth a try to adjust the cut off pressure a little higher and see if this helps. Just remember how far you moved the screw so you can put it back if it makes it worse.
Had not though of it from that direction. Maybe I need a pressure gauge.

Thanks, Jeff