Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2022, 08:42 AM   #1

Road Trip Winterization

Hi everyone,

I live in Grand Rapids, MI and have a 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 35QB4 which has tank heaters. We're leaving on Thanksgiving day to head to Phoenix and will be returning late January. This is our first year owning a fifth wheel, and we've never made a trip like this before. From what I'm reading, I should be safe to avoid winterizing our rig and stay in it on our trip down to AZ since the temps shouldn't get below freezing for more than 24 hours until that time. On our trip back in Jan, I'm thinking it'll probably be best to winterize before we leave AZ and stay in hotels on the way back with the lower temps. Does this approach make sense?

Thanks,
Justin
jleasure457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 09:07 AM   #2

If you are using the trailer... keeping it warm inside
you don't have to do anything to the INSIDE

outside... look at at your water connection see if you can add Insulation to the hose
OR
there is some heaters you can use for the city water hoses
https://www.campingworld.com/camco-f...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

There are also tank heaters that will stop the water tanks from freezing.
Old 10-27-2022, 09:33 AM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Welcome to the forum. I see it is your 1st post!

Yes, you should be fine on the way down if the temperatures are what you suggested.

On the return trip, you 'could' stay in the 5th wheel on the trip back until you reach a destination where it is going to remain below freezing and then winterize. We've often winterized at the last stay of our return trip in the fall/winter by having antifreeze with us.

You could also stay in it with it winterized but would be limited to using bottled water and not being able to shower. If you stay at a campground, many of them have heated bath houses open in the winter and you'd basically just be sleeping in your R/V instead of a motel room. Many folks also use medical cleansing wipes for the couple travel days.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 10:08 AM   #4

You have to be flexible!

We go from Dayton Ohio to Houston every year at Christmas.

Our fiver is winterized today.

We carry 5 gallons of water in the rv for use if needed. We drive 240 miles the first day and stop at a full service campground. Charge the batteries. Fill the water tank. Put the hose away.

Turn on the tank heaters. They use. 12 volt. Come on at 40 degrees.

We then travel. I watch weather reports and act accordingly.

As long as temps are 20 plus every day your batteries should handle it. You likely do not have enough batteries for two days, but a generator.

You need a battery monitor. While traveling you should have enough power. The issue you have is you will be running the tank heaters, fridge and furnace. All big users. So you have to watch the batteries.

If you see a real cold snap coming then you stop at a full service site and winterize. Using air I can winterize in minutes.

Be flexible. This is no big deal.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 10:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleasure457 View Post
Hi everyone,

I live in Grand Rapids, MI and have a 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 35QB4 which has tank heaters. We're leaving on Thanksgiving day to head to Phoenix and will be returning late January. This is our first year owning a fifth wheel, and we've never made a trip like this before. From what I'm reading, I should be safe to avoid winterizing our rig and stay in it on our trip down to AZ since the temps shouldn't get below freezing for more than 24 hours until that time. On our trip back in Jan, I'm thinking it'll probably be best to winterize before we leave AZ and stay in hotels on the way back with the lower temps. Does this approach make sense?

Thanks,
Justin
That approach makes sense to me. The only caution would be if the temperature on the way down gets into the mid 20's for a few hours.

Welcome to the forum!

Safe journey.
Old 10-27-2022, 10:41 AM   #6

RVng in that time frame can be tricky (especially your return) Part of RVng is looking at long range wx forecasts. I will say, Jan-Mar in AZ and the states you will return thru, can be tricky, and road conditions can be dangerous

I have lived in the SW for years now and I love AZ. But it can have long and very cold stretches of WX from Jan even thru late Mar, with snow at times and high winds

Be flexible and be prepared Some folks dont like walking to the shower house when its cold. Be aware, just hooking up to shore on the way wont winterize your RV.

I winterized my rig about 2 weeks ago. I saw the temps would be down to 29 degrees for a night coming up for the first time this winter

So I winterized, and sho enough, a night later, it got to 27. I left the grey water drain valve open (by mistake), and there was a tad trickle of water that had frozen right there at the cap. It got to 50 that day: It dosent take long to freeze

Practice now on how to winterize your RV Dont do it on the road the first time if you can help it. See what it takes to do it, choose the method you want, have all the items you need to do it on the road. Stress can be high on winter RV trips, no need to make it worse

I prefer the air compressor tech. Yes, I bought a $150 pancake compressor and wired it in my RV storage compartment, not just for that, but also for other possible needs And yes, I use small amount if antifreeze for the pump. Thats just me

You mentioned winterizing and then staying in hotels on the way back. Not a bad idea, it will just be weather dependant

As said, you will likely experience stretches of below 30 weather in Az during your travel times Take look at typical Jan wx in the Flagstaff area Average low is 17

https://weather.com/weather/monthly/...61f4488d067d99
melvinjo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter