Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2013, 02:44 PM   #1

Rockwood Mini Light 2109S Water Valves

OK, I'm confused!! I looks like there are 4 or 5 "quarter-turn" valves for the water system and none of them are marked. I tried tracing water lines but go and out of view and it's impossible. Two of them appear to be for the cold water side and when I remove an access panel there are two (maybe three but can't remember) on the hot water side. On is on a RED line which I am sure is the hot water from the water heater. There is one that appears to be some kind of cross feed line between a blue line and a red line (cold water/hot water, I'm guessing).
The other valves are on clear lines near the water pump and the water filter.

My question is: What position should all these valves be in? None of them are marked. In the process of winterizing/dewinterizing I turned some of these valves but now I'm sure if I have them back in the right position for normal us.. The "manual" is useless.

HELP!
crabsnbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #2

Hopefully you will take this as me being thorough and not insulting. When the 1/4 valve is "in line" with the pipe, it is open letting fluid go by. When the 1/4 turn valve is perpendicular to pipe it is closed stopping the fluid.
The blue line going in your hot water heater (HWH) is cold water going in and the red line is hot water out to trailer faucets. Those valves should be open when you are using your camper and the line that goes between the red and blue(bypass valve) should be closed. When you winterize, the bypass valve is open and the red and blue valves are closed. This will bypass your HWH and use less rv antifreeze.

The clear lines take water from clean water tank, to the pump and then goes to trailer faucets. The clear lines should be open during normal usage. There probably is a clear short short line that is not hooked into anything with a 1/4 turn on it that comes out of pump. This short line is to pump RV antifreeze throughout trailer and valve should be closed during normal useage. When you want to pump RV antifreeze to winterize, you shut the lines from your tank and open the short line that you put into the gallon of anti freeze.
In short, during normal usage, all water lines should be open position except for bypass on HWH and on the "short" line on water pump. That is how my set up is. Hope this helps.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:47 PM   #3

4 or 5 seem like alot unless 1 is for the anitfreeze siphon tube. Here's a link and pic for ya, hope they help.

RV Water Heater Bypass Systems

Valves are always turned to indicate water flow, so in the pic below the inlet and outlet valve are allowing water to go into and out of the water heater. The bypass valve is turned to block water flow in that pipe.

Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:23 PM   #4

I'm not insulted at all. As for the whether the valve is opened or closed, I did understand that part. The three valves that are on the water heater side are set up like you suggested and it makes perfect sense. The hot and cold lines are both "on" (inline) the crossover valve that appears to mix the hot and cold together is off. The way I understand it, this is normal operation for city water or water tank with the pump. During winterization I would turn both valves off and turn the crossover on to essentially bypass the hot water heater so as not to waste antifreeze in the hot water heater tank.
As for the other two valves, that are on the "white" lines that appear to come from the water supply, I think I have them in the correct position for normal use. One is closed and one is open. When it is time to winterize, I reverse these positions as well as bypass the water heater. It is just a little confusing because so far I have only used full hook ups at camp grounds and have no need to even run the onboard water pump. This is why I was unclear about the two valves that seem to manage flow for the water pump and the filter. Thanks for the reply, brother! Happy camping.
crabsnbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:36 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabsnbeer View Post
As for the other two valves, that are on the "white" lines that appear to come from the water supply, I think I have them in the correct position for normal use. One is closed and one is open. When it is time to winterize, I reverse these positions as well as bypass the water heater. It is just a little confusing because so far I have only used full hook ups at camp grounds and have no need to even run the onboard water pump. This is why I was unclear about the two valves that seem to manage flow for the water pump and the filter. Thanks for the reply, brother! Happy camping.
I think the other 2 valves you're describing are also used in the winterizing process. One of the valves is on the supply line from the fresh water tank, the other valved line is used to draw anti-freeze (from a jug) into the suction side of the water pump to circulate through the camper's water system. For normal operation the line from the tank would be open and the anti-freeze line closed.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote