Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2019, 06:41 PM   #21

I have used dielectric grease on the tank threads and teflon tape on the anode.
cmar273225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:05 PM   #22

I use dielectric grease that is labeled as non toxic. It does conduct electricity but it reduces the oxidation process dramatically and it is heat / water resistant. Not all are the same! Use the one that is labeled as non toxic!
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:29 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboss View Post
I use one of these to clean the threads each time I remove the anode. It's called a "plumber's brush". Any hardware store will have them.
It is a copper fitting brush. Used to clean the inside of copper fittings before soldering the joint. They normally come in sizes from 1/2” up to 2”. Pick the one that fits best. We sometimes cut the handle off and put the end into a drill for better clean up. You won’t end up with rust on the threads. Put pipe thread compound on the threads, not tape and the rust will not return as quickly.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:42 PM   #24

clean rod and threads with a wire brush and apply Rectorseal and re-install.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 10-16-2019, 09:58 PM   #25
Racin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
This always causes a "my dog's faster than your dog" debate... but I use a couple of wraps of white Teflon tape on my threads. I probably wouldn't eat off them but they are not too rough to start and to screw into place.
me 2
Old 10-16-2019, 10:25 PM   #26
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBo View Post
It's important not to insulate the threads on the rod from the hole in the tank. The sacrificial process requires the flow of electricity between the tank liner and the anode (that's right, your water heater is a battery of sorts). Too much sealant tape can block this weak current and defeat the purpose.
I prefer to use a type of pipe dope that is sold like a thick crayon. You just scrape some all around the threads of the anode then screw it in snugly. The waxy dope prevents leaks without isolating the connection, and I never had trouble taking the rod back out later.
Works for me...just my $.02.
This is a wives tale. Teflon tape or Teflon pipe dope still allows perfect conductivity.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 04:52 AM   #27

[QUOTE=upflying;2203398
But I will put a dab of anti-seize on the threads the next time I remove it.
[/QUOTE]

You would do well to use Teflon Tape or RectorSeal instead of some other anti-seize or Thread Lube unless you know that other product is non toxic

Those two aer used in the Plumbing industry on potable water systems.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:16 AM   #28

Quote:
It's important not to insulate the threads on the rod from the hole in the tank. The sacrificial process requires the flow of electricity between the tank liner and the anode (that's right, your water heater is a battery of sorts). Too much sealant tape can block this weak current and defeat the purpose.
I prefer to use a type of pipe dope that is sold like a thick crayon. You just scrape some all around the threads of the anode then screw it in snugly. The waxy dope prevents leaks without isolating the connection, and I never had trouble taking the rod back out later.
Like Mr. Dan, I use 2 wraps of teflon tape. There will still be enough metal to metal contact.

'19 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
'17 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL
Mickey the Rescue Project Schnauzer
Days Camped: '17-39, '18-61, '19-64, '20-38
bedubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:10 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagerjjm View Post
I use dielectric grease that is labeled as non toxic. It does conduct electricity but it reduces the oxidation process dramatically and it is heat / water resistant. Not all are the same! Use the one that is labeled as non toxic!
The definition of dielectric is insulating.
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:15 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbryanpeters View Post
The definition of dielectric is insulating.
Then why does Wal*Mart sell it to put on the base of light bulbs? https://www.walmart.com/ip/Permatex-...-5-oz/37202082

... and why did putting it in the electrical connection for my rear-view camera make the connection conduct electricity without dropping signal?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:20 PM   #31
Trailer Park Supervisor

adjective: dielectric
having the property of transmitting electric force without conduction; insulating.
noun
noun: dielectric; plural noun: dielectrics
a medium or substance that transmits electric force without conduction; an insulator.

I have a feeling we are about to get a physics lesson!
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:57 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwolff View Post
Couldn't find where to ask a new question, so here goes. How do you handle the constant rusting of the threads on the water heater, threads were rusty the even on the day of delivery on new trailer. Was hoping we would get one that didn't need an anode rod or at least to have the design updated so access to it wasn't such a pain in the butt! Seriously suburban make some changes!
We have had our 2011 Rockwood 8265 since new. I was told by an RV mechanic to put about 6-8 wraps of Teflon tape on the thread and it has worked just fine for us. Never a problem to remove the rod. I remove the rod every time we are home and drain the water heater. I then clean the thread with a wire brush and add a new layer of Teflon tape next time we are on the road.

We use our trailer a fair amount, been across Canada and back, BC, Yukon and Alaska, all the way down the west coast to the tip of Baja Mexico. Never a problem with the zink/aluminium rod. We always filter all water we take on board

Anode rods are made from aluminium, magnesium, or zinc, all metals that will “sacrifice” themselves through electrolysis and save the exposed steel water heater tank from a similar fate. At least so I was told.
My RV Cookbook now on Amazon! USA or Canada
Travel Blog
Cooking Blog
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:02 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytwntrvlr View Post
Is there a good reason not to put the anode rod back in the WH after winterizing is complete? In the past I have screwed in a plastic 3/4 inch plug over the winter and now I can not find it. So?

TIA for your ideas and sorry for the hijack

BTW I use a 3/4" tap to remove sludge and rust.

Mike
I leave the anode rod out over the winter but put a wad of foam in the wh bung hole to keep any crawlie things out.

I didn't have a 3/4 tap so used a 3/4 pipe, cut 4 groves w/hack saw in the threaded end and screwed it in and out a few times to clean the threads.

I also coat the threads on bung hole with pure silicone grease .. same as used on diving equipment.
Dakota 1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:17 AM   #34
Trailer Park Supervisor

I have food grade silicon grease I use on seals of my home brewing equipment. Another good idea.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:31 AM   #35

info

vasiline....
Old 10-22-2019, 08:37 AM   #36
Trailer Park Supervisor

the big V was my original plan.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:49 AM   #37
Site Team

Suburban suggests using mineral oil on the threads as per their instructional videos we keep in the FAQ section.

Here is a link:

https://youtu.be/CO3XnDkJ1wU

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 09:38 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwolff View Post
Couldn't find where to ask a new question, so here goes. How do you handle the constant rusting of the threads on the water heater, threads were rusty the even on the day of delivery on new trailer. Was hoping we would get one that didn't need an anode rod or at least to have the design updated so access to it wasn't such a pain in the butt! Seriously suburban make some changes!
Vasoline on threads and Teflon Tape works for me.

Who went in the way before you, to search you out a place to pitch your tents in, in fire by night, to shew you by what way ye should go, and in a cloud by day.

Deuteronomy 1:33
auroraRNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 11:28 AM   #39
2016 Shamrock 183 Hybrid

Electric water heaters have them

I was appalled the first time I removed the rod from my HWH. My dealer laughed and assured me there was "years" of rod left, suggested to reduce my worry factor I could buy a spare for ~$10 and keep it handy.

As mentioned in an earlier post the anode rod first dissolves at the plug end. Even the HWH in your home has a sacrificial rod......without it the electric heating element and metal holding tank would rapidly corrode and fail. When the plug end shows 2-3 inches of "bare" stainless steel cable it should be replaced. Though perhaps better to spend the $10 too soon than to wait too long and dissolve internal workings.

BTW - the galvanic current flows through the water - so use any non-toxic thread sealant.

Happy camping!

Peace/Out

Don't expect Suburban to come up with a HWH w/o such rod.....isn't going to happen.

Remember that rust is just iron oxide....the parts per million that could end up in your hot water flow from the tap has no health implications.
sparty047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 11:54 AM   #40

Quote:
I do not think the amount of Teflon tape matters in reference to 'electric flow' between the sides of the tank and the anode rod.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...d/29821206.cfm

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote