Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2019, 12:32 PM   #1

RV toilet seal same as home?

Slight seep around toilet base; no evidence of leaks elsewhere that could have just been collecting there.
YouTube video has a camper owner replaces his with a Korky waxless seal from Lowe’s. Are these residential toilet ring seals the same as in my 2010 porcelain bowl toilet? Thank you, all who contribute here.

- Bryant
ArmyAV8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 01:18 PM   #2
2012 Solera

Dometic 310 toilet water leak

My 2012 Solera has the Dometic 310 porcelain bowl toilet. While I suspect a standard residential seal would work, I used this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is foam rubber rather than wax. I suspect it is more forgiving of small “wiggles” of the toilet wrt the floor/tank.

Of note, when mine started showing occasional “leakage” that I thought was from this seal, only while traveling, it turned out the seal was not the problem. There should be no water at this seal except when flushing, or if the tank is quite full. My tank was never near full. Water in the toilet is held above the flush ball. For a while I thought the water above the flush ball must be sloshing out during travel - started ensuring toilet bowl was empty before travel - still occasionally got water on the floor near the toilet.

Pulled the toilet. Water came out of the seam between the toilet base and the ceramic bowl. I disassembled the toilet base from the bowl section (note: I later saw in the instruction manual for the toilet it says to NEVER do this). The base of my toilet was filled with water - apparently the gasket and seal at the joint of the base and the bowl section had been slowly leaking into the base, and eventually filled it - and the water would slosh out of the seam between the two while traveling (this seam is not sealed to the outside).

As Dometic says never to disassemble the base from the bowl, the seals are apparently not available (at least I couldn’t find the). I reassembled mine re-using the original seals with silicone sealant. I believe I was successful, and have a better and more durable seal than original. Alternatively, a new Dometic 310 from Amazon lists for <$200.

FYI
Jim
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 02:02 PM   #3

Thank you!

Jim, a substantive and considerate reply! Thank you.
ArmyAV8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 06:37 PM   #4
2012 Solera

You are most welcome. Of note, my comments really relate to my experience with our Dometic 300 series toilet. May not apply to other models.

Good luck with yours -
Jim
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:36 PM   #5

Usually the seals are specific to the model of toilet. We replaced ours in our tt and the replacement seal was foam. The salesperson at the rv parts place said that they were not known for lasting long, so we picked up 2.

Tags
seal