Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2020, 08:05 AM   #1

Salem 263BHXL Water pump

Quick question about a noise coming from my camper I've never noticed before that I assume is coming from my water pump. I recognize the noise coming from my water pump when I'm running water which I know is the pump actively working. However, about every ten minutes or so I hear a soft fluttering noise coming from the pump that lasts a couple seconds. I assume it is coming from the pump as I don't know what else it could be. Is this normal? I have the pump on and am not hooked up to city water.
FrankH35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:43 AM   #2

It may be the pump restoring pressure you might have something leaking by that allows the water pressure to slowly drop to pump cut in so it starts and restores pressure this is a guess on my part. You could verify this by installing a pressure gauge on one of your low point drains and observing what takes place let the forum know what you find.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:49 AM   #3

When I was filling the fresh water tank I did notice it was spewing out more water than usual and I'm wondering if the outside seal may have popped loose. I'm thinking I might need to reglue that seal around the opening where you put in the hose. I'll try that and see if it helps.
FrankH35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 11:56 AM   #4
Site Team

Look for small leaks everywhere. Anywhere the plumbing is routed. Check the T&P (pop off) valve on the water heater too.

If you don't find any leaks anywhere, it could be the check valve in the pump leaking a little relieving the pressure in the system enough every few minutes to kick the pump on.
Old 08-27-2020, 06:57 PM   #5

Nope, not there

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankH35 View Post
When I was filling the fresh water tank I did notice it was spewing out more water than usual and I'm wondering if the outside seal may have popped loose. I'm thinking I might need to reglue that seal around the opening where you put in the hose. I'll try that and see if it helps.
The fresh water tank is not under pressure. The seal is not the cause of your problem.

It could be a leak somewhere. or it could be the check valve (one-way valve) in the water pump. The water pump draw water from the fresh water tank until pressure builds up between the pump and the fixtures. That pressure seems to be leaking away, either through plumbing or backwards through the pump due to a leaky check valve.

The leaky check valve is often found when people hook up to city water. The system leaks back into the fresh water tank until it overflows. You could try hooking up to city water as a test. (In this context, city water means any water coming from a pressurized hose.)

One easy way to fix this is to simply put another check valve in the plumbing in front of the pump.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, salem, water, water pump