Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2021, 10:36 AM   #1

sanitizing black and gray tanks

We bought a used 2021 rv in june 2021. The dealer said they emptied holding tanks etc during prep on delivery day. A few days later at home I opened the black and gray tank valves and release gates and some nasty smelling fluids came out. I sanitized the driveway with plenty of disinfectant and water. I am wondering if I put some pinesol or lysol in the tanks with some water for a few hours if that would harm my tanks.
Thanks.
Bought new popup in 2000. Upgraded to new 5th wheel in 2005. Quit camping in 2015. trade-in both rv and tow vehicle in 2019. We missed rv camping and opted to buy a used, much nicer than our first, popup in 2021.
Tow vehicle: 2019 f150 xlt-- 3.5 EB 4x4 crewcab, max tow package. RV: 2021 HW 296
still-learnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 10:51 AM   #2
Guitar G

Don't use harsh chemicals

I would not put any chemicals into the tanks that are not designed specifically for RV holding tanks. You can't really "sanitize" a black tank, nor should you -- the bacteria in the tank are essential to the process of breaking down the waste. A good holding tank treatment -- I'm partial to Pure Power Blue, but there are lots of others -- will deodorize your tanks so you don't get those smells, without harming the tank, and will help the breakdown process. Also, I would never open the gate valves without a bucket under them -- there's always some liquid left behind.
2019 Ford F-150 3.5L EcoBoost
Guitar G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 12:08 PM   #3

I agree - don't sanitize waste tanks. There needs to be bacteria in them, especially the black tank.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 01:03 PM   #4

Most Super Wal-Marts have at least a small RV section, alternately try a local auto parts store. Both should have both black and gray treatments designed for RV use.
Old 09-20-2021, 05:02 PM   #5

I've used Walmart's TST treatment with good effect. Now I use the Geo system. Never a smell. One thing to check is to make sure your vents are clear. Most tanks are made of plastic, so you won't hurt them by adding chemicals. I live in a dry climate, and I've left my black tank valve open and let it dry with no ill effects. Oxyclean is a sanitizer and oxidizer which will also keep the smell down.
Old 09-20-2021, 05:22 PM   #6
Ree

We have used Thedford blue treatment for 4 years and we are happy and it
is economical to use (we use about 6 oz each in black and 2 gray tanks). We use an orange one from Walmart in the beginning, but the smell was not to our liking. We are in the HOT South and have not had any odor problems. We always dump and clean out prior to our return home from a campground.
From time to time about every 3rd dump, I add a cap full Calgon liquid water softener to try and keep the sensors working properly.
Happy Camping as you enjoy God's green acres..
Old 09-20-2021, 08:23 PM   #7
BMullins46

Finally I get a chance to ask where do you find Calgon? I have checked my Walmarts, local grocery stores, etc.

I would advise AGAINST drying out you black tank as no matter how many times you flush it there will be some solids left in it and they will become as hard as cement if they get dry. Even in the winter when you winterize the trailer you will want some of the "pink" antifreeze in the black tank.

When camping be sure to keep the black valve closed until you are ready to dump it. To prevent getting a surprise shower when I'm ready to dump I installed a clear cap on the sewer connection. I also recommend you get a clear section of sewer pipe either straight or angled and keep it on the connection so you can see when you have flushed the tanks basically clean.

For tank chemicals we use the "Blue Streak" system. It's a little pricey but we like it. Google it for information.
BMullins46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:15 PM   #8
Ree

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMullins46 View Post
Finally I get a chance to ask where do you find Calgon? I have checked my Walmarts, local grocery stores, etc.

I would advise AGAINST drying out you black tank as no matter how many times you flush it there will be some solids left in it and they will become as hard as cement if they get dry. Even in the winter when you winterize the trailer you will want some of the "pink" antifreeze in the black tank.

When camping be sure to keep the black valve closed until you are ready to dump it. To prevent getting a surprise shower when I'm ready to dump I installed a clear cap on the sewer connection. I also recommend you get a clear section of sewer pipe either straight or angled and keep it on the connection so you can see when you have flushed the tanks basically clean.

For tank chemicals we use the "Blue Streak" system. It's a little pricey but we like it. Google it for information.
I recently purchased Calgon on Amazon
I compare Amazon and EBay for best price. I could not find it locally. I would rather buy local.
Ree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:28 PM   #9

Walmart has it.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 05:06 AM   #10

First, your black tank is a "holding" tank, not a septic tank, so killing good bacteria is not an issue. The only thing you should NOT put in your tank is anything that will eat away at plastic, vinyl, rubber etc. Keeping a few gallons of water in the black tank is a good idea to keep that residual waste from hardening, plus that sloshing around after sitting for weeks will help with a good rinse. As far as deodorizers, everyone has a preference.
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 12:13 PM   #11

You donít sanitize a septic tank at home so thereís no reason to sanitize a holding tank.
medalguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, tank