Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2017, 08:03 AM   #1
Rusty Musket

sanitizing water system-how do I get bleach into tank?

I have a Cedar Creek Cottage and noting strong sulfur odors in both cold and hot water lines, so it's time to sanitize the whole system. Using the on-board water pump, I can suck water into the coach, but it will go directly to the hot & cold lines. How do I get the 7 gallons of bleach-water mix (for an 80 gallon fresh water tank) directly into the fresh water holding tank, fill it with additional water from the source (run through the pre-filter and On-the-Go water softener), before transfering that bleach-water mix into the 20-gal hot water heater and hot and cold water lines? The only fresh water inlet that I'm aware of is the hose spigot on the street-side of the coach. Help!
thetinhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:15 AM   #2

There isn't both city and fresh water connections?
In any case, take your empty hose and pour about 8oz of bleach in it, connect your hose to a water supply and fill the fresh water tank. You may want to repeat that process at least once run the onboard pump to open faucets (all) to distribute the mix.
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:16 AM   #3

Put your bleach into garden hose then hook up to fresh water inlet and fill tank.
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:25 AM   #4
Rusty Musket

sanitizing water system-getting bleach mix into tank?

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, all the RV sources I've checked SPECIFICALLY, and in BOLD LETTERS say "Never pour straight bleach into the RV fresh water tank"!
When I had my pop-ups, I could use a modified 2-liter plastic pop bottle with a window cut into it and the bottle mouth placed directly into the water tank inlet. One person would hold the bottle in place while the other would pour the bleach mix into the bottle to transfer into the tank.
With this new coach, the inlet is almost 5 ft off the ground. I could 'jury-rig' the pop bottle in place with duct tape, but I would have to stand on a ladder to pour the mix through the bottle! MAJOR PAIN, but if I have to do it...........
The Tin House
Old 08-26-2017, 08:32 AM   #5

sanitizing water system-how do I get bleach into tank?

Did you ask yourself why rv sources said that? I think you will find what schvarak has suggested is a more than ok way of doing it
arter368rlbhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:37 AM   #6
PhD, Common Sense

Can you enlighten us as to why not?

I have a gravity fill. I partially fill it, add a SMALL amount of bleach, and finish filling. Drain, fill without bleach, and drain again.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:39 AM   #7

I've read many threads here that said to do it exactly how I described it. It all gets mixed any way you do it. You can use a measuring cup to pour the bleach into the hose. The easiest way to do it is if you have a piece of old hose that had only the male end that you connect to the tank inlet. Once you've finished the sanitation process, fill the tank with only fresh water and pump it thru the system again.
You might want to use the city water inlet once your happy with what you've done to the fresh water tank.
Old 08-26-2017, 09:19 AM   #8
Rusty Musket

sanitizing water system-adding bleach to the tank

Sorry, y'all, but the people who have been RV experts for years, all the reputable RV reference sources, and the service personnel in the major RV dealerships, i.e., those who "really know", will advise you NOT to add concentrated (full-strength) bleach solutions into your holding tanks. The key words in the last sentence are "concentrated bleach solution".
Having worked in hospitals for the past 50 years, I can tell you that 8.25% sodium hypochlorite solution (household bleach) is a CORROSIVE TO SKIN, capable of causing severe skin and eye irritation on exposure and chemical burns to broken skin, and a STRONG OXIDIZER to any surface with which it contacts.
And you are suggesting that it be poured full-strength into a poly storage container (fresh water tank) and handled WITHOUT GLOVES or EYE PROTECTION?
Don't believe me? Read the label next time you pick up a bottle of bleach and see for yourself!
Dealerships are now avoiding bleach for water systems SPECIFICALLY for the damage the chemical causes to the lines and parts of the poly tanks exposed to it, and are now using alternate sanitizing solutions, although these new products are more expensive and don't do a better job. It just saves the efforts of having to pour a large-volume bleach mixture directly into the fresh water tank.
Maybe someone will learn the toxicities of bleach solution by reading this discussion. Just because bleach can be purchased off a store shelf doesn't mean it's not dangerous if precautions aren't taken............

Thanks for the suggestions, though!
The Tin House
Old 08-26-2017, 09:34 AM   #9
PhD, Common Sense

Yeah. Everyone puts on rubber gloves and eye protection when doing the laundry.

Until someone gives me a rational reason not to add bleach to a partially-filled tank (not unlike adding bleach to a partially-filled washer), I will continue to sanitize my tank as I always have, taking reasonable precautions to to get bleach on my skin or in my eyes.

BTW, I am going to roll those bleach-free eyes now.
Old 08-26-2017, 09:43 AM   #10

He's stuck on thinking you use a whole gal of bleach. In a 40 gal tank its only 4 oz and in his 80 gal tank it would be 8oz. Wear gloves, eye protection, a mask, and for sure a rubber apron (NOT)
That was sarcasm.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:01 AM   #11

If you want to use bleach than this is the way I would do the filling of the fresh water tank. I do not know if the other poster have a Cedar Creek model or not but for my unit I know it is very different than the other trailers on the market. I have a Cedar Creek 34RL.

OK, measure out a portion of bleach and put this amount in a bucket, than add 1 or 2 gallons depending on bucket capacity. Take the extra hose that is on the side of the service bay that is used for filling up your water tank. Place the selector switch to gravity fed tank (fresh water tank) not city water. Turn on your pump in the trailer and syphon out the bucket of bleach/water. Continue this procedure until you have placed serval gallons of bleach/water into your tank. Let stand and than flush the fresh water tank until bleach is gone.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:07 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
If you want to use bleach than this is the way I would do the filling of the fresh water tank. I do not know if the other poster have a Cedar Creek model or not but for my unit I know it is very different than the other trailers on the market. I have a Cedar Creek 34RL.

OK, measure out a portion of bleach and put this amount in a bucket, than add 1 or 2 gallons depending on bucket capacity. Take the extra hose that is on the side of the service bay that is used for filling up your water tank. Place the selector switch to gravity fed tank (fresh water tank) not city water. Turn on your pump in the trailer and syphon out the bucket of bleach/water. Continue this procedure until you have placed serval gallons of bleach/water into your tank. Let stand and than flush the fresh water tank until bleach is gone.
Another several gals advocate. Raising the BS flag again. No one in their right mind uses that much bleach!!!
Old 08-26-2017, 10:15 AM   #13

Get a water filter that will connect to garden hose. Take out filter and add bleach. Fix upright Turn on water and get after it.

I do not have your background. I do not profess a chemical knowledge. I have gotten bleach on my hands many times(clothing bleach) always wash/rinse hands and still have all fingers.

Or you could just add to the hose...no one will be harmed. I assume the 50 page warning book is about storing 10 gallons of pure bleach in tank. It is your RV. Do as you feel is best.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 10:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schvarak View Post
Another several gals advocate. Raising the BS flag again. No one in their right mind uses that much bleach!!!
They aren't saying 1 or 2 gallons of bleach. He says add a "portion" of bleach to a bucket and then you add a gallon or two of water to dilute what is in the bucket.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 11:08 AM   #15

Quote:

Read my post do not aassumed what you think I am saying!
Old 08-26-2017, 11:22 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
Read my post do not aassumed what you think I am saying!
I read just fine! You said add a portion of bleach in a bucket- never saying just what that portion is. It should be "ounces", not cups or gallons. Depends on the size of your tank. Don't bother replying again, I've put you on disregard!
Old 08-26-2017, 11:28 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetinhouse View Post
Sorry, y'all, but the people who have been RV experts for years, all the reputable RV reference sources, and the service personnel in the major RV dealerships, i.e., those who "really know", will advise you NOT to add concentrated (full-strength) bleach solutions into your holding tanks. The key words in the last sentence are "concentrated bleach solution".

Having worked in hospitals for the past 50 years, I can tell you that 8.25% sodium hypochlorite solution (household bleach) is a CORROSIVE TO SKIN, capable of causing severe skin and eye irritation on exposure and chemical burns to broken skin, and a STRONG OXIDIZER to any surface with which it contacts.

And you are suggesting that it be poured full-strength into a poly storage container (fresh water tank) and handled WITHOUT GLOVES or EYE PROTECTION?

Don't believe me? Read the label next time you pick up a bottle of bleach and see for yourself!

Dealerships are now avoiding bleach for water systems SPECIFICALLY for the damage the chemical causes to the lines and parts of the poly tanks exposed to it, and are now using alternate sanitizing solutions, although these new products are more expensive and don't do a better job. It just saves the efforts of having to pour a large-volume bleach mixture directly into the fresh water tank.

Maybe someone will learn the toxicities of bleach solution by reading this discussion. Just because bleach can be purchased off a store shelf doesn't mean it's not dangerous if precautions aren't taken............

Thanks for the suggestions, though!

The Tin House

Thx but, honestly there are no experts in the rv industry. There maybe so called experts, but I've dealt with various rv techs over the yrs and what I have found is that none of them know much more than your average hands on fix it guy! I've sanatized my rvs for years without any issues.

Carry on theglasshouse
arter368rlbhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 11:33 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by arter368rlbhk View Post
Thx but, honestly there are no experts in the rv industry. There maybe so called experts, but I've dealt with various rv techs over the yrs and what I have found is that none of them know much more than your average hands on fix it guy! I've sanatized my rvs for years without any issues.

Carry on theglasshouse
X 4 gals worth hahaha in a bucket yet! That's a big mess waiting to happen! I too have sanitized my fresh water system a couple times a year since my first rv in 2008. I might use a gal of bleach over a 3year period.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:41 AM   #19
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
I read just fine! You said add a portion of bleach in a bucket- never saying just what that portion is. It should be "ounces", not cups or gallons. Depends on the size of your tank. Don't bother replying again, I've put you on disregard!

Even 4 ounces of near-pure bleach is about 1000 ppm, way more than enough to disinfect.

I pour that from a measuring cup, down a funnel, directly into my FW tank that has been partially filled, before completely filling, draining, refilling, and redraining.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:00 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
Even 4 ounces of near-pure bleach is about 1000 ppm, way more than enough to disinfect.

I pour that from a measuring cup, down a funnel, directly into my FW tank that has been partially filled, before completely filling, draining, refilling, and redraining.
My process is similar to yours except for the funnel -- my freshwater fill has a screen in it. Over the years, I've read very often to use 1/4 cup bleach per 15 gals so, a 40 gal tank would call for about 3/4 cup. How I do mine is connect the male end of my hose to the fresh water fill inlet and allow it to empty a bit of the hose before pouring a half to 3/4 cup of bleach into the female end attach it to my faucet and fill the fresh water tank-- mixiing it in the process. let if sit for a while then using the pump, open faucets (A couple at a time) both hot and cold to sanitize the whole system. When done with that, refill the fresh water tank with plain water and pump it thru the system again to flush out any remaining bleach.

Tags
tank, water