Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2017, 08:19 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Georgia
Posts: 623
Secret to anode rod not leaking in water heater?

Is there a secret to installing the anode rod in the water heater without it leaking? I put several layers of plumbers tape and inserted it, but it allows the smallest amount of water to leak. Just enough to dampen below the anode rode. Tempted not to mess with it anymore but if someone has a secret to perfect installation, let me know.

Thanks.
__________________

__________________
2014 Sunseeker 2860DS
gmacklem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:28 AM   #2
Member
 
lozki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 34
You should just need to rap it with Teflon tape and screw it in nice in tight ive never really had one leak on me but I've seen the pressure valve can leak
__________________

lozki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:31 AM   #3
Site Team
 
Flybob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 11,192
One to two turns max of teflon tape and insert it til snug. Occasionally there will be a small drip, but is should stop fairly quickly.
__________________

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:50 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 326
I bought a really thick tape at Lowe's that did the trick. I think it is blue in color.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-0...s-Tape/4751307
__________________
Les & Heidi Kramer
2010 GMC Sierra SLE & 2014 Shamrock 23IKSS
Cleveland, OH
cpd1343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:53 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Iwannacamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,307
If you mess with it any more... there are premium tapes out there. The are called "20 mil. or 3 wrap tape etc. The Mil-Rose company AKA Clean Fit makes excellent products as I am sure others do. It doesn't matter what color you find it will all work. Some people paste and then tape. My figuring is that you have something wrong with the threads or the connection or you have Harbor Freight type tape.
__________________
2017 Puma 297RLSS
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 diesel SMOKER!!
I love puns, irony and tasteless jokes...
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:53 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 111
Teflon tape is good but I stay away from it on larger fittings (like an anode rod) because it can bunch up as the fitting is threaded in. Pipe dope is in my tool kit in the camper. I always use it on the anode and have never had a leak.
limblips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:09 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
B and B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 10,625
Send a message via AIM to B and B
Need to wrap the tape in the right direction so it stays were it should when turning the rod in.
I use standard white tape. I do use pipe dope on propane connections.
B and B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:17 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
retired06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: S.E. Michigan
Posts: 159
Remember that this has a tapered thread and if you really crank and turn past where the two tapers meet, you're defeating the purpose. If you know someone who has a 3/4 pipe tap, you could clean up the threads a little. Might help some.
__________________
Don't worry about the mule, just load the Wagon!
2015 Grey Wolf 19RR (Wagon )
2014 F150 XLT ECO Boost max tow (mule)
retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:18 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
onetonford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: TEMP for now
Posts: 1,148
I found on mine it was leaking when I brought it home from dealer. Found that they had crossed threaded it (it was in a few threads). If that is the case I found out that you have to push down on end of it when starting it. It should screw in quite a few threads before it starts to tighten then snug it up.
__________________

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:26 AM   #10
Site Team
 
Mr. Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Grayson County, Texas
Posts: 13,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by onetonford View Post
I found on mine it was leaking when I brought it home from dealer. Found that they had crossed threaded it (it was in a few threads). If that is the case I found out that you have to push down on end of it when starting it. It should screw in quite a few threads before it starts to tighten then snug it up.
Yep... this ^^^^^ and

this
Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Need to wrap the tape in the right direction so it stays were it should when turning the rod in.
I use standard white tape....
__________________
SEARCH is your friend!
FR Wildcat 295RSX / GMC Sierra

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 = 26; booked = 42
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:28 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
W5CI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Carlisle, Arkansas
Posts: 1,332
Teflon tape and tighten with a socket, No Leak
__________________
2005 Cedar Creek 30RLBS/TrailAir Hitch/ MORryde 7K IS/Disc Brakes/ PI PT-50 EMS/ RV Flex Armor Roof
2015 RAM 3500 DRW 6.7 Cummins 3.42/ Garmin 760RV
40 Gal TransferFlow fuel tank/ TST 507
Amateur Radio W5CI 2017 Days Camping 77
2018 Days Camping 44
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:56 AM   #12
Pickin', Campin', Mason
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 11,941
I agree with cleaning up the threads.
Those anode rod port threads seem to rust quickly.
__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel-Goodyear Endurance Tires
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4 - Factory Puck B&W Companion
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=83
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:29 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 2,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by limblips View Post
Teflon tape is good but I stay away from it on larger fittings (like an anode rod) because it can bunch up as the fitting is threaded in. Pipe dope is in my tool kit in the camper. I always use it on the anode and have never had a leak.
+1. All I use actually. I habitually wrap the tape the wrong way. Pipe dope, no wrong way...
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:41 PM   #14
KJPapa
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 55
Anode rods require electrical connection through the thread

Remember, the anode rod must be in electrical connection with the hot water heater tank to serve the purpose of preventing corrosion of the tank. If you use too much pipe dope or too much tape you will cut off the current flow from the rod to the tank and eliminate the effectiveness of the rod. There must be metal on metal somewhere in the thread connection for the anode rod to work.
A good indicator is that if your rod is not corroding it is not protecting the tank. The rod must be sacrificial. Just a thought when installing.
__________________
2013 Columbus 320RS
2001 Silverado 2500HD 8.1L Allison Trans
Nights Camped 2014- 120 , 2015-61, 2016-96,
2017-178
kjpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:48 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Sun City Center
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjpapa View Post
Remember, the anode rod must be in electrical connection with the hot water heater tank to serve the purpose of preventing corrosion of the tank. If you use too much pipe dope or too much tape you will cut off the current flow from the rod to the tank and eliminate the effectiveness of the rod. There must be metal on metal somewhere in the thread connection for the anode rod to work.
A good indicator is that if your rod is not corroding it is not protecting the tank. The rod must be sacrificial. Just a thought when installing.
I would disagree with this comment, there is no electrical connection with the hot water tank, but through a process call electrolysis!

The Anode Rod
An anode rod is a long metal rod, usually formed of magnesium or aluminum around a steel wire core. The rod is inserted into the water heater storage tank, where it slowly degrades. As long as the anode rod is degrading in the tank, the tank lining will be protected from rusting. This is accomplished through a process called electrolysis, by which the metals in the anode rod attract ions that normally cause rust in iron and steel. These ions are what cause the anode rod to degrade over time. Unfortunately, the protection the anode rod provides is not permanent. Eventually, the anode rod will degrade to the point where it can no longer attract the ions that cause rust. At that point, the rod will need to be replaced in order to maintain protection for the water heater tank.

Two wraps of teflon tape are normally all that is needed to stop the leaking from the connection. Occasionally I have used the teflon tape and a little pipe dope with the tape to stop a stubborn leak. Just make sure that the anode rod is put in correctly and not cross threaded. As another has said you should be able to turn the fitting several turns before it gets snug and then you need to tighten with a socket.
floridela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:53 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridela View Post
I would disagree with this comment, there is no electrical connection with the hot water tank, but through a process call electrolysis!



The Anode Rod

An anode rod is a long metal rod, usually formed of magnesium or aluminum around a steel wire core. The rod is inserted into the water heater storage tank, where it slowly degrades. As long as the anode rod is degrading in the tank, the tank lining will be protected from rusting. This is accomplished through a process called electrolysis, by which the metals in the anode rod attract ions that normally cause rust in iron and steel. These ions are what cause the anode rod to degrade over time. Unfortunately, the protection the anode rod provides is not permanent. Eventually, the anode rod will degrade to the point where it can no longer attract the ions that cause rust. At that point, the rod will need to be replaced in order to maintain protection for the water heater tank.



Two wraps of teflon tape are normally all that is needed to stop the leaking from the connection. Occasionally I have used the teflon tape and a little pipe dope with the tape to stop a stubborn leak. Just make sure that the anode rod is put in correctly and not cross threaded. As another has said you should be able to turn the fitting several turns before it gets snug and then you need to tighten with a socket.


I think you are missing the point. In order for the anode rod to do its job, it must be connected to the tank. This "connection" is done via the threads. That is what was meant by an "electrical connection"... which is true. Electrolysis is electrical in nature.

Loading up the threads with teflon tape can isolate the anode rod rendering it useless.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:03 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Sc00ter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Aurora, Co
Posts: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I agree with cleaning up the threads.
Those anode rod port threads seem to rust quickly.
Agreed x2! One quick fix I found was to get one of those cheap 3/4" stainless pipe brushes from the plumbing aisle of any hardware store. Cut off the plastic handle and chuck the rest of the brush in the cordless drill. Run that in the port with some water dribbled on it to wash away the rust and it seems to do a quick job of cleaning it out. As always wear gloves and safety glasses as there is always flying rust and possible sharp bristles.
__________________
2015 puma 295bhss
2009 ram 3500 6.7l ctd
Sc00ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:16 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Iwannacamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,307
stainless/bronze shotgun cleaning bush on a drill?
__________________
2017 Puma 297RLSS
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 diesel SMOKER!!
I love puns, irony and tasteless jokes...
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:21 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
nomad297's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 3,893
Neither pipe dope or teflon tape will hinder the continuity of the male threads on the anode rod and the female threads on the tank. I don't care how much you use.

Bruce
__________________
2016 Rockwood Windjammer 3029W Diamond
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ 6.0 Crew Cab 4x4 Long Bed 4.10:1 SRW
nomad297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:29 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Sun City Center
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Neither pipe dope or teflon tape will hinder the continuity of the male threads on the anode rod and the female threads on the tank. I don't care how much you use.

Bruce
I couldn't agree more!
__________________

floridela is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
anode, heater, leak, water, water heater

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:15 AM.


×