Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2017, 08:19 AM   #1

Secret to anode rod not leaking in water heater?

Is there a secret to installing the anode rod in the water heater without it leaking? I put several layers of plumbers tape and inserted it, but it allows the smallest amount of water to leak. Just enough to dampen below the anode rode. Tempted not to mess with it anymore but if someone has a secret to perfect installation, let me know.

Thanks.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:28 AM   #2

You should just need to rap it with Teflon tape and screw it in nice in tight ive never really had one leak on me but I've seen the pressure valve can leak
lozki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:31 AM   #3
Site Team

One to two turns max of teflon tape and insert it til snug. Occasionally there will be a small drip, but is should stop fairly quickly.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:50 AM   #4

I bought a really thick tape at Lowe's that did the trick. I think it is blue in color.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-0...s-Tape/4751307
cpd1343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:53 AM   #5

If you mess with it any more... there are premium tapes out there. The are called "20 mil. or 3 wrap tape etc. The Mil-Rose company AKA Clean Fit makes excellent products as I am sure others do. It doesn't matter what color you find it will all work. Some people paste and then tape. My figuring is that you have something wrong with the threads or the connection or you have Harbor Freight type tape.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:53 AM   #6

Teflon tape is good but I stay away from it on larger fittings (like an anode rod) because it can bunch up as the fitting is threaded in. Pipe dope is in my tool kit in the camper. I always use it on the anode and have never had a leak.
limblips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:09 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Need to wrap the tape in the right direction so it stays were it should when turning the rod in.
I use standard white tape. I do use pipe dope on propane connections.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:17 AM   #8

Remember that this has a tapered thread and if you really crank and turn past where the two tapers meet, you're defeating the purpose. If you know someone who has a 3/4 pipe tap, you could clean up the threads a little. Might help some.
retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:18 AM   #9

I found on mine it was leaking when I brought it home from dealer. Found that they had crossed threaded it (it was in a few threads). If that is the case I found out that you have to push down on end of it when starting it. It should screw in quite a few threads before it starts to tighten then snug it up.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:26 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetonford View Post
I found on mine it was leaking when I brought it home from dealer. Found that they had crossed threaded it (it was in a few threads). If that is the case I found out that you have to push down on end of it when starting it. It should screw in quite a few threads before it starts to tighten then snug it up.
Yep... this ^^^^^ and

this
Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Need to wrap the tape in the right direction so it stays were it should when turning the rod in.
I use standard white tape....

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:28 AM   #11

Teflon tape and tighten with a socket, No Leak
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:56 AM   #12
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I agree with cleaning up the threads.
Those anode rod port threads seem to rust quickly.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by limblips View Post
Teflon tape is good but I stay away from it on larger fittings (like an anode rod) because it can bunch up as the fitting is threaded in. Pipe dope is in my tool kit in the camper. I always use it on the anode and have never had a leak.
+1. All I use actually. I habitually wrap the tape the wrong way. Pipe dope, no wrong way...
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:41 PM   #14
KJPapa

Anode rods require electrical connection through the thread

Remember, the anode rod must be in electrical connection with the hot water heater tank to serve the purpose of preventing corrosion of the tank. If you use too much pipe dope or too much tape you will cut off the current flow from the rod to the tank and eliminate the effectiveness of the rod. There must be metal on metal somewhere in the thread connection for the anode rod to work.
A good indicator is that if your rod is not corroding it is not protecting the tank. The rod must be sacrificial. Just a thought when installing.
2017-178
kjpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:48 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjpapa View Post
Remember, the anode rod must be in electrical connection with the hot water heater tank to serve the purpose of preventing corrosion of the tank. If you use too much pipe dope or too much tape you will cut off the current flow from the rod to the tank and eliminate the effectiveness of the rod. There must be metal on metal somewhere in the thread connection for the anode rod to work.
A good indicator is that if your rod is not corroding it is not protecting the tank. The rod must be sacrificial. Just a thought when installing.
I would disagree with this comment, there is no electrical connection with the hot water tank, but through a process call electrolysis!

The Anode Rod
An anode rod is a long metal rod, usually formed of magnesium or aluminum around a steel wire core. The rod is inserted into the water heater storage tank, where it slowly degrades. As long as the anode rod is degrading in the tank, the tank lining will be protected from rusting. This is accomplished through a process called electrolysis, by which the metals in the anode rod attract ions that normally cause rust in iron and steel. These ions are what cause the anode rod to degrade over time. Unfortunately, the protection the anode rod provides is not permanent. Eventually, the anode rod will degrade to the point where it can no longer attract the ions that cause rust. At that point, the rod will need to be replaced in order to maintain protection for the water heater tank.

Two wraps of teflon tape are normally all that is needed to stop the leaking from the connection. Occasionally I have used the teflon tape and a little pipe dope with the tape to stop a stubborn leak. Just make sure that the anode rod is put in correctly and not cross threaded. As another has said you should be able to turn the fitting several turns before it gets snug and then you need to tighten with a socket.
floridela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:53 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridela View Post
I would disagree with this comment, there is no electrical connection with the hot water tank, but through a process call electrolysis!

The Anode Rod

An anode rod is a long metal rod, usually formed of magnesium or aluminum around a steel wire core. The rod is inserted into the water heater storage tank, where it slowly degrades. As long as the anode rod is degrading in the tank, the tank lining will be protected from rusting. This is accomplished through a process called electrolysis, by which the metals in the anode rod attract ions that normally cause rust in iron and steel. These ions are what cause the anode rod to degrade over time. Unfortunately, the protection the anode rod provides is not permanent. Eventually, the anode rod will degrade to the point where it can no longer attract the ions that cause rust. At that point, the rod will need to be replaced in order to maintain protection for the water heater tank.

Two wraps of teflon tape are normally all that is needed to stop the leaking from the connection. Occasionally I have used the teflon tape and a little pipe dope with the tape to stop a stubborn leak. Just make sure that the anode rod is put in correctly and not cross threaded. As another has said you should be able to turn the fitting several turns before it gets snug and then you need to tighten with a socket.

I think you are missing the point. In order for the anode rod to do its job, it must be connected to the tank. This "connection" is done via the threads. That is what was meant by an "electrical connection"... which is true. Electrolysis is electrical in nature.

Loading up the threads with teflon tape can isolate the anode rod rendering it useless.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I agree with cleaning up the threads.
Those anode rod port threads seem to rust quickly.
Agreed x2! One quick fix I found was to get one of those cheap 3/4" stainless pipe brushes from the plumbing aisle of any hardware store. Cut off the plastic handle and chuck the rest of the brush in the cordless drill. Run that in the port with some water dribbled on it to wash away the rust and it seems to do a quick job of cleaning it out. As always wear gloves and safety glasses as there is always flying rust and possible sharp bristles.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:16 PM   #18

stainless/bronze shotgun cleaning bush on a drill?
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:21 PM   #19

Neither pipe dope or teflon tape will hinder the continuity of the male threads on the anode rod and the female threads on the tank. I don't care how much you use.

Bruce
Old 04-12-2017, 07:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Neither pipe dope or teflon tape will hinder the continuity of the male threads on the anode rod and the female threads on the tank. I don't care how much you use.

Bruce
I couldn't agree more!
floridela is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anode, heater, leak, water, water heater