Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2022, 02:30 PM   #1

Sewer caps - one size fits all or sized

We recently bought a "new to us" Class C, 2005 Sunseeker 2900 LTD. Being a newbie (and it being very cold the day we brought her) I failed to notice that the end cap on the black/grey drain was missing. I'm going to have buy one and was wondering if they are a "one size fits all" or are they specific sizes for specific models of RVs?

I am assuming they are all the same standard size, but if I'm wrong please correct me.
Old 03-02-2022, 02:57 PM   #2

They are pretty much 'one size fits all'.

We usually buy this one because we frequently camp on private land where they allow us to dump 'grey' water. You can attach a spare water hose and dump the grey water only. https://smile.amazon.com/Valterra-T1...s%2C184&sr=8-6

The other alternative is one that contains another valve, but it doesn't fit all rigs. We use this one because occasionally our valves will leak while traveling.
https://smile.amazon.com/Valterra-T5...%2C184&sr=8-12
Old 03-02-2022, 02:58 PM   #3
Mopar Guy

every rv I have encountered are the standard 3" bayonet style.
Cost4133 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 04:30 PM   #4

Thanks guys for the input.
@Cost4133 That's sort of what I thought.

@Reverse_snowbird
Thanks for those links. The second one I was already considering and was on my list of parts to get. The first on I had not seen before so thanks again for that.

I am not certain, but there was a warning label on my rig that stated a "cap" was mandatory for when traveling and took that literally to mean a capped off end and that putting another gate valve on would not satisfy that requirement. I guess my fear was if I'm heading down the road and some over eager official type sees my rig go by without a cap if I'm going to get hauled over for it not having a "cap" style covering.
Old 03-02-2022, 04:51 PM   #5
Guitar G

Better Valterra Valve Cap

We got this one from Amazon (also available from WalMart) that has a handle, so it's much easier to get off than the standard one. Has the garden hose fitting as well for dumping grey water where permitted.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-F02-.../dp/B0006MRR2Q
2019 Ford F-150 3.5L EcoBoost
Guitar G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 02:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitbread View Post
I am not certain, but there was a warning label on my rig that stated a "cap" was mandatory for when traveling and took that literally to mean a capped off end and that putting another gate valve on would not satisfy that requirement. I guess my fear was if I'm heading down the road and some over eager official type sees my rig go by without a cap if I'm going to get hauled over for it not having a "cap" style covering.
Most states have some type of regulation because they don't want sewage accidentally spilling on the road as your driving.
Caps accidentally get left off in the process of dumping and leaving a campground. Even if it's attached, they get detached while driving to the next site. Ours has even unscrewed itself if we accidentally bottom out. So we carry a spare.

Guitar G, I haven't seen that cap. That will be my next 'spare'. Thanks for sharing the link.
Old 03-03-2022, 02:26 PM   #7
D W

While your at it, you may want to pick one of these gasket kits. They come in handy if you have a connection leak:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-398...apter/54803771
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 11:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
They are pretty much 'one size fits all'.

We usually buy this one because we frequently camp on private land where they allow us to dump 'grey' water. You can attach a spare water hose and dump the grey water only. https://smile.amazon.com/Valterra-T1...s%2C184&sr=8-6

The other alternative is one that contains another valve, but it doesn't fit all rigs. We use this one because occasionally our valves will leak while traveling.
https://smile.amazon.com/Valterra-T5...%2C184&sr=8-12
I also use the one with the water hose connection and I make sure it is at the bottom when installed . Also I am in the habit of holding the sewer hose below the hose connection when I'm hooking it up in case it the sewer valve leaks and I can catch it at least most of it. My valves had cracked and caused it to leak and not expecting it made an awful mess. Also sometimes sewer will leak past the valve. Just my thoughts and experience with this , hope it helps. And if you don't get the gate valve closed all the way it will be a suprise, just ask me how I know this,Lol
FishRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 12:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishRich View Post
My valves had cracked and caused it to leak and not expecting it made an awful mess. Also sometimes sewer will leak past the valve. Just my thoughts and experience with this , hope it helps. And if you don't get the gate valve closed all the way it will be a suprise, just ask me how I know this,Lol
Our valves didn't crack, but sometimes when driving down the road, the sewage leaks past the valve. We dump before we leave the campsite, but sometimes the toilet gets used during travel. That's why we use the 2nd valve ((the Valterra). It doesn't fit on all rigs, but it fits on most that have regular dumping valves. It prevents the 'surprise' some of us have experienced when dumping.
You attach the sewer hose, open the valve and anything that has leaked past the rig's valve will be dumped into the sewer. Then you dump as normal. It's another layer of protection that we prefer to having a 'surprise'.
Old 03-08-2022, 01:32 PM   #10

Bought this one when I "lost" the original one that came with the TT. It doesn't have the garden hose fitting but it works fine.

Valterra T1020VP Waste Valve Cap - 3" Bayonet, Black

I also have the cap with the garden hose fitting.

Camco Durable Sewer Cap with Hose Connection

Both can be found on Amazon.
LivingToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 12:25 AM   #11

There were quite a few responses, and I didn't read all of them.

You have your answer that RV dump plumbing connections are standardized.

I have a couple of suggestions that may repeat others.

1) A short, clear adapter is terrific for monitoring the dump.

2) A black tank cap is available with a garden hose adapter...helpful if you boondock, your grey water dump merges with your black tank dump, and you need to dump grey water before you get to a dump station.

3) If your rig is older and it doesn't have a black tank flush, a back-flush adapter can aid in flushing out the black tank. The extra gate valve allows you to push water from a garden hose back up into the tank repeatedly and rinse out any solids or tissue residue in the tank.

All of these items are standardized to fit any conventional RV sewer dump connection...all with bayonet quick connects, and all will accept a "stinky slinky" sewer hose.

Again, I imagine I repeated others. Also, the links are illustrations, not recommendation. There are quite a few choice for each product type.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
size